U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 09:00 PM

3,017 posts, read 2,560,357 times

Advertisements

My "mom intuition" is on alert but logically I think I'm over reacting, so wanted to put it on here for other input.

My son (15) has had a girlfriend at school this year (She is almost 15). They never actually dated because her parents said no dating until she was 16. They've been "boyfriend/girlfriend" since November. She actually seemed to pursue him more (she asked him to be her boyfriend). There were lots of phone calls and texts over the months. I met her a few times. My son got her some sweet little gifts for Christmas, Valentines Day, etc. AFAIK physically it was restricted to hugs and kisses.

Last week the girl texted him that they needed to "take a break" because really she needs to wait until she is 16, and can he wait for her for over a year until she is 16. My son said no, he doesn't want to be in the friend zone, so he was done.

Here's where it gets weird.

Her "friends" start bombarding my son with text messages, full of curse words and name calling.....,how could you break up with her?

The girl then starts sending him these awful videos about "you ruined my life/I hate you/" full of curse words and f bombs, etc.

Today she texts him, "what is your address?" (He didn't give it out).

This all feels a bit weird to me and I'm not sure if I should alert anyone at the school...?

Or maybe this is how things are nowadays and I'm overreacting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 09:07 PM

35,748 posts, read 34,386,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
My "mom intuition" is on alert but logically I think I'm over reacting, so wanted to put it on here for other input.

My son (15) has had a girlfriend at school this year (She is almost 15). They never actually dated because her parents said no dating until she was 16. They've been "boyfriend/girlfriend" since November. She actually seemed to pursue him more (she asked him to be her boyfriend). There were lots of phone calls and texts over the months. I met her a few times. My son got her some sweet little gifts for Christmas, Valentines Day, etc. AFAIK physically it was restricted to hugs and kisses.

Last week the girl texted him that they needed to "take a break" because really she needs to wait until she is 16, and can he wait for her for over a year until she is 16. My son said no, he doesn't want to be in the friend zone, so he was done.

Here's where it gets weird.

Her "friends" start bombarding my son with text messages, full of curse words and name calling.....,how could you break up with her?

The girl then starts sending him these awful videos about "you ruined my life/I hate you/" full of curse words and f bombs, etc.

Today she texts him, "what is your address?" (He didn't give it out).

This all feels a bit weird to me and I'm not sure if I should alert anyone at the school...?

Or maybe this is how things are nowadays and I'm overreacting?
Do you know her parents? That's who I would alert.

Old 04-02-2018, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Do you know her parents? That's who I would alert.
No, unfortunately.

Old 04-02-2018, 09:11 PM

35,748 posts, read 34,386,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
No, unfortunately.
Then I would find out their names and contact them. Tell them what has been happening, tell them you want it to stop, and tell them that you are concerned enough about it to go to the police but you want to give them the chance to stop it.

It's harassment. It's not how things are done these days, but pissant little teens don't know that.

No way would I stand for this.

Old 04-02-2018, 10:02 PM

1,370 posts, read 532,177 times
No not overreacting and I agree with Birdiebelle. Get screenshots of all the texts.

Old 04-02-2018, 10:26 PM

2,979 posts, read 2,948,445 times
Hmm, makes me think that her parent's rule of no dating before 16 was a good one for her.

Old 04-02-2018, 10:31 PM

886 posts, read 385,670 times
I'll cosign getting in touch with her parents, also.

That's ridiculous.

Old 04-02-2018, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Hmm, makes me think that her parent's rule of no dating before 16 was a good one for her.
Ha, my thoughts exactly!

If I can't get in touch with her parents, any other suggestions?

The school has an anonymous bullying/harassment online reporting system. I've considered that...

Old 04-02-2018, 11:50 PM

227 posts, read 62,012 times
I would get screenshots of everything.
Certainly contact her parents then see what happens
That might be all that is necessary
He dodged a bullet

Old 04-02-2018, 11:51 PM

14,619 posts, read 12,363,472 times
Don't you know her name? Surely she is prominent on your son's social media feeds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or