U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 04:25 PM

1,945 posts, read 2,116,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by codergirl View Post
Just stay in touch with the older one during the day as much as you can without it messing with your job.You can face time her on your break or call her when you can(no text messaging because you never know who is responding back).As long as you're able to stay in touch a few times during the day..you'll be fine.It will be fine.

I agree.

I was a latchkey kid myself...

My daughter has been staying home by herself for a few hours since age 11. When she was in 5th grade she would get out of school and go to the kids section of the library by our house and do homework or read until 5PM when my husband got out of work.

See if you have a "Safesitter" class in your area. My daughter took one and she liked it-it's a pretty long one day class. They even teach CPR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2018, 08:47 AM

10,638 posts, read 3,314,105 times
Thanks to all who have given advice! I very much appreciate it!

I was going to give this week a trial run as they are on Spring break, BUT my 12 yr old got STREP! Ugh, so I've been home anyway

I have decided to propose this to my boss...... I work 4 days 9-12. Three of those days I then also work from home 1-4. And off completely one day. That works out to 21hrs. I think my boss will go for that. He's pretty nice and that way my girls won't be alone that long.

Old 03-28-2018, 10:04 AM

5,077 posts, read 3,772,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post

I was going to give this week a trial run as they are on Spring break, BUT my 12 yr old got STREP! Ugh, so I've been home anyway

I have decided to propose this to my boss...... I work 4 days 9-12. Three of those days I then also work from home 1-4. And off completely one day. That works out to 21hrs. I think my boss will go for that. He's pretty nice and that way my girls won't be alone that long.
So worth it, trying to find a compromise with your boss! Best of luck. If this arrangement isnít good for the boss, please keep trying to work a deal with him. Perhaps some of the split time could be one afternoon if he really wants a body there for afternoon hours.... You are only talking about 10-12 weeks for the arrangement, but a whole lot of comfort for your family.

Please let us know what happens.........

Old 03-28-2018, 10:23 AM

6,901 posts, read 4,223,982 times
We have no problem leaving our older two, 13 and 11, home alone for 3-4 hours or so. Both are very responsible and get along great. They spend a lot of time reading, drawing, writing, playing games, listening/singing to Hamilton, and watching anime. The girls know not to answer to the for anyone while they're home and they have important numbers and safety guidelines.

Now, if that 10 or 11 year old were my son (8), nope. It's unlikely he'd be ready, mature and responsible enough, to stay home alone, though he'd probably be fine with his older sisters home with him.

Old 04-03-2018, 01:42 PM

1,556 posts, read 1,462,107 times
I wonder if the OP could pay someone to come by for an hour and help them prepare lunch? That means the kids are only alone for a couple stretches by themselves, but you're only paying them for an hour (prepare to pay more to make it worth their while for just an hour visit).

I like the idea of another poster with the door bell intercom, and outside cameras......additionally, Facetime is a great way to touch-base with them.

Old 04-03-2018, 07:09 PM

84,965 posts, read 98,814,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post

I was actually going to ask if there was some part of your job you could do at home. I did something similar to the above when my kids were about the ages of yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
We have no problem leaving our older two, 13 and 11, home alone for 3-4 hours or so. Both are very responsible and get along great. They spend a lot of time reading, drawing, writing, playing games, listening/singing to Hamilton, and watching anime. The girls know not to answer to the for anyone while they're home and they have important numbers and safety guidelines.

Now, if that 10 or 11 year old were my son (8), nope. It's unlikely he'd be ready, mature and responsible enough, to stay home alone, though he'd probably be fine with his older sisters home with him.
The OP was asking about leaving them about six hours, and the kids are just twelve, and 10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
I wonder if the OP could pay someone to come by for an hour and help them prepare lunch? That means the kids are only alone for a couple stretches by themselves, but you're only paying them for an hour (prepare to pay more to make it worth their while for just an hour visit).

I like the idea of another poster with the door bell intercom, and outside cameras......additionally, Facetime is a great way to touch-base with them.
I doubt you'd find anyone to do that. I know how hard it is for schools to find people to come in for an hour or so to do recess/lunch duty, etc.

If you have to install all sorts of electronics to feel safe about leaving them home alone, perhaps it's too soon to do so. The same goes for having neighbors "on call", which has also been suggested.

Old 04-13-2018, 09:05 PM

324 posts, read 93,172 times
Depends on their maturity level but I'd say 12?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or