U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-03-2018, 08:12 AM
 
5,772 posts, read 3,823,126 times
Reputation: 15636

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
What's with self-righteous people (of all ages) today?
+1 Maybe their homes have no mirrors?

 
Old 04-03-2018, 08:14 AM
 
4,947 posts, read 1,944,976 times
Reputation: 14638
This is NOT new. In fact, it used to happen a lot more.

College rivals had to hide their mascots if they were live animals because horrible (or funny, actually, like dying the mascot the opposing teams color) things would happen. During Spring break, beaches had to be closed or closely patrolled not just for teen alcohol poisoning but because teens would knock down beach houses and roll cars.

I don't see that anymore, at all. It's just really crowded and hamburger shacks are crowded and it's hard to get a cheap hotel room because it's crowded. And frisbees are flying around everywhere.

My high school (70s and 80s) had "breakaway" goal posts that were light and would come off at the base easily if someone leaned on it or climbed it, because after a game students would charge the field and climb the goal posts and push each other off, etc. leading to injuries.

Teens would party at a parent's home while the parents were gone and destroy it.

I'd say, on balance, this crop of teenagers/20 somethings is better behaved than the last few generations have been. A lot.
 
Old 04-03-2018, 08:18 AM
 
4,629 posts, read 2,739,683 times
Reputation: 15624
The laws of the country and the social laws of civilization are guidelines set up to keep us all safe, relatively content and on a path most guaranteed to help us succeed.

What's self-righteous about expecting people to follow them?

What's kind or wise about giving people a pass to break them?
 
Old 04-03-2018, 08:25 AM
 
Location: Denver area
20,975 posts, read 21,612,204 times
Reputation: 34776
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
No, I disagree, they showed pictures of the police that were dispatched and the thousands of kids out there in the streets celebrating, I bet there were at least 20 police on motor cycles....


Not at all an isolated case.

Zentropa, I not only raised my own kid, but I used to baby sit when I was younger, was a youth group adviser, a Sunday School Teacher and our home was the home all the kids hung at....why do you always surmise and make up negative scenarios to prove your point? You don't know a poster, and btw, in my other posts, Isay, Most, and not "ALL KIDS", so please don't take a negative swing on things and pretend to know, what you obviously don't know and I am far from naive....

Now if one of your kids did this, what would you do?
But it's not most kids. Most kids you hear nothing about. It's *some* kids. I'd go so far as to say that in the scheme of things it's a relatively few kids. Just like it always has been. Just like it's *some* adults who behave badly. *Most* men aren't rapists just because the news and internet report on those who are. *Most* young women aren't spending their days posting selfies just because you can't help but hearing about the Kardashians.
 
Old 04-03-2018, 08:34 AM
 
Location: Denver area
20,975 posts, read 21,612,204 times
Reputation: 34776
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
so just because of wording, your not going to take a post seriously? sorry I don't own the control over words like some people do.


I don't understand this comment.

You pointedly title your post about "kids today" and posted in the Parenting forum. It's not as if you were simply misunderstood because you aren't good with words..
 
Old 04-03-2018, 08:48 AM
 
Location: Central, NJ
2,256 posts, read 4,696,404 times
Reputation: 2745
I guess what's "wrong with kids today" can be traced back to their grandparents. They are the ones that raised the parents of "these kids today". They were clearly terrible parents themselves who failed miserably at raising their own children. How else could we have a generation of parents now who are raising all of these entitled brats? If only the grandparents of today had done their jobs properly when they were parents of their own young children, all would be right with the world today.

 
Old 04-03-2018, 08:51 AM
 
24,580 posts, read 22,525,519 times
Reputation: 14634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
The laws of the country and the social laws of civilization are guidelines set up to keep us all safe, relatively content and on a path most guaranteed to help us succeed.

What's self-righteous about expecting people to follow them?

What's kind or wise about giving people a pass to break them?
thank you, that is the way I feel, several people seem to excuse the behavior for what ever reason and I don't believe any of us should....

it's almost as if, everyone excuses the behavior...and it's not supposed to be, it doesn't have anything to do with being self righteous....

thank you for recognizing that...

I started this thread and others to perhaps alert and discuss, maybe to the extent of what we could all do together to avoid it....but unfortunately it doesn't always work that way....
anyway, thanks so much for understanding.
 
Old 04-03-2018, 08:55 AM
 
Location: Monnem Germany/ from San Diego
2,220 posts, read 2,229,043 times
Reputation: 4559
Kids today are on the whole way better than we were growing up in the 70's and 80's.
 
Old 04-03-2018, 08:56 AM
 
Location: Bloomington IN
5,387 posts, read 6,711,299 times
Reputation: 12904
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Why do kids use this for a reason to destroy the property of others....who pays for dispatching the police? Who by the way showed up in droves, b/c the kids were getting out of hand.

I'm sorry, but it's just plain wrong....breaking windows, stomping up and down on cars....how would you like it if it were your car? My point is, celebrating is fine, but, when you destroy the property of others...it's down right disrespectful and takes away from the idea of it all....don't you think? I mean, it shows a lack of respect for everyone, even the players....
It's not that the behavior is right. It's not. But your idea that it's just "kids today" is off base. I'll know I'm getting old when I use the phrase, "kids today blah, blah, blah." It's a bit intolerant in my opinion and diminishes the great things young people accomplish. Personally I view young people as the future and have hope that they will be able to right the wrongs and make the world better. From everything I see I don't think my hope and idealism is misplaced. Different world view and life outlook I suppose.
 
Old 04-03-2018, 09:04 AM
 
24,580 posts, read 22,525,519 times
Reputation: 14634
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
It's not that the behavior is right. It's not. But your idea that it's just "kids today" is off base. I'll know I'm getting old when I use the phrase, "kids today blah, blah, blah." Personally I view young people as the future and have hope that they will be able to right the wrongs and make the world better. From everything I see I don't think my hope and idealism is misplaced. Different world view and life outlook I suppose.
I view young people as the future as well, however, I'm also dealing with kids at work, and I was listening to three generations over Easter complain about the kids they are working with and how they expect to walk into a position and get top paying positions with very little work. But that's another subject....then this morning, I watched a video of about 20 cops being dispatched to drive within the crowds of college kids celebrating...some were climbing light posts, others were jumping up and down on cars...rolling cars over...I mean, I just don't get the enjoyment of destroying the property of others...how is that a celebration. Then they started a huge bonfire in the middle of the street, and the cops said, ENOUGH!

Yes, they've always been around, but, it's a growing event...to celebrate is fine, to destroy is not...all in the name of winning a game, is wrong...and believe a lot of posters excuse the behavior all too much.

Perhaps I am naive, but we never did those things, that isn't being self righteous, and it doesn't call for insulting a poster who believes it's wrong to use a positive action to commit crimes...and as far as the wording "kids today", is how I feel...most kids as a whole didn't do those things, even in college, the most they did was drink, but they didn't destroy the property of others...they didn't bring guns to school....well, they did, but that's b/c they had gun club that day.

For the most part I think kids are great...but there are some who spoil it for others, and how does that kind of behavior make the players feel? They sure wouldn't encourage it....

sorry I stepped on anyone's toes by opening this....

Mods, you can close this thread anytime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top