Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 02:43 PM

2,053 posts, read 1,527,324 times

Advertisements

I'm confused by this thread.

What ages are the "kids' that this thread is talking about? For the most part, it's adults who go wild over their team winning a championship and it does get out of hand.

College age children (18-21 years) also do stupid things like getting totally drunk and pulling pranks. Children under 18 can also be involved in the kinds of behaviors that the OP is talking about.

Because there is a steady stream of social media and 24/7 access, it seems like the world has gone to hell in a hand basket. I think people forget that just because nothing happened when and where they were growing up, doesn't mean things didn't happen elsewhere. A lot of CD posters like to reminisce about being able to explore places on their own when they were children and nothing bad happened to them. That may be true but what about the child who was kidnapped and killed two towns over? If it didn't make the national news, you might not have heard about it. No school shootings before the last few decades? There were school shootings in the 1860's and 1870's.

Who are the parents of these youngsters that the OP is talking about? For the most part, they are the parents and grandparents who grew up under the same conditions as the OP- having chores, respecting teachers, etc. Why aren't we asking what's wrong with parents today?

Old 04-04-2018, 02:43 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
You lost me at "what is wrong with kids today?".
In the sense that this thread has it, I agree.

I am inclined to feel that most "kids today" probably behave in ways that are within the parameters of the contemporary society and culture. And these have been changing at an ever-increasing rate of speed just since the end of WW II with a major impetus coming from technological and commercial innovations. Thus, they aren't truly products of a reassuringly stable environment.

If there is a "wrongness" about them, it is that they discover very quickly after helicoptered childhoods that they are being dumped into a world that is like the old chuck-a-luck dice cages in carnivals and county fairs of the past. Everything is up for grabs as never before - socially and economically. After being treated as "special snowflakes" in its ever-changing paramutations, if you will, they find that their destination is the microwave oven. Society is too fluid in every respect to deliver on any of the implied promises of adolescent years when the "kids" finally arrive in the post-college world. Beyond Mom and Dad, they really don't matter much at all. They are a mass of interchangeable expendables with dubious futures. From what I hear the anxiety and resentment runs through them like their own personal Grand Canyons.

Their "wrongness" is that they are very likely effed and they know it. They have rapidly advancing cancer and critics want to sit around and squeeze their zits.

Old 04-04-2018, 02:51 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
I've often thought that if our lives were filled with lots of physical labor, labor that we needed to just survive, we wouldn't have time or the inclination to be soooo...worried about everything else. I guess like a "Idle mind is the devil's workshop" kind of thing.

Which to my mind, ties in with what kevxu just said. Do you have a purpose? Do you know what it is? Can you achieve it? Etc.

Old 04-04-2018, 03:24 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,725,695 times
I think it's funny that OP thinks parents teach their kids to behave badly. What's the payoff I wonder?

I know a man, now in his 50s, who brought a shotgun into class and blew away his middle school math teacher. That was in 1972 or something. He was sick, went into a psychiatric hospital/prison, was released a few years later and is now a normal, successful family guy. It never made national news because that kind of thing wasn't all that uncommon. Today it makes the news because we have to fill 24 hours on cable news, and advertisers love random violence.

Old 04-04-2018, 03:45 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I think it's funny that OP thinks parents teach their kids to behave badly. What's the payoff I wonder?

I know a man, now in his 50s, who brought a shotgun into class and blew away his middle school math teacher. That was in 1972 or something. He was sick, went into a psychiatric hospital/prison, was released a few years later and is now a normal, successful family guy. It never made national news because that kind of thing wasn't all that uncommon. Today it makes the news because we have to fill 24 hours on cable news, and advertisers love random violence.

And what about that guy in Sweden...Norway...I forget where exactly, that shot up all those kids who were at camp? He was a full-assed grown man.

Like, as many of us keep trying to say...it's not just kids, and it's not new.

Old 04-04-2018, 03:48 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
my son is a police officer...who deals with kids...and of course as you probably suspect, deals with sometimes pretty bad kids...

He sees a change...and says, that kids are not evolving as quickly as they used to...

There is no need to become defensive or snarky, I'm not saying your kids are wrong, or your parenting is wrong.

This always wonders me, why, would you think I'm talking directly to you Marlow? I don't know you, I don't know how many kids you have or even if you had kids...why would you take offense to a post that has nothing to do with you, and then make such a snarky comment? Defensive and deflective, throwing it back at me?

This is a discussion, you don't have to like it, you don't have to agree with it, but what yo have to do, is allow me my thoughts and feelings, that you cannot control....as I can't control yours...but please don't "think you have to defend your parenting skills, I mean isn't that rather silly, and then to become angry. I don't have any small kids, but do plan on moving where my son lives soon.

Lets try to look at posts as more of a discussion....and if its not to your liking, than move on...
You suggested that people talk to teachers, coaches, and police officers to confirm that what you're saying is true. I responded that as the mother of a 19-year-old, I've been doing that for many years now. I'm not defensive and I didn't mean to be snarky.

Your hypothesis depends on anecdotal evidence from friends and acquaintances. I have the same sort of evidence to support my hypothesis that kids are no worse than they used to be.

Just because I don't agree with you doesn't mean I'm not participating in the discussion. And I stand by my suggestion that you spend some time with kids if it's been a while since you've done so. All the ones I know are pretty cool.

Old 04-04-2018, 03:51 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post

I know of a similar story. Just curious. Did the one you know about happen in Texas?

Old 04-04-2018, 05:33 PM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
You suggested that people talk to teachers, coaches, and police officers to confirm that what you're saying is true. I responded that as the mother of a 19-year-old, I've been doing that for many years now. I'm not defensive and I didn't mean to be snarky.

Your hypothesis depends on anecdotal evidence from friends and acquaintances. I have the same sort of evidence to support my hypothesis that kids are no worse than they used to be.

Just because I don't agree with you doesn't mean I'm not participating in the discussion. And I stand by my suggestion that you spend some time with kids if it's been a while since you've done so. All the ones I know are pretty cool.
How many times do I have to state in this thread that I don't think all Children are badd kids . How many times in this thread do I have to say that I don't believe all parents are bed parents.

I just want to show this morning that sparked this thread it was about kids that was celebrating that started bonfires in the streets that turned over cars that broke store front windows that's what was reported. And that report is what sparked this Thread.

Some women that came into the thread and commented have been very kind and understanding and posted their views even though they disagreed with mine and that's fine however If you wish to continue thinking then I believe all children I bid children then there's nothing more to discuss I'm not gonna continue to defend my feelings on this subject I could be wrong .

I grew up in a very sheltered small town call me naive but we didn't have this stuff going on ,Our parents were very strict and the kids were generally good kids.

I am so very very sorry that some ladies in this forum actually think and believe that I don't see any good in any kid and there is just no further discussion here I'm just not going to get tinue to defend this Subject

Marlow thank you very much for your kind explanation greatly appreciate you

Old 04-04-2018, 05:59 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,054,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I just want to show this morning that sparked this thread it was about kids that was celebrating that started bonfires in the streets that turned over cars that broke store front windows that's what was reported. And that report is what sparked this Thread.
And still no evidence whatsoever that the people TURNING OVER CARS were actual kids.

Old 04-04-2018, 09:11 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,725,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I know of a similar story. Just curious. Did the one you know about happen in Texas?
Yep. He was the son of the Governor's press secretary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting