Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2018, 07:45 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Parents today suck
I was stuck on a Continental flight from Paris to Houston where a bunch of guys in the back of the plane got drunk, starting being loud and annoying, broke all the toilets, and there were too many of them for the flight attendants to deal with, so they didn't do a damn thing AND they wouldn't let us go up to first class to pee.

Every single ahole that has ever reclined a seat onto my knees was an adult.
Every single person who kneed my seat repeatedly (one even broke it) to get into a sleeping position has been an adult.

Grownups can be worse than kids. And they usually are.
That being said, I haven't had a flight with my kids yet where they haven't been complimented on their behavior (3, 6). So I don't know what was wrong with this mother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2018, 08:28 PM

8,673 posts, read 22,905,462 times
I'm sure many posters here were on my flight complaining about me and my 1.5 year old many years ago as we flew from D.C. to Dallas. I remeber those looks well. My son had flown since he was 6 months old without a problem. We boarded that plane out of Dulles and not even 30 minutes, probably closer to 10 minutes, he was crying and screaming, kicking and hitting - much like this child in the video. I would have gladly paid to touch down somewhere near the Mississippi. My fellow passengers (the ones not glaring) and the flight crew attemped to assist. Minor success, but it was an awful trip. We got to my dad's and my son had calmed down somewhat, but as soon as he caught his breath, he started up again. No fever. Tried to give him a drink and the cup or bottle flung across the room.

I was exhausted, but asked my dad to take us to the nearest ER. In less than an hour we found out we had two ruptured eardrums. Not at all unusual I came to find out, primarily in children (but can happen to adults) when flying. We finally got some peace and quiet, but talk about a guilt trip. My son is now 30, it's a joke now, he will remind me about the time I was a bad parent. Young kids under 5 may not be able to express what is wrong when in pain. Pain is not something they can explain without a direct cause (like a fall).

While I would not want to be on that flight, I agree with posters that said passengers should be reasponsible for their own comfort (ie airplugs). I know i wish i had them.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:35 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,552,729 times
I fly regularly including from the U.S. to Germany. I have seen very poor behavior, but...this is by far the worst.

I would have a mental breakdown if I were on this flight.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:59 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,856,551 times
My children were 11, nine and eight, when they flew for the first time. Days before flying, we showed them YouTube videos of young children flying. They had zero issues.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:12 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,232,601 times
he really did sound demonic. i hate to say that, but that was some wild screaming. wow.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:53 PM

1,425 posts, read 1,385,975 times
I had twins, under one year old, on a 10-hrs flight, plus their 5-6 years old sis, all immediately behind me. They were screaming non-stop, she was kicking my chair every couple of minutes. Mom was reading a book. I ended up telling her that they all deserved to be aborted, including her.

Old 02-15-2018, 11:32 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainmidnight View Post
Wow, so many judgements in here!

Sorry, I must have missed the list of rights you have as user of public transportation. Where is that? Airline websites? And I don't see rights to a peaceful journey in the Bill of Rights or Ten Commandments..?

Want guaranteed peace in your travels? Hire a private charter and don't complain about the price because well, sometimes you have to pay extra for convenience.

Nice to see all these former 'Parent of the Year' winners in this thread. I'm sure most of you had tantrums as a child yourself or your own children and you just forgot about them or blocked them out.

And say the parent gave the child some soda and chocolate and the kid calmed down. Would that be ok or would want CPS to be waiting at the destination airport?
The kid was a nuisance for 8 hours. Its perfectly reasonable to NOT expect that.

Possible "special needs" or not, it isn't okay. Medicate your damn kid for the fight if he carries on like this. There is no excuse.

Old 02-15-2018, 11:44 PM

581 posts, read 455,982 times
I think people would be more sympathetic if the mother was actually attempting to do something about her child's behavior, but when "discipline" is limited to a lethargic "calm down, honey" while her demon spawn is shattering the eardrums of every passenger in a fifteen-row radius, then yeah, she deserves to be judged.

Old 02-16-2018, 12:17 AM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I can just envision the mother now. On her Facebook probably posting anti Trump garbage and saying "calm down honey" over and over while not taking her eyes from the screen.

Everyone get's a trophy, every child is perfect. We live in Utopia.
I apologize for this political post, but this thread was in politics at the time.

Old 02-16-2018, 02:49 AM

835 posts, read 474,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainmidnight View Post
Wow, so many judgements in here!

Sorry, I must have missed the list of rights you have as user of public transportation. Where is that? Airline websites? And I don't see rights to a peaceful journey in the Bill of Rights or Ten Commandments..?

Want guaranteed peace in your travels? Hire a private charter and don't complain about the price because well, sometimes you have to pay extra for convenience.

Nice to see all these former 'Parent of the Year' winners in this thread. I'm sure most of you had tantrums as a child yourself or your own children and you just forgot about them or blocked them out.

And say the parent gave the child some soda and chocolate and the kid calmed down. Would that be ok or would want CPS to be waiting at the destination airport?
Airlines are not “public transportation” - they are private entities just like any other company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting