Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 05:32 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Keep in mind that you REALLY need to know who hit first if you call the cops. Because if you are wrong-and kids lie, it may not be the result you expect.
That is an excellent point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2018, 05:47 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,224,848 times
I would involve the police by filing a report and making a complaint because you want it documented that this other girl committed assault.

If we want to have a civil society we need to have a culture that instructs that you don't have any right to assault people just because you don't like what they say.

So that would be doing your part to keep society on the right path because as you have seen, you cannot rely on the moral strength of others to do so.

Old 03-15-2018, 05:54 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,861,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Keep in mind that you REALLY need to know who hit first if you call the cops. Because if you are wrong-and kids lie, it may not be the result you expect.
Yeah, this was my thought as well. Although it may not even matter what really went down - what matter is what the cop believes. It seems to me that your daughter could just as easily end up on the wrong side of the law as the other girl, and it sounds like if given the opportunity to press charges, the other mother might just be heated up enough to do so.

While obviously I don't condone escalating a verbal fight into a physical fight, no one got substantially injured and it's not part of a pattern of abuse. I'd think hard before blowing it up into something bigger than it was.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:05 PM

757 posts, read 838,116 times
Involving the police will go nowhere. It was a school kid fight. No lasting damage. With that said, IT AIN'T MY KID but if it was, I'd really be upset especially with the disabled piece. But, the other kid in the saga also has CP so you have two mothers who have tough situations with their children no matter what. As difficult as it is, I'd go with a cooling off period and hopefully the two families will forget it and move on. The police won't care. Your kid and the other kid will get questioned and the cops will determine, most likely, that it is impossible to determine what actually happened and who did what when.

I would congratulate my kid for fighting back even if the outcome was not victory. She was tough and stood up for herself as did the other kid.

Kids. Now, in today's climate I would definitely monitor Facebook or any other social media to look for any evidence that this isn't going to go away and that escalation is occurring especially with weapons involved or even suicide. Watch it all. Good luck.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:52 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,521,031 times
Filing a police report will mean that both sides of the story will be investigated. Both girls and anyone on scene, such as your son. This is important because I'm guessing this fight didn't just happen all today. There's been a buildup to this and it's possible your daughter has been the instigator all along.

The news will also get out at school that not only did your daughter lose a fight, but now her mother has involved the police.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:54 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post

While obviously I don't condone escalating a verbal fight into a physical fight, no one got substantially injured and it's not part of a pattern of abuse. I'd think hard before blowing it up into something bigger than it was.
If it were child that was attacked, you might feel otherwise.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:54 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,521,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bygeorge View Post
I would congratulate my kid for fighting back even if the outcome was not victory.
So you would congratulate the girl for helping get the fight started with the namecalling, then also for actually getting in the fight?

Old 03-15-2018, 08:15 PM

757 posts, read 838,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
So you would congratulate the girl for helping get the fight started with the namecalling, then also for actually getting in the fight?
YES. She is a kid. She doesn't need condemning. She needs guidance and a feeling that her family is there for her. There is a lot of background info we do not have. As someone else said above, this has been cooking for some time.

Old 03-15-2018, 08:17 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,224,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bygeorge View Post
Involving the police will go nowhere. It was a school kid fight. No lasting damage. With that said, IT AIN'T MY KID but if it was, I'd really be upset especially with the disabled piece. But, the other kid in the saga also has CP so you have two mothers who have tough situations with their children no matter what. As difficult as it is, I'd go with a cooling off period and hopefully the two families will forget it and move on. The police won't care. Your kid and the other kid will get questioned and the cops will determine, most likely, that it is impossible to determine what actually happened and who did what when.

I would congratulate my kid for fighting back even if the outcome was not victory. She was tough and stood up for herself as did the other kid.

Kids. Now, in today's climate I would definitely monitor Facebook or any other social media to look for any evidence that this isn't going to go away and that escalation is occurring especially with weapons involved or even suicide. Watch it all. Good luck.
I don't you grepped the OP's post. Her daughter is disabled. The one who assaulted her, is not. Capiche? An able-bodied kid assaulted a disabled one, because she didn't like what she said.

The police should be involved so that this criminal action is on the record. I assure you children who act this way are headed for a lifetime of antisocial violent behavior. Best to get them into the criminal justice system or divert them from it ASAP (ie, lock them up or scare them straight, but for chrissakes, don't just let it slide)

Old 03-15-2018, 08:18 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times
I wouldn't involve the police. Sounds like your daughter was the one who started it by making nasty comments about a disabled person. Doesn't matter that she's disabled herself. She should know not to make those kind of comments even more! She knows how they hurt. I would take this as a lesson she needs to learn to keep her mouth shut and not hang out with people she doesn't like. Doesn't make since why they were together since they don't like each other....nothing good can come of that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting