Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 09:04 AM

371 posts, read 286,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
If she wants to work and has been volunteering for a year at the library, support her in working with the State Vocational Rehabilitation services to get a job with a paycheck.

Voc Rehab would be a great place for her to start. They have counselors, job coaches, financial incentives for employers, ... Some states give priority to those on SSI and SSDI, so she may have to be waitlisted for a time.

She may not be able to get a full-time with benefits job, but I bet they'll be able to help her obtain and maintain a job where she will have the dignity and independence she is yearning for.

The Voc Rehab assessment and experience will be useful when either she realizes she needs the monthly benefits check and the health insurance that goes along with SSI or when you obtain guardianship and apply for her.

Good for you for raising a daughter who wants to be an independent, contributing member of the world.
This^^ Our close friend is the head of the State Department of Rehab. Wonderful programs. Good luck OP. If you can stay positive, that is best. Happy Easter to you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 01:16 PM

10,105 posts, read 19,324,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
I agree with the birth control thing... i know once a person is on disability and if that person happen to earn more than they should in a month. then that disability check can be cut or revoked and then can be difficult getting it back when it is needed again.

I know if you can claim guardianship for her, then she can get ssi. At least that was what happened to my sister when she had severe mental issues
Be careful about claiming guardianship for a disabled adult. Then you are responsible for her behavior, just like when she was a minor child. If she gets into mischief, commits crimes, destroys property, etc, the guardian can be held responsible. As an adult, you really have no control over her actions, but you would be held responsible. Its a slippery slope, and you can't easily revoke the guardianship if it becomes too difficult to manage.

Old 04-04-2018, 10:01 AM

2 posts, read 1,831 times
OP here. Someone suggested I become her guardian so I went to an attorney to help me with the process. The attorney said my chance of becoming her guardian is zero because guardianship is only for those who are severely mentally disabled. Anyways, my social worker said we can file on behalf of her online, and if they need any information such as her medical or school records we can sign for her online. Her last medical exam was 2 years ago and anyway I am afraid that SSI will request a more recent medical exam or send her to one of their doctors and she won't cooperate. I am also afraid she might have a secret bank account where her boyfriend writes her checks and she has over $2000, or that she won't share her bank information with SSI. I don't see why she is against this. In college I had to work a job to support myself. It would have been nice to have something like this so I can focus on my studies and not stand on 2 feet all day. My cousin applied for SSD after he lost his job. He then found another job where he gets paid in cash so SSA will not lower his benefits. He still works and has a guaranteed income if anything happens. With SSI she will have a guaranteed income. She will have money that's hers, not her boyfriends, not her parents.

Old 04-04-2018, 04:23 PM

655 posts, read 1,122,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedia View Post
OP here. Someone suggested I become her guardian so I went to an attorney to help me with the process. The attorney said my chance of becoming her guardian is zero because guardianship is only for those who are severely mentally disabled. Anyways, my social worker said we can file on behalf of her online, and if they need any information such as her medical or school records we can sign for her online. Her last medical exam was 2 years ago and anyway I am afraid that SSI will request a more recent medical exam or send her to one of their doctors and she won't cooperate. I am also afraid she might have a secret bank account where her boyfriend writes her checks and she has over $2000, or that she won't share her bank information with SSI. I don't see why she is against this. In college I had to work a job to support myself. It would have been nice to have something like this so I can focus on my studies and not stand on 2 feet all day. My cousin applied for SSD after he lost his job. He then found another job where he gets paid in cash so SSA will not lower his benefits. He still works and has a guaranteed income if anything happens. With SSI she will have a guaranteed income. She will have money that's hers, not her boyfriends, not her parents.

So your cousin is able to work and he makes sure that it is cash so he can keep getting SSI? You know that is fraud right?

SSI is set up for those that cannot work or earn a living due to being disabled. It is not there for "extra income".

If your daughter is capable of working, is able to make decisions for herself, and has no problem living on her own without SSI, then why on earth would you push her to apply for it? Is she having trouble supporting herself?

Old 04-04-2018, 07:29 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,629,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedia View Post
If this is true, your social worker is encouraging you to commit fraud. And your cousin is already committing fraud.

Old 04-04-2018, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whakru View Post
So your cousin is able to work and he makes sure that it is cash so he can keep getting SSI? You know that is fraud right?

SSI is set up for those that cannot work or earn a living due to being disabled. It is not there for "extra income".

If your daughter is capable of working, is able to make decisions for herself, and has no problem living on her own without SSI, then why on earth would you push her to apply for it? Is she having trouble supporting herself?
It sounds as if her daughter is very sick and not able to work.

Let's stop accusing people of fraud. SSI doesn't pay enough and people have the right to at least the bare minimum essentials such as food and shelter. Period. No one has the right to guilt another person over that unless they are a total psycho themselves. She came here for help, not accusations. That part is to everyone here, not just you.

Again people have the right to food and shelter. That's called being human.

Old 04-04-2018, 10:45 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,682,338 times
Tell her get a job and leave the SSI for the ones that really need it

Old 04-05-2018, 08:46 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,629,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItIsWritten. View Post
It sounds as if her daughter is very sick and not able to work.

Let's stop accusing people of fraud. SSI doesn't pay enough and people have the right to at least the bare minimum essentials such as food and shelter. Period. No one has the right to guilt another person over that unless they are a total psycho themselves. She came here for help, not accusations. That part is to everyone here, not just you.

Again people have the right to food and shelter. That's called being human.
It is fraudulent to apply for SSI in another adult's name. And it is fraudulent to not report income if you're already receiving SSI. If I'm not mistaken, the SSI regulations allow a recipient to earn a certain amount of money and still receive benefits--something like $700/month.

I agree that people have the right to food and shelter and if a person qualifies for SSI he or she should collect it. But the OP's adult daughter doesn't want to apply for SSI and the OP doesn't have legal authority to apply on her behalf. And when you collect SSI, you agree to report any earned income.

Old 04-05-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
It is fraudulent to apply for SSI in another adult's name. And it is fraudulent to not report income if you're already receiving SSI. If I'm not mistaken, the SSI regulations allow a recipient to earn a certain amount of money and still receive benefits--something like $700/month.

I agree that people have the right to food and shelter and if a person qualifies for SSI he or she should collect it. But the OP's adult daughter doesn't want to apply for SSI and the OP doesn't have legal authority to apply on her behalf. And when you collect SSI, you agree to report any earned income.
I've already responded to all of those specifics in the thread. I hope it works out for the best

Old 04-05-2018, 08:58 AM

655 posts, read 1,122,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post

Yep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting