Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 04:55 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times

Advertisements

When did a college celebration, turn into a police dispatch?

I am so tired of kids being raised to believe, it's ok when their home team wins a sport, to celebrate by stomping on cars, turning them over, climbing light posts, smashing windows, destroying the property of others....and starting fires?

I just cannot for the life of me, understand, why and how they got the idea that this behavior is ok? And I don't care what city they are from, it's unacceptable behavior.

Celebrations are a reason or cause to destroy the property of others, including tax payer's belongings....

I believe this is part of the reason why kids are so unruly, and think it's ok to run from an officer and not respect a police officer's request....then when people get shot, right away it's the officer's fault...NO, it is not!!!!

Crime is crime, and if an officer yells, stop....they mean it....

Kids just don't seem to be able to grasp the concept of respect...and I'm sorry, but that comes from parenting....

and before anyone gets all upset and defensive about this post, I opened this for a discussion, b/c it's what I saw on the news this morning, upon reports of college basketball winning...so, don't go getting all upset thinking I know any of you personally and start getting all defensive in this thread....

This is some thing that needs to seriously be addressed, and discussed, b/c kids are losing the value of respect for themselves, respect for the property of others, and most of all, respect for laws.....they do not seem to be able to grasp the concept of wrong doings.

Why do you think that is, and what can we all do together to change it?

Old 04-03-2018, 05:45 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times
I'm just putting this out there because I'm tired of "adults" complaining about "kids today." I know that's gone on forever, but my personal opinion is that it's backwards looking instead of forward looking.

For what it's worth, I was a college student when my college basketball team won the same basketball championship 2 different times. The same kind of thing went on in the 1980's. I was there. It has nothing to do with parenting.

Old 04-03-2018, 06:01 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
You lost me at "what is wrong with kids today?".

Old 04-03-2018, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
I'm just putting this out there because I'm tired of "adults" complaining about "kids today." I know that's gone on forever, but my personal opinion is that it's backwards looking instead of forward looking.

For what it's worth, I was a college student when my college basketball team won the same basketball championship 2 different times. The same kind of thing went on in the 1980's. I was there. It has nothing to do with parenting.
Why do kids use this for a reason to destroy the property of others....who pays for dispatching the police? Who by the way showed up in droves, b/c the kids were getting out of hand.

I'm sorry, but it's just plain wrong....breaking windows, stomping up and down on cars....how would you like it if it were your car? My point is, celebrating is fine, but, when you destroy the property of others...it's down right disrespectful and takes away from the idea of it all....don't you think? I mean, it shows a lack of respect for everyone, even the players....

Old 04-03-2018, 06:32 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
The kids I know are more polite and better behaved than my friends and I were as teenagers. Back then, we liked to drink, smoke and have sex. If we had cars, we liked to drive them too fast. We found ways to sneak out and stay out all night. Compared to that, today's kids are a tame bunch. They didn't grow up bored like we did, looking for ways to amuse ourselves. At the same time, that's kept them somewhat more socially awkward and naive. I think kids are under more pressure now than we used to be, with the rising cost of college tuition, income inequality and the economic issues that have made it harder to get good jobs. So you take kids who aren't used to dealing with the real world as much as we did and put a lot more pressure on them, and eventually something's going to have to give, and they'll behave badly in a crowd of their peers if other kids are behaving badly.

I don't believe this is the same issue as kids getting shot by cops. That's something separate that most often involves race, and it's pretty well known that African American parents have to teach their sons how to behave around cops so they don't get shot. So the parents are putting in the effort, and maybe the kids are even doing exactly what they're supposed to, and they're still getting killed. We need to fix that. Blaming the dead kids and blaming their parents won't help, that just allows us to deny that it's an issue for the rest of us. "Oh, he must have run away, must be bad parenting, etc," lets us isolate ourselves from the problem.

Old 04-03-2018, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Hedgehog_Mom The kids I know are more polite and better behaved than my friends and I were as teenagers. Back then, we liked to drink, smoke and have sex. If we had cars, we liked to drive them too fast. We found ways to sneak out and stay out all night. Compared to that, today's kids are a tame bunch. They didn't grow up bored like we did, looking for ways to amuse ourselves. At the same time, that's kept them somewhat more socially awkward and naive. I think kids are under more pressure now than we used to be, with the rising cost of college tuition, income inequality and the economic issues that have made it harder to get good jobs. So you take kids who aren't used to dealing with the real world as much as we did and put a lot more pressure on them, and eventually something's going to have to give, and they'll behave badly in a crowd of their peers if other kids are behaving badly.
I don't believe we were bored? But we did drive faster than we should, however, we didn't drink but we tried smoking....however, we knew better than to go out and destroy the property of others...
When you say, today's kids are a tame bunch, I don't think they are....not from what I've seen, but yes, they are socially naive due to technology...not to mention, immature, I don't believe they've evolved as much as we did...but we worked when we were young...and again, it probably all depended on the culture of the town or city you were raised in?

Quote:
I don't believe this is the same issue as kids getting shot by cops. That's something separate that most often involves race, and it's pretty well known that African American parents have to teach their sons how to behave around cops so they don't get shot. So the parents are putting in the effort, and maybe the kids are even doing exactly what they're supposed to, and they're still getting killed. We need to fix that. Blaming the dead kids and blaming their parents won't help, that just allows us to deny that it's an issue for the rest of us. "Oh, he must have run away, must be bad parenting, etc," lets us isolate ourselves from the problem.
your right, it isn't the same issue, but totally stems from the same problems, lack of respect for others...lack of respect for the property of others, lack of respect for rules and regulations....

but yes, something has to change...and your so right on with the issue as far as when they get killed, now it's to late for the blame game, lets figure out why it happened and fix it...

I think it is mostly a parenting problem....b/c not all kids engage in this type of behavior, they know better and shy away from it...due to the way they were bought up.

But I also know, that when a family has several kids, they can all be good kids except one, that is a problem, yet, they were all bought up by the same family, so the parenting was good, the kid just simply turned bad....?

Old 04-03-2018, 07:08 AM

6,300 posts, read 4,196,397 times
I guess you’ve forgotten there were teen troublemakers in the 50’s and 60 ‘s ,with gangs of teddy boys and girls causing destruction and terrorizing some communities, and sports hooligans is not new sadly. https://www.theguardian.com/football...nowledge.sport
And violence is not new or uncommon in the USA
The New Hooligans: Confronting Violence in the NFL - Politicus Sports

Perhaps the nfl and other orgs should help cover the cost of damages and police time instead of being so passive about it

Old 04-03-2018, 07:11 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
It isn't parenting that is the issue it is *lack* of parenting.

Old 04-03-2018, 07:17 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,864,509 times
I read old newspapers from my area as a hobby... back in the early 1960s a large group of teenagers broke into a local Country Club "for a party" after hours and did an insane amount of damage.

Point is, this is nothing new.

It is terrible, but this isn't just a "kids today" issue.

Old 04-03-2018, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
I read old newspapers from my area as a hobby... back in the early 1960s a large group of teenagers broke into a local Country Club "for a party" after hours and did an insane amount of damage.

Point is, this is nothing new.

It is terrible, but this isn't just a "kids today" issue.
yes, I'll admit, there "were isolated cases" back then, but nothing like it is today....I know we never ever thought about destroying property...especially the year our football team won the championship....it just didn't happen....

Yes, some kids drank, and there were isolated cases of hooligans getting into some sort of mild trouble, but nothing like today...even in colleges back then kids had good clean fun for the most part...yes, there was drunken-ness and tons of frat parties, but when we saw trouble rising, we'd leave....didn't want to be a part of any trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting