U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 09:05 AM

3,464 posts, read 6,726,456 times

Advertisements

I'm stunned that the OP is singling out teenagers. I saw plenty of middle aged men tearing up Philadelphia after the Eagles won Super Bowl.

Old 04-03-2018, 09:07 AM

23,965 posts, read 21,995,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
I'm stunned that the OP is singling out teenagers. I saw plenty of middle aged men tearing up Philadelphia after the Eagles won Super Bowl.
I didn't watch that, to be quit frank, not into sports at all, this just stuck out at me, like a sore thumb this a.m. on the news....

Your stunned, why? Because I'm not into sports at all, or because I didn't include adults?

when both children or adults act like this, I take it as a personal insult...it attacks my integrity...it's about my taxes...not to mention the people who are hurt by these types of actions...so yeah, adults to...

How people, human beings can take a positive event, and turn it into a reason to destroy the property of others is beyond me....and just the fact that they called out a police dispatch to disperse the crowds is reason enough. It's wrong period. If that is self righteous, well then, I'm glad my parents raised me the way they did...

Old 04-03-2018, 09:08 AM

13,811 posts, read 19,558,746 times
I agree that is is not "kids today". I think we hear a lot more of what is happening around the country because of social media. This has been happening for decades, just not widely reported.

We have all been living in a bubble of our sweet communities. The walls are getting torn down and reality is showing.

Old 04-03-2018, 09:09 AM

4,333 posts, read 2,571,069 times
Maybe it's the trend of polarization that we're going through right now combined with higher population? From my perspective the worst are so much worse and the best are so much better.

Also it's worth mentioning that the human genome is undergoing a breakdown at a more rapid rate than previously. I can google some recent scientific articles I've read about this but I'd sure prefer if you did it yourself. LOL.

Modern medicine is now able to keep babies alive which used to die and they are passing along genetics which aren't standard. It's an awkward thing to talk about because of the implications and I'd like to just approach it neutrally here. As a result it's speeding up an evolution, or devolution, of the human genome. I can't help but believe that we are seeing some of the social effects of improving foetal viability.

Unintended consequences.

Old 04-03-2018, 09:10 AM

639 posts, read 226,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post

Yes, some kids drank, and there were isolated cases of hooligans getting into some sort of mild trouble, but nothing like today...even in colleges back then kids had good clean fun for the most part..
That made me laugh out loud.

No crime amongst college kids until "these days"? Is this some kind of joke?

Sounds like you were a sweet kid, and I was too (too busy working to make trouble), but there were plenty of kids who had wild keggers and tore up the city when I was young. And my mom's generation, my god... most of the wild ones died from all the drugs so we just don't see them around now.

Old 04-03-2018, 09:11 AM

23,965 posts, read 21,995,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neerwhal View Post
That made me laugh out loud.

No crime amongst college kids until "these days"? Is this some kind of joke?

Sounds like you were a sweet kid, and I was too (too busy working to make trouble), but there were plenty of kids who had wild keggers and tore up the city when I was young. And my mom's generation, my god... most of the wild ones died from all the drugs so we just don't see them around now.
you read it the way you wanted to read it....I didn't say or man that...I did say there were always kids that got out of hand, but nothing like today...sure there were isolated cases, sure there were down right bad kids, but for the most part, kids didn't act out violently....kids didn't shoot each other up...kids didn't talk back to teachers to the extent it is happening today...

Old 04-03-2018, 09:12 AM

555 posts, read 128,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
When did a college celebration, turn into a police dispatch?

I am so tired of kids being raised to believe, it's ok when their home team wins a sport, to celebrate by stomping on cars, turning them over, climbing light posts, smashing windows, destroying the property of others....and starting fires?

I just cannot for the life of me, understand, why and how they got the idea that this behavior is ok? And I don't care what city they are from, it's unacceptable behavior.

Celebrations are a reason or cause to destroy the property of others, including tax payer's belongings....

I believe this is part of the reason why kids are so unruly, and think it's ok to run from an officer and not respect a police officer's request....then when people get shot, right away it's the officer's fault...NO, it is not!!!!

Crime is crime, and if an officer yells, stop....they mean it....

Kids just don't seem to be able to grasp the concept of respect...and I'm sorry, but that comes from parenting....

and before anyone gets all upset and defensive about this post, I opened this for a discussion, b/c it's what I saw on the news this morning, upon reports of college basketball winning...so, don't go getting all upset thinking I know any of you personally and start getting all defensive in this thread....

This is some thing that needs to seriously be addressed, and discussed, b/c kids are losing the value of respect for themselves, respect for the property of others, and most of all, respect for laws.....they do not seem to be able to grasp the concept of wrong doings.

Why do you think that is, and what can we all do together to change it?
I'm reminded of a piece about "kids today" and how rude, out of control, and disrespectful they are; it was written a couple centuries ago (wish I could find it). Anyway, don't start with the kids, they simply model the adults in their world. Have you noticed the ADULTS today? Ever watch a reality show? That's where the kids learn their behavior. When my children were small, they had very good manners. Even my toddlers would say 'scuse me when they walked in front of someone, knocked on doors before entering, and said please and thank-you. Another mother at preschool asked me how I got my kids to have such good manners because no matter how much she told hers, they didn't listen. I was taken aback a bit and said I didn't really tell them anything, I just said "excuse me" anytime I walked in front of someone, I knocked on their doors before entering, and I said please and thank you to them. They were little sponges and simply modeled what they saw. I'm not proud to say, that went both ways and they held up a mirror to some of my bad habits that needed changing!!! One of my sons had a small dashboard with a steering wheel attached to the bar of his car seat (before I knew these types of car seats were dangerous) and he would pretend to drive. One day he keeps honking the little horn and saying loudly, "STUPID BE IT", over and over. It took a bit but I finally realized he was saying "stupid idiot" and honking! Needless to say, I stopped doing that with kids in the car! If we want better behaved young people, we need better-behaved adults! You have to live your sermon!

Old 04-03-2018, 09:23 AM

4,333 posts, read 2,571,069 times
I believe we can talk about this without the either/or mindset. Can't we?

We certainly do have some factors in our society affecting behavior that weren't present fifty years ago. The older ones of us here can see the difference.

It's not a matter of labeling and blaming so I don't see any need for defensiveness on any side. I raised a boy and a girl and know they had pressures that just weren't there when I was growing up. And it showed in some of their bad choices.

One thing I see nearly everywhere that scarcely existed while I was growing up is foetal alcohol effect. When the baby bragger comes out in the paper once a year I just cringe looking at how many of those sweet little folks have the physical markers of parental alcohol abuse. That affects a child by making it difficult for him to make the connection between what he does and possible negative outcomes. It looks just like antisocial personality disorder.

All by itself the widespread effects of mood-altering chemicals we use in this society is certain to create changes in our social behavior. There's always at least one guy at the party who wants to fight when he drinks too much.

Old 04-03-2018, 09:40 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,797,581 times
Youths today are apparently better behaved, on the whole, than previous generations:

https://www.economist.com/news/inter...haved-and-less

Old 04-03-2018, 09:56 AM

47,112 posts, read 47,099,131 times
I don't think it's kids today, either. My friends and I used to start fires in the ladies room wastebasket, or in lockers (we dropped lit matches into the little hole beneath the latch) just for the fun of it. That was in the 70s. There will always be stupid kids who destroy property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or