U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 08:44 AM

756 posts, read 551,131 times

Advertisements

Crime is down, but it's not nil.

In the past, you'd have a litter of children, and it was expected/acceptable that a few of them would not make it to adulthood. Aren't Mormons expected to have tons of children?

Anyway, more power to them. It's not for me, thanks. I'd rather have fewer children and make sure they survive to adulthood by taking steps to minimize the risks they encounter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2018, 11:14 AM

20,985 posts, read 20,603,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Aren't Mormons expected to have tons of children?
No. Many do, but many Catholics do, too. Mormons are free to have as few or as many children as they personally want and can care for. There aren't exactly negative consequences for not meeting some kind of an arbitrary quota.

Old 03-27-2018, 11:17 AM

5,927 posts, read 2,121,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
No, for 99% of families that's not a stress or an issue that ever comes up in their lives.
Sounds like you got some axe to grind for sure.
I know several people who have been reported to CPS for their 10 year old playing at a nearby park in the daytime, or 12 year old walking home from school. Things like that. Since every report has to be investigated, no matter how trivial it might seem, then it is an issue for families. CPS will follow up on everything.

Old 03-28-2018, 11:43 AM

2,108 posts, read 701,470 times
It discredits helicopter parenting. I don't like that style of parenting, myself, because I was raised like that back when it was a peculiar way to raise kids, and I still don't appreciate it.

I don't particularly think it was all that "safe" when I was a child 50-sum years ago. There were still bad people out there, kid-nappers, etc. Just not nearly as many people and not nearly as many incidents. Today, I do think certain things are safer in numbers, like walking to school. Much depends on where one lives.

Old 04-01-2018, 07:10 AM

32,515 posts, read 12,107,919 times
There is nothing in Utah's law that prevents people from reporting "free range" children for neglect and lack of parental supervision.

The law is clear that each situation will be handled on a case by case basis. So the social workers will still be investigating and making judgement calls on whether each child is mature enough to handle things.

Nothing outlawing helicopter parenting either. From what I can tell, helicopter parenting occurs with a lot lower frequency than lackadaisical parental supervision.

But whatever.

Old 04-01-2018, 07:12 AM

If you want "free range" parenting, move to Alaska. You aren't even required to educate your children there. A decade ago, a law was passed that you didn't have to register your children in school. No proof of homeschooling, no testing, nada is required. .

Your kids. You can raise them the way you want without pesky interference from the government.

Of course, if they grow up unable to read, write, add, or subtract, then government assistance may be needed. But until then, the pesky government has got no business telling you what parenting approach you practice.

Old 04-01-2018, 08:25 AM
Status: "17 pit bull deaths this year; 8 since Memorial Day." (set 13 days ago)

1,144 posts, read 302,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RageX View Post
This is good news.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...ange-parenting

Granted, it's still a dangerous world but, one of the most frequent sources of stress in families lives is CPS being called by nosy, Moderator cut: deleted know-it-all, snitches, who likely don't have kids, and don't think that governmental involvement is very scary to families.

...breathe... the specifics are; charges of neglect can no longer be filed just because a child, specifically aged 9 or more, is walking back and forth from a school, park, or general store by themselves or with other kids, also aged 9 or older.

The reasons listed were: parents should fear legal retribution for reasonable parenting decisions, kids need to learn some level of independence, children are maturing later and later due to laws effectively negating parental authority and, that this law aims to stem that foul tide.

It's a step in the right direction at least.
Good! Now maybe children can play outside without the parents being jailed!

Old 04-01-2018, 09:52 AM

10,090 posts, read 6,377,896 times
I am still trying to understand how letting a 9 year old walk to school is considered "free-range" parenting. If so, 30 or 40 families that live near my daughter's elementary school are free-range parents.

Old 04-01-2018, 09:59 AM

371 posts, read 151,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I am still trying to understand how letting a 9 year old walk to school is considered "free-range" parenting. If so, 30 or 40 families that live near my daughter's elementary school are free-range parents.
I wondered that too. Never heard of "free-range parenting"
Much of this depends upon WHERE you live. The level of crime and danger.
We live in a subdivision with 50% vacation homes. Kids can walk down the street just fine
Hardly any cars, there is no danger here, generally.
Town has only 200 people. 95% are college educated so that helps
Every kid is a free-range kid in our area
And if anyone sees anything suspicious, they go outside to check on the kids
Anything wrong, we notify their parents.

In a city, might not be so.

Old 04-01-2018, 10:04 AM

Maybe Mormons are busy poking their nose into what other families are up to. Hard to tell.

All the kids around here are "free range." Just saw three boys go by on their bikes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or