U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 11:48 AM

47,165 posts, read 47,156,321 times

Advertisements

My dd took horseback riding lessons and on Saturday and Sunday she and her friends mucked out the stalls and put the horses out for cash and a discount on their lessons. That's when she was 12, 13, 14. Then at 15 she got a job in a pizza place for a short time, and then a Dunkin Donuts opened in town just as she turned 16 so she got a job there and stayed until she graduated from high school. She bought her own laptop with the Dunkin Donuts money and was so thrilled to be able to pay for that herself.

A good outcome also of her having her own job was that as a younger teen, she went through that thing where she wanted the popular brand-name sneakers and sweaters and whatnot. Once she was spending her own money, she found the stores where you could get three items for the price of one at the name-brand stores.

I got a Mother's Day card from her a few years ago ago that said, "Thank you for teaching me never to pay full price for anything."

I felt as though I had done my job!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2018, 07:49 AM

1,587 posts, read 2,443,472 times
My oldest isn't of an allowance-age yet, so I can only go by what my parents did.

Early to mid 90s, my allowance was $20/week on the high end. $10 was a "gimme" in that I had two options with that $10:

- Buy school lunch for $2/day
- Make my own lunch and pocket the $10

But the latter was only an option if I wanted to eat PBJ 5 days/week. But, that's more than some kids had.

The other $10 was doing chores. The scope of chores was well defined. Empty the dishwasher, set the table, throw out the garbage, mow the lawn weekly. It worked well enough until I found better ways to earn money such as mowing other people's lawns, shoveling snow, a minimum wage job in high school

But, by that point, I was used to doing those chores that doing them wasn't about the $10 it was already just about helping out the family.

I have no idea how I'm going to manage it with my kids yet.

Old 04-10-2018, 12:49 PM

12 posts, read 1,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
My parents were haphazard about giving allowance. We'd set up a system, then it would fizzle out.
Just curious, but why did the allowance system fizzle out? Were there chores that the kids started forgetting to do or maybe the parents just started forgetting to pay?

On another note, I'm on board with Stan4's position. My son is 9 and we give him $5 for cleaning the bathroom. He's allowed to clean the bathroom once a week. We don't even refer to it as an allowance. Then there are other chores like cleaning up his room, bagging up his laundry, etc. that we simply expect him to do as training for how to take care of himself and his belongings for when that day comes that he's on his own.

Old 04-10-2018, 04:14 PM

13,030 posts, read 7,641,826 times
When my kids were teens, they received an allowance during the school year to cover lunch and ancillary expenses. In the summer, they had jobs.

Old 04-14-2018, 11:30 AM

274 posts, read 38,924 times
I worked at 15, part time in weekends at the mall. Before then i babysat, got money for birthdays, but my parents mostly bought me stuff. My 3 yr old already has money from birthdays and such.

Old 04-15-2018, 09:48 AM

11,554 posts, read 19,100,449 times
During the HS school year my kids didn't work. We preferred them to participate in school activities (sports, music) rather than work during the school year. Once they were old enough to get a job (around 15/16) they worked in the summers. Once they started driving we gave them a monthly allowance of $100. We provided necessities (lunch, clothes, shoes, school supplies). We also paid for their music lessons and costs of playing sports.

When they started college we paid for all school related expenses, their room/board, and insurances. They paid for their other expenses. We never told them how to spend their money whether they were in high school or college. Right now one is completely on his own. One is about to graduate from college and they youngest is a freshman in college.

Old 04-15-2018, 05:58 PM

9,478 posts, read 2,575,324 times
My oldest is 12 and just started babysitting. She can use that money for basically what ever she wants like going somewhere with friends, etc. I buy all her clothes, school lunches, gymnastic class and necessities. She has plans on getting a PT job at 16. When she does she can have 1/2 for spending and the other half goes into an account towards college, a car, insurance, etc. However, school comes first and if grades fall then the go will go.

I do give my kids a small allowance, but only if they actually do chores. Sometimes they don't, so then they don't get anything. I have taught them and will continue to teach them how important it is to save. I will teach them about budgeting, staying out of debt, living within your means, retirement, etc.

Old 04-16-2018, 12:23 AM

1,321 posts, read 480,913 times
My sons got paid for getting A's. It made them work harder.
They got paid for doing their chores. We started with charts and what they could accomplish then show them how to do the job then leave it up to them. This included emptying the dishwasher, cleaning their room, making their bed, etc.

They kept track of their jobs and knew how much they were paid for each job. Every two weeks was payday. Just like their parents. They knew how much they were getting paid and they were taken shopping. If they didn't have enough for what they wanted they saved.

By the time they were in high school they were mowing the lawn and doing bigger jobs which also earned more. They took pride in their work and did a good job. They were paid and became excellent at math. All of them. They learned to manage their money, price compare, and get the most for their money. Any money they received was theirs. They did have their own bank account. I never told them to spend their money a certain way. One loved legos and bought an expensive lego set on each birthday and Christmas with his gift money.

Again, I started all this with them when the youngest was in diapers. It's something the parents have to keep up with as much as the kids. There's a huge commitment in teaching them how to do the jobs right and getting after them to do them correctly. We never did allowance. They earn their money just as we do. All my kids have a fantastic work ethic.

Old 04-16-2018, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post

Kids should not be paid for chores. What would be their expectation when they have to take out their own garbage?
My husband and I talked about this but I'm glad I did raise my sons to value work, to have a good work ethic, to know the monetary reward for their labor. Boys become men and men have to enjoy their work, to provide for their family.

Taking out the trash was one of the jobs. The kids came up with which jobs they want to do and which ones they can manage. That changed as they got older. Obviously a 8 year old can't mow the yard like a 14 year old.

In return I don't feel it's right to just hand kids money for an allowance. What's the value in that? Here's some money, go play? Well, in our home they added up their earned money in 2 weeks of chores from their charts, we double checked the math, and then they got their paycheck. We went to the bank, I paid them their money, and they told me where they wanted to shop. So shopping day for them twice a month.

In my mind a paycheck is a lot different then a gift of money they didn't earn.

Old 04-16-2018, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlternativeDad View Post
Maybe a unpopular opinion here but i dont like teenagers working.I think that teenagers should focus only in school and extracurricular activities.I think that they should enjoy most the teen life to start to work only in Adult life.
If a part time job at McDonald's conflicted with school and school activities in any way, the job was dust. My oldest was able to juggle everything and did it well. He made his Eagle in Scouts, made the honor society in high school, active in Track and Cross Country with all those early morning runs and after school practices. .. And had early morning church study.

It depends on how important the job is to the teen. My youngest wasn't motivated enough to get a full time job until it was part of his resume to get into the Air Force.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or