U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 07:41 AM

8,359 posts, read 4,357,343 times

Advertisements

Itís payback for every embarrassing public tantrum and every humiliatingly phone call from a teacher. Oh, and that time your toddler self lifted up her skirt in public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2018, 08:34 AM

2,654 posts, read 1,963,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whydomoms View Post
Okay, I get that not all mothers do this, but it seems to be a mom thing. Recently my mother has been posting embarrassing baby pictures of me online as well as me wearing embarrassing clothes. I actually ended up blocking her and I did try talking to her but she just laughed it off.

I really don't get it. But it seems like a mom thing and it's really embarrassing.
Your mom loves you or she wouldn't have bothered taking those photos, buying you those embarrassing baby clothes and posting those photos now you're grown.

You blocked her? Now that's embarrassing for you.

Old 03-30-2018, 01:51 PM

13,030 posts, read 7,631,341 times
Just having parents is often embarrassing to teenagers.

Old 03-30-2018, 02:20 PM

14,901 posts, read 10,628,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whydomoms View Post
Okay, I get that not all mothers do this, but it seems to be a mom thing. Recently my mother has been posting embarrassing baby pictures of me online as well as me wearing embarrassing clothes. I actually ended up blocking her and I did try talking to her but she just laughed it off.

I really don't get it. But it seems like a mom thing and it's really embarrassing.
Get over yourself. I wore stupid clothes as a kid, too. Who cares? I laugh about it.

Blocking her? Now that is embarrassing!

Old 03-30-2018, 03:00 PM

9,785 posts, read 5,840,558 times
Wow people...if the mom is purposefully embarrassing the kid...no matter what it is, they should stop. Esp when asked. They have access to personal and private info about the kid. Even if its baby pics (I had a sibling that was embarrassed by them, I wasn't) its not cool.

When you are a parent to a teen, suddenly even breathing embarrasses them. It can be a little funny to play into it a little. I mean, come on, it can really be silly. But I think parents should respect their kid enough not to do that...and at least stop when asked.

This is coming from a grown woman whose mom tried to humiliate her any chance she got. It isn't ok.

Old 03-30-2018, 08:00 PM

1,713 posts, read 1,005,072 times
I think there's quite a difference between trying to humiliate your grown child and posting a baby picture or a childhood picture in a funny outfit. Mockery isn't good ever, in my opinion, but a baby picture isn't going to affect an adult's life in any way.

Old 03-31-2018, 03:00 AM

781 posts, read 151,720 times
My mother posted baby pictures of me on her faceboook. My fiance's mother did the same of her.

they're not trying to embarrass you, they're trying to seek validation as mothers

Quote:
The researchers found that those women who believed society had greater expectations of them as mothers – and who identified strongly with their motherhood role – were highly sensitive to feedback on their social media posts.

"These mothers paid close attention to the comments they got when they posted pictures of their baby," said one of the team, Jill Yavorsky. "They felt validated when they got a lot of likes and comments, but they were also more likely to feel bad and disappointed when the reaction wasn't what they had hoped."

Another of the study's findings showed how incredibly pervasive the use of Facebook is when it comes to mothers sharing news and images of their babies. A stunning 98 percent of mothers in the study uploaded photos of their infant to the site, and 80 percent of these mums had replaced their personal profile photo with a picture of their baby.
https://www.sciencealert.com/here-s-...os-on-facebook

Old 03-31-2018, 05:39 AM

5,028 posts, read 2,540,255 times
From a dad's perspective, yes moms seem to love embarrassing their kids by public ally sharing "cute" photos. They aren't "cute" to the kids, and are even more embarrassing to adult children. Moms have been doing this for decades before Facebook (anyone remember mom dragging out the old photo album whenever friends and relatives come over?). And the more the kid was embarrassed by it the more mom would push. Can't believe the number of folks here denying it. Heck there's even a current commercial for some women's product that plays off mom embarrassing her adult daughter.

Old 03-31-2018, 05:56 AM

3,344 posts, read 2,684,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Just having parents is often embarrassing to teenagers.
Exactly. It's normal for teenagers to be embarrassed by their parents. And it's normal for parents of teens not to really care about that too much... my son is embarrassed when I speak to him while he's in the presence of his friends. Oh well, too bad, so sad for him.

While I wouldn't tag my kids in naked baby pictures or whatever, I really don't care if they're embarrassed by me posting a pic of them at age three riding on a horse or eating an ice cream cone. Neither of them has said that they are offended by this sort of thing, but if they were, it would be unreasonable enough for me to write it off as an irrational teenagerism. I mean, if I catered to every dumb thing my teens are offended and embarrassed over, we'd never interact at all.

Old 03-31-2018, 08:01 AM

1,713 posts, read 1,005,072 times
Barring a naked one, which I do not believe should be shared in public anywhere (and probably not even taken to begin with), I really do not understand what is embarrassing about a baby picture. Everyone was a baby once. They all look pretty much the same and do silly baby things. How is that embarrassing?

Sharing a picture of you drunk at your sister's wedding doing the chicken dance is embarrassing. Not a baby picture. I don't get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or