Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 08:34 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,580,324 times

Advertisements

I think there's a good chance that this woman who the son has chosen, wants nothing to do with the family scene and has made that clear to him. The ancient advice "to forsake your family and cleave to your spouse", is what he's following. It should not be your agenda to interfere with what he wants to do with his life. If later, the two want to socialize with your branch of the family, they'll let you know. If you persist on sticking your nose in it, you'll ensure they will never want to get together.

I learned a hard lesson when I was young, to never bring a woman-friend anywhere near my family. That never worked out well at all and became the ending of some relationships. And my version of the ideal woman, is one who has no living relatives, west of the Mississippi River. And those eastward, being too poor to travel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2018, 08:58 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,826,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
I think there's a good chance that this woman who the son has chosen, wants nothing to do with the family scene and has made that clear to him. The ancient advice "to forsake your family and cleave to your spouse", is what he's following. It should not be your agenda to interfere with what he wants to do with his life. If later, the two want to socialize with your branch of the family, they'll let you know. If you persist on sticking your nose in it, you'll ensure they will never want to get together.

I learned a hard lesson when I was young, to never bring a woman-friend anywhere near my family. That never worked out well at all and became the ending of some relationships. And my version of the ideal woman, is one who has no living relatives, west of the Mississippi River. And those eastward, being too poor to travel.
Your "lesson" may work for you but the vastest majority of families, new and old, do not need to subscribe to an isolationist theory of interaction to succeed in marriage. Your "ancient advice" is...ancient.

Old 03-23-2018, 09:11 PM

113 posts, read 78,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post

Are you familiar with projection? If not, broaden your horizons and look it up. Your lifestyle has no application here. The rest is just too weird to bother responding to. Lol

Last edited by puglandia; 03-23-2018 at 09:11 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 03-23-2018, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyeaux View Post
So when is the wedding date?
In a few months.

Old 03-23-2018, 09:39 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,121,086 times
I just had another idea. I'm not sure if you would want to do it or not, (or maybe you would consider doing it closer to the wedding date especially if you do not get an invitation), but if you know the church where they are getting married your husband (the groom's father) could call the minister and ask if there is anything special that he should be doing as father of the groom (or how to make a donation to the church in honor of the marriage or some other reasonable question).

In this way the minister would know that the groom actually had a living father, who loves and cares about his son, in case the bride and her family told the minister that the groom's parents were both dead, his grandparents were all dead and all of his siblings were dead, too
to explain why they are not at the wedding rehearsal and wedding.

It's probably a stupid idea, but maybe there is something similar that might be better.

---------------------------------------------------

If you are Facebook friends, maybe you should start posting wedding related things such as "I went shopping for a dress for Dear Son's wedding with Aunt Sally. There are so many wonderful choices that I haven't decided which one to buy." And, post a picture of you and Aunt Sally in the dress department.

"I just realized that Dear Son's wedding will be just a month after our 15th wedding anniversary." And post a wedding picture from your wedding that includes DS.

And, things like that.

If you are friends with the bride and her family and see all of the things that they post, they will see the things that you post.

Last edited by germaine2626; 03-23-2018 at 09:48 PM..

Old 03-23-2018, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I just had another idea. I'm not sure if you would want to do it or not, (or maybe you would consider doing it closer to the wedding date especially if you do not get an invitation), but if you know the church where they are getting married your husband (the groom's father) could call the minister and ask if there is anything special that he should be doing as father of the groom (or how to make a donation to the church in honor of the marriage or some other reasonable question).

In this way the minister would know that the groom actually had a living father, who loves and cares about his son, in case the bride and her family told the minister that the groom's parents were both dead, his grandparents were all dead and all of his siblings were dead, too
to explain why they are not at the wedding rehearsal and wedding.

It's probably a stupid idea, but maybe there is something similar that might be better.

---------------------------------------------------

If you are Facebook friends, maybe you should start posting wedding related things such as "I went shopping for a dress for Dear Son's wedding with Aunt Sally. There are so many wonderful choices that I haven't decided which one to buy." And, post a picture of you and Aunt Sally in the dress department.

"I just realized that Dear Son's wedding will be just a month after our 15th wedding anniversary." And post a wedding picture from your wedding that includes DS.

And, things like that.

If you are friends with the bride and her family and see all of the things that they post, they will see the things that you post.
Good ideas but we don’t know where they are getting married. I once saw on FB who she may have hired as a wedding planner but the post and comments are long gone and I don’t remember who it was.

I iike the other ideas in theory yet I don’t typically feel comfortable posting like that. I’m pretty low key and introverted, don’t post a ton on social media. However, it is worthy of some consideration given the weird situation. I’m friends with her on social media but not friends with any of her family members.

Old 03-24-2018, 08:23 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,705,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puglandia View Post
Good ideas but we don’t know where they are getting married. I once saw on FB who she may have hired as a wedding planner but the post and comments are long gone and I don’t remember who it was.
Wow, so they are deleting their FB posts?

I would be camped out on his doorstep by now, but I understand your position as stepmom. The passivity of everyone else is just mind boggling though.

Old 03-24-2018, 08:42 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,705,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyeaux

So when is the wedding date?
Quote:
Originally Posted by puglandia View Post
In a few months.
I thought you said it was planned for the end of the year? Have they moved the date up in the last few days? That would alarm me.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:29 AM

6,813 posts, read 10,504,696 times
You should just be really up front and say, "Hey, we think it would be really odd not to meet our daughter-in-law to be until the day of the wedding, and we would really like to meet her and welcome her to the family ahead of time, so figure out when it will work and let's meet."

Old 03-24-2018, 09:31 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,878,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
You should just be really up front and say, "Hey, we think it would be really odd not to meet our daughter-in-law to be until the day of the wedding, and we would really like to meet her and welcome her to the family ahead of time, so figure out when it will work and let's meet."
I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting