U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-03-2018, 07:27 AM
 
Location: St. Louis, MO
4,009 posts, read 5,173,825 times
Reputation: 4525

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post

But I also know, that when a family has several kids, they can all be good kids except one, that is a problem, yet, they were all bought up by the same family, so the parenting was good, the kid just simply turned bad....?
Kids within the same family can definitely turn out differently. I strongly believe that nature is as much (if not more) of an influence than nurture.

However, aside from personality and temperament differences, parenting does come into play. I don't think there is a parent of multiple children on earth who can say that they parent each of their children exactly the same, all the time.

We may give the oldest child the most responsibility, or we may have spoiled him more when he was the "first and only" in the time before siblings came along. We may baby our younger children, or otherwise give them more freedom to what we did with older children.

Many parents are also in different life situations when children come along. Whether both parents were working full/part time or staying at home factors in as well.

Finally, aside from parenting, some kids, even from the best families, just get caught up with the wrong crowd at school or elsewhere. It happens.

 
Old 04-03-2018, 07:27 AM
 
25,455 posts, read 23,279,677 times
Reputation: 15310
I am witness from your postings, that not many posters are not even disappointed that those kids acted like that, it's more so, the fact that "Well everyone does it", that gives kids the permission to do so.

What would you do, if you found out your kid acted like this?
 
Old 04-03-2018, 07:41 AM
 
2,447 posts, read 1,052,471 times
Reputation: 9510
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I am witness from your postings, that not many posters are not even disappointed that those kids acted like that, it's more so, the fact that "Well everyone does it", that gives kids the permission to do so.

What would you do, if you found out your kid acted like this?

Of course it’s disappointing and unacceptable had the poster skipped “kids today” argument like bad and violent behavior is somehow a sudden phenomenon then that wouldn’t be the discussion.

I say the nfl shouldn’t be passive about their fans behavior outside the venue, well no sports group should be and fans who are caught vandalizing should be banned for a long time. Maybe alcohol shouldn’t be available at games, since alcohol plays a signifant role in the evening of rampant revelry and vandalism .

Last edited by Spuggy; 04-03-2018 at 07:49 AM..
 
Old 04-03-2018, 07:50 AM
 
Location: Denver area
21,139 posts, read 22,112,687 times
Reputation: 35533
It's mostly an issue of rose-colored glasses worn by previous generations. I recall (late 60s) living in a college town of one of the nation's biggest college rivalries. Pretty sure they boarded up the windows downtown during that football game.

It's not excusing bad behavior today but it's just not true that It's something new and unique to "kids today". What is new is 24-7 news cycle and the internet.
 
Old 04-03-2018, 07:56 AM
 
922 posts, read 563,601 times
Reputation: 1478
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
When did a college celebration, turn into a police dispatch?

I am so tired of kids being raised to believe, it's ok when their home team wins a sport, to celebrate by stomping on cars, turning them over, climbing light posts, smashing windows, destroying the property of others....and starting fires?

I just cannot for the life of me, understand, why and how they got the idea that this behavior is ok? And I don't care what city they are from, it's unacceptable behavior.

Celebrations are a reason or cause to destroy the property of others, including tax payer's belongings....

I believe this is part of the reason why kids are so unruly, and think it's ok to run from an officer and not respect a police officer's request....then when people get shot, right away it's the officer's fault...NO, it is not!!!!

Crime is crime, and if an officer yells, stop....they mean it....

Kids just don't seem to be able to grasp the concept of respect...and I'm sorry, but that comes from parenting....

and before anyone gets all upset and defensive about this post, I opened this for a discussion, b/c it's what I saw on the news this morning, upon reports of college basketball winning...so, don't go getting all upset thinking I know any of you personally and start getting all defensive in this thread....

This is some thing that needs to seriously be addressed, and discussed, b/c kids are losing the value of respect for themselves, respect for the property of others, and most of all, respect for laws.....they do not seem to be able to grasp the concept of wrong doings.

