U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 10:26 AM

3,017 posts, read 2,560,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I would be interested in knowing this, too.

It's encouraging that he's told his parents what is going on in the first place. (I guess he told, unless she found out some other way ... )
As of right now, I am in a holding pattern. He says so far today school has been quiet.

And yes my son told me all this. He talks to me a lot. I saw all the texts and the videos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 10:48 AM

228 posts, read 108,483 times
Fingers crossed she'll be over in within a week and move on to another guy.

Old 04-03-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoxTerra View Post
Fingers crossed she'll be over in within a week and move on to another guy.
Agreed.

Funny thing is, my son was a bit heart broken, but then she sent him the first nasty video, and he was over it immediately.

Old 04-03-2018, 11:04 AM

6,093 posts, read 7,023,346 times
I'm 82 years old. When I was a teen, there were no cell phones nor did we have Facebook or Snapchat or Twitter or whatever else they teens have access to today.

I can clearly recall a girl in my school being on the end of a break-up and her friends rallied 'round and sent notes - yes, paper and pen were big back then - to the boy in question telling him he was a rat and a louse and a couple of other names. (Back then, most people had a milder vocabulary)

The boy tore up the notes; his "new" girlfriend just smiled at the dirty looks she got. By the end of 7th period, the old girlfriend was crying on the shoulder of one of the popular guys and by Monday morning, we all found something else to be outraged about. These events generally happened a couple of times a semester until Junior year. By then, relationships were better established and a level of maturity seemed to have kicked in. Actually, these events have taken place since time immemorial.

I would be cautious about taking my case to the school. It won't bode well for your son. Speaking to her parents will probably yield some sort of punishment for the girl, since she and your boy have been a couple for some time despite the parents' edict that she must wait until 16. That could get some relief from HER sending vile texts but it will not do a thing as far as her friends are concerned. They don't have to obey you or the girl's parents.

As long as she isn't pregnant, it will probably all blow over in a few weeks or until she finds a new boy to like. Encourage your son to be affable and polite in his dealings with his school friends and try to wait it out. It goes without saying but I'll say it anyway, tell him under no circumstances should he engage and respond to these texts.

You will have to decide on the course of action to take based on your own gut instinct. It's tough to be a mom, ask me how I know. <sigh>

Old 04-03-2018, 11:05 AM

16,105 posts, read 8,407,290 times
I still worry - what if right now, her parents don't know anything but they find out and she tries to blame your son, says he's stalking her or worse, he was sexually aggressive with her or something.

I just see the possibility that this could go very bad very quickly. These are tricky times we live in.

Old 04-03-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I still worry - what if right now, her parents don't know anything but they find out and she tries to blame your son, says he's stalking her or worse, he was sexually aggressive with her or something.

I just see the possibility that this could go very bad very quickly. These are tricky times we live in.
Yikes. Now you're freaking me out.

Old 04-03-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I'm 82 years old. When I was a teen, there were no cell phones nor did we have Facebook or Snapchat or Twitter or whatever else they teens have access to today.

I can clearly recall a girl in my school being on the end of a break-up and her friends rallied 'round and sent notes - yes, paper and pen were big back then - to the boy in question telling him he was a rat and a louse and a couple of other names. (Back then, most people had a milder vocabulary)

The boy tore up the notes; his "new" girlfriend just smiled at the dirty looks she got. By the end of 7th period, the old girlfriend was crying on the shoulder of one of the popular guys and by Monday morning, we all found something else to be outraged about. These events generally happened a couple of times a semester until Junior year. By then, relationships were better established and a level of maturity seemed to have kicked in. Actually, these events have taken place since time immemorial.

I would be cautious about taking my case to the school. It won't bode well for your son. Speaking to her parents will probably yield some sort of punishment for the girl, since she and your boy have been a couple for some time despite the parents' edict that she must wait until 16. That could get some relief from HER sending vile texts but it will not do a thing as far as her friends are concerned. They don't have to obey you or the girl's parents.

As long as she isn't pregnant, it will probably all blow over in a few weeks or until she finds a new boy to like. Encourage your son to be affable and polite in his dealings with his school friends and try to wait it out. It goes without saying but I'll say it anyway, tell him under no circumstances should he engage and respond to these texts.

You will have to decide on the course of action to take based on your own gut instinct. It's tough to be a mom, ask me how I know. <sigh>
Thanks for the cute story and the advice.

He knows not to respond to texts and to screen shot everything.

Old 04-03-2018, 12:18 PM

35,748 posts, read 34,386,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Yikes. Now you're freaking me out.
If there is no proof of that, he is fine.

You're the mom. You can't freak out.

Old 04-03-2018, 01:35 PM

1,546 posts, read 1,376,742 times
It's becoming increasingly clear that kids shouldn't be on social media until they're 18 years old. Apparently Instagram is currently the popular one right now.

Old 04-03-2018, 01:52 PM

12,376 posts, read 16,635,454 times
well if she goes to the parents she could get the " my kid does nothing wrong in my eyes " deal and then you are fighting a lost cause Op . I would contact the guidance counselor and see if they can help or if they can contact the parents and if the guidance counselor suggests that you all meet in a group do it and you can gauge then what the girls parents are about and if they have attitude then you can say Thank God my son and I dodge a bullet with that bunch . I would suggest the guidance counselor and if nothing else report the incident in case it happens again .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or