U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 08:32 AM

9,785 posts, read 5,840,558 times

Advertisements

Some people are really embarrassed by baby/kid pictures. Esp in the teens and early 20s. I wasn't (I was a darn cute kid!). But my sister was. I know lots of people who have been. I have been on the other side where my friend's mom was showing me photos of their teen as a baby while their kid died of embarrassment.

Bottom line: if your child is distressed by baby photos and lets you know, and you continue to share (esp gleefully), you are being a jerk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2018, 08:51 AM

544 posts, read 128,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post

Bottom line: if your child is distressed by baby photos and lets you know, and you continue to share (esp gleefully), you are being a jerk.
Yes, because god forbid a child learn to deal with embarrassment and teasing in an appropriate way! It’s not like they will ever have to deal with that the rest of their lives. Let’s coddle them and keep them wrapped in cotton batting so the precious little snowflakes will never have to endure anything negative, uncomfortable, or that they don’t like in their lives. No need to develop that muscle and skill. They’ll have their “safe space” at college, can live at home until their 40, and threaten lawsuits to any employer that makes them “uncomfortable” in any way! Cater to their every sensitivity because ya know, that’s how strong, mentally healthy adults are made.

I guess my mother should have gotten a better paying job so we could have a new car. I was SO distressed and embarrassed having to ride around in an old, beat up, red (!) wood paneled station wagon. Absolutely mortified to the point of tears when we had to “go to town” on a weekend night as a family in that car. I would get down in the floorboards so no one could see me. And a couple of times my mom would see someone I knew (at sonic) and would announce that I was in the backseat and come say hello! I guess my mom should have bought a better house too because I was always so embarrassed being poor and living in a trailer house. I was embarrassed by the way my family talked. Such abuse, I’m permanently scarred! Just kidding, these things taught me how to laugh at myself and handle embarrassing situations (and there have been some doozies over my life, usually of my own making) with grace and not fall to pieces in these situations. I am embarrassed by your response!

Old 03-31-2018, 10:04 AM

10,161 posts, read 12,208,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
Who are any of us to tell the OP how he/ she feels?
You come here to ask for advice, you're going to get it. Is there a enw rule I missed where if we don't agree, wo shouldn't post?

Old 03-31-2018, 01:59 PM

9,785 posts, read 5,840,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoR View Post
Yes, because god forbid a child learn to deal with embarrassment and teasing in an appropriate way! It’s not like they will ever have to deal with that the rest of their lives. Let’s coddle them and keep them wrapped in cotton batting so the precious little snowflakes will never have to endure anything negative, uncomfortable, or that they don’t like in their lives. No need to develop that muscle and skill. They’ll have their “safe space” at college, can live at home until their 40, and threaten lawsuits to any employer that makes them “uncomfortable” in any way! Cater to their every sensitivity because ya know, that’s how strong, mentally healthy adults are made.

I guess my mother should have gotten a better paying job so we could have a new car. I was SO distressed and embarrassed having to ride around in an old, beat up, red (!) wood paneled station wagon. Absolutely mortified to the point of tears when we had to “go to town” on a weekend night as a family in that car. I would get down in the floorboards so no one could see me. And a couple of times my mom would see someone I knew (at sonic) and would announce that I was in the backseat and come say hello! I guess my mom should have bought a better house too because I was always so embarrassed being poor and living in a trailer house. I was embarrassed by the way my family talked. Such abuse, I’m permanently scarred! Just kidding, these things taught me how to laugh at myself and handle embarrassing situations (and there have been some doozies over my life, usually of my own making) with grace and not fall to pieces in these situations. I am embarrassed by your response!
So your answer to being a jerk to your kid is "its going to happen otherwise, I might as well have my fun while I can".

Good for you. Parent of the year contender right here.

Old 03-31-2018, 05:53 PM

3,261 posts, read 1,369,205 times
I have this funny picture of my 3 youngest & the dog in the back of my old Nissan; all 4 of them were asleep, flopped around, noses in the air & mouths open ...

I took it when we were a few hours into a road trip in 2014, somewhere in south-east New Mexico.

Obviously, nobody wanted me to post it. So I didn't.

On the other hand: My now 22-year-old son took a picture of me a few years ago, about 1 hour after I had left my dentists office. It had been a painful procedure; the right side of my jaw was swollen, my face was puffy, my eyes glazed & I think I may have still been drooling.

I tried to tackle him to make him erase it ... he was just laughing at me & saying "Okay, okay Mom! I erased it!"

So the next week I'm on the computer that he had just been on & there I am: On the front page of his FB. With a caption that reads "My beautiful mom".

OMG. Yes; he's still alive.

Old 03-31-2018, 11:51 PM

2,133 posts, read 737,248 times
If I gave a damn at all I would be more concerned for all of you social media addicts who assume that others actually WANT to look at pix or receive generally banal information about your family. Sure, they might feign interest and give you a 'like' (SUCH effort!) because that's the thing to do but, in reality, they likely give as much a damn as I do.

I'm going through a real cynical phase at the moment and see the world becoming more and more plastic. In fact, I wonder at times if I'm actually living in a real world or rather some computer-generated scenario that simulates a realistic experience that is becoming more and more disturbing.

Old 04-01-2018, 02:44 PM

3,344 posts, read 2,684,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
So your answer to being a jerk to your kid is "its going to happen otherwise, I might as well have my fun while I can".

Good for you. Parent of the year contender right here.
I really don't think that posting a pic of a 2-year-old sitting on the Easter Bunny's lap is being a jerk, even if the now-15-year-old thinks it's embarrassing. Mom texting it to all of the kid's friends or distributing it in school would be jerkish. Posting it on her own wall? Uh, no. I could see a teen asking mom not to tag them in baby pictures. Fine. I don't do that anyway; I figure my teenagers' friends don't care to see them wearing their Mickey and Minnie ears as small children. But for one of my kids to tell me that I can't post a pic from 10-15 years ago on my own wall because it's super duper embarrassing for them to have my friends see them as small children? I think not.

I do think it's important for kids to know how to cope with everything in life not always going exactly as they want it, and if their biggest concern is that someone saw a photo of them licking cake off of their fingers on their first birthday, they've had a pretty easy life.

Old 04-01-2018, 05:55 PM

4,051 posts, read 1,532,116 times
Am I the only one on City Data who reads a post where it's a clearly irritating story, and controversial, and then looks at how many posts the OP has, and when I find that's the first post, clicks into the profile and notices they haven't been here since the minute they wrote that post?

Old 04-02-2018, 09:31 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,953,175 times
Seeing that everything seems to be posted online these days, I do think we are in a time when everyone should ask if it's ok to post pictures of another person online before doing so. We really shouldn't be posting pictures of kiddos in the first place. Just my .02

Old 04-04-2018, 05:21 PM

21,122 posts, read 20,096,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
From a dad's perspective, yes moms seem to love embarrassing their kids by public ally sharing "cute" photos. They aren't "cute" to the kids, and are even more embarrassing to adult children. Moms have been doing this for decades before Facebook (anyone remember mom dragging out the old photo album whenever friends and relatives come over?). And the more the kid was embarrassed by it the more mom would push. Can't believe the number of folks here denying it. Heck there's even a current commercial for some women's product that plays off mom embarrassing her adult daughter.
My mom liked those clothes and the pixie haircut. She would say, "You looked so cute!" Any embarrassment was my problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or