Why do you think that is, and what can we all do together to change it?

And this is different from the behavior of college students from previous generations how?

How old are you again?

Personally, I’m sick of people who complain about “kids of today” like they grew up in some kind of vacuum their entire lives and as a result are shocked by relatively NORMAL kid behavior then act like its the first time said behavior has ever occurred in the history of the world.
 
Old 04-03-2018, 07:58 AM
 
25,455 posts, read 23,279,677 times
Reputation: 15310
Quote:
Spuggy Of course it’s disappointing and unacceptable had the poster skipped “kids today” argument like bad and violent behavior is somehow a sudden phenomenon then that wouldn’t be the discussion.
so just because of wording, your not going to take a post seriously? sorry I don't own the control over words like some people do.

Quote:
I say the nfl shouldn’t be passive about their fans behavior outside the venue, well no sports group should be and fans who are caught vandalizing should be banned for a long time. Maybe alcohol shouldn’t be available at games, since alcohol plays a signifant role in the evening of rampant revelry and vandalism .
It's not the NFL responsibility to tell kids how to act, however, maybe if everyone or at least the majority of people would stop down playing all of this and start to live their lives by example, respecting all laws, perhaps things would change....

Yes, the news media, the NFL and of course the parents, ought to seriously and publically down play inappropriate behavior such as this, and so should everyone, instead of ignoring it.

Here's an example....

Every time, Philly has some kind of celebration or parade, they've got to send in trucks to pick up all the garbage grown adults leave behind? And I'm not talking a little bit of garbage, I'm talking lots and lots, it's disgusting. So, what do you expect their kids to do?
 
Old 04-03-2018, 07:58 AM
 
15,871 posts, read 13,434,729 times
Reputation: 35285
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
yes, I'll admit, there "were isolated cases" back then, but nothing like it is today....I know we never ever thought about destroying property...especially the year our football team won the championship....it just didn't happen....

Yes, some kids drank, and there were isolated cases of hooligans getting into some sort of mild trouble, but nothing like today...even in colleges back then kids had good clean fun for the most part...yes, there was drunken-ness and tons of frat parties, but when we saw trouble rising, we'd leave....didn't want to be a part of any trouble.
And you're saying that this never happens anymore? That ALL kids are hooligans and don't have the sense to stay out of it?

These are still isolated cases. Just more heavily covered by media.

I think you are being naive and are one of those adults who simply despises other people's children. I suspect you have never raised any.
 
Old 04-03-2018, 08:05 AM
 
25,455 posts, read 23,279,677 times
Reputation: 15310
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
And you're saying that this never happens anymore? That ALL kids are hooligans and don't have the sense to stay out of it?

These are still isolated cases. Just more heavily covered by media.

I think you are being naive and are one of those adults who simply despises other people's children. I suspect you have never raised any.
No, I disagree, they showed pictures of the police that were dispatched and the thousands of kids out there in the streets celebrating, I bet there were at least 20 police on motor cycles....


Not at all an isolated case.

Zentropa, I not only raised my own kid, but I used to baby sit when I was younger, was a youth group adviser, a Sunday School Teacher and our home was the home all the kids hung at....why do you always surmise and make up negative scenarios to prove your point? You don't know a poster, and btw, in my other posts, I say, Most, and not "ALL KIDS", so please don't take a negative swing on things and pretend to know, what you obviously don't know and I am far from naive....

Now if one of your kids did this, what would you do?
 
Old 04-03-2018, 08:08 AM
 
25,455 posts, read 23,279,677 times
Reputation: 15310
I think if more and more parents would stop excusing bad behavior, maybe less of this would happen....but to say, "well, it was done years ago" is looking to deflect the issue.
 
Old 04-03-2018, 08:09 AM
 
Location: Brew City
3,138 posts, read 1,957,137 times
Reputation: 4174
What's with self-righteous people (of all ages) today?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top