U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 04:00 PM

670 posts, read 557,893 times

Advertisements

This is good news.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...ange-parenting

Granted, it's still a dangerous world but, one of the most frequent sources of stress in families lives is CPS being called by nosy, Moderator cut: deleted know-it-all, snitches, who likely don't have kids, and don't think that governmental involvement is very scary to families.

...breathe... the specifics are; charges of neglect can no longer be filed just because a child, specifically aged 9 or more, is walking back and forth from a school, park, or general store by themselves or with other kids, also aged 9 or older.

The reasons listed were: parents should fear legal retribution for reasonable parenting decisions, kids need to learn some level of independence, children are maturing later and later due to laws effectively negating parental authority and, that this law aims to stem that foul tide.

It's a step in the right direction at least.

Last edited by june 7th; 03-24-2018 at 05:46 PM.. Reason: Innappropriate language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2018, 04:38 PM

257 posts, read 180,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RageX View Post
Granted, it's still a dangerous world.
Statistics say otherwise. Crime is down in every category. Its been going down for more than 20 years.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:49 AM

19,688 posts, read 23,363,727 times
I don't think letting the kids walk back and forth to school qualifies as free range parenting

Old 03-24-2018, 12:32 PM

82,789 posts, read 95,236,514 times
Quote:
This is good news.

Granted, it's still a dangerous world but, one of the most frequent sources of stress in families lives is CPS being called by nosy, Moderator cut: Orphaned, know-it-all, snitches, who likely don't have kids, and don't think that governmental involvement is very scary to families.

...breathe... the specifics are; charges of neglect can no longer be filed just because a child, specifically aged 9 or more, is walking back and forth from a school, park, or general store by themselves or with other kids, also aged 9 or older.

The reasons listed were: parents should fear legal retribution for reasonable parenting decisions, kids need to learn some level of independence, children are maturing later and later due to laws effectively negating parental authority and, that this law aims to stem that foul tide.

Incorrect! Here's a quote from the article: "The law states the child must be mature enough to handle those things but leaves the age purposely open-ended so police and prosecutors can work on a case-by-case basis, Fillmore has said."

This could get into a real hornet's nest.

Last edited by june 7th; 03-24-2018 at 05:47 PM..

Old 03-24-2018, 04:05 PM

3,826 posts, read 1,285,810 times
Quote:
This is good news.

Granted, it's still a dangerous world but, one of the most frequent sources of stress in families lives is CPS being called by nosy, Moderator cut: Orphaned, know-it-all, snitches, who likely don't have kids, and don't think that governmental involvement is very scary to families.

I agree.

Last edited by june 7th; 03-24-2018 at 05:47 PM..

Old 03-24-2018, 05:24 PM

4,051 posts, read 1,532,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Incorrect! Here's a quote from the article: "The law states the child must be mature enough to handle those things but leaves the age purposely open-ended so police and prosecutors can work on a case-by-case basis, Fillmore has said."

This could get into a real hornet's nest.
I agree. It's a hornet's nest.

Things should be illegal or legal, and it should never be a case of well, go ahead and do it and we'll decide later whether to charge you with a crime.

It shouldn't be "open ended so police and prosecutors can work on a case by case basis".

In order to be charged with a crime, the behavior has to be listed as a crime somewhere on the lawbooks.
???

Old 03-26-2018, 06:41 AM

2,162 posts, read 1,500,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I don't think letting the kids walk back and forth to school qualifies as free range parenting
If so I guess I live in a neighborhood of almost strictly free range parenting. Our kids walk/scoot to school by themselves every day. We don't even have school buses.

My kids (7 next month and 8.5) are allowed to ride their scooters, rollerblades, bikes or walk around the neighborhood. They know the rules; no crossing any street that requires a stop light, stay together, no going into anyone's house without coming home to ask, and always stop to look for cars. I hardly consider this free range parenting. Just letting kids be kids.

Old 03-26-2018, 10:54 AM

7,585 posts, read 4,403,311 times
I'm not sure why a law had to be generated. There are certainly too many laws on the books already.

When I was a kid, it was assumed that all kids were "free range" if they were about 4 or older.

And authorities left them be unless they got into trouble - in which case they were taken home.

Old 03-26-2018, 11:46 AM

2,162 posts, read 1,500,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I'm not sure why a law had to be generated. There are certainly too many laws on the books already.

When I was a kid, it was assumed that all kids were "free range" if they were about 4 or older.

And authorities left them be unless they got into trouble - in which case they were taken home.
Because people went crazy and started passing laws about how old a child has to be to be left home alone. Perhaps just repealing those laws would be sufficient.

Old 03-26-2018, 02:05 PM
bg7

7,668 posts, read 7,143,843 times
Quote:
This is good news.

Granted, it's still a dangerous world but, one of the most frequent sources of stress in families lives is CPS being called by nosy, Moderator cut: deleted know-it-all, snitches, who likely don't have kids, and don't think that governmental involvement is very scary to families.

No, for 99% of families that's not a stress or an issue that ever comes up in their lives.
Sounds like you got some axe to grind for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or