U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 10:26 AM

5,017 posts, read 2,718,445 times

Advertisements

Young people doing good things aren't newsworthy. People would rather watch drama on the news... like the OP. Crap sells!

Old 04-03-2018, 10:30 AM

4,912 posts, read 1,921,957 times
It's the hippin and the hoppin and the bippin and the boppin.

https://youtu.be/cOkzgjW0B9M?t=15s

Last edited by Uncle Bully; 04-03-2018 at 10:42 AM..

Old 04-03-2018, 10:33 AM

5,537 posts, read 3,630,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Young people doing good things aren't newsworthy. People would rather watch drama on the news... like the OP. Crap sells!
Hear, hear!

I always say, "crap in, crap out."

Old 04-03-2018, 11:22 AM

23,999 posts, read 27,479,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I view young people as the future as well, however, I'm also dealing with kids at work, and I was listening to three generations over Easter complain about the kids they are working with and how they expect to walk into a position and get top paying positions with very little work. But that's another subject....then this morning, I watched a video of about 20 cops being dispatched to drive within the crowds of college kids celebrating...some were climbing light posts, others were jumping up and down on cars...rolling cars over...I mean, I just don't get the enjoyment of destroying the property of others...how is that a celebration. Then they started a huge bonfire in the middle of the street, and the cops said, ENOUGH!

Yes, they've always been around, but, it's a growing event...to celebrate is fine, to destroy is not...all in the name of winning a game, is wrong...and believe a lot of posters excuse the behavior all too much.

Perhaps I am naive, but we never did those things, that isn't being self righteous, and it doesn't call for insulting a poster who believes it's wrong to use a positive action to commit crimes...and as far as the wording "kids today", is how I feel...most kids as a whole didn't do those things, even in college, the most they did was drink, but they didn't destroy the property of others...they didn't bring guns to school....well, they did, but that's b/c they had gun club that day.

For the most part I think kids are great...but there are some who spoil it for others, and how does that kind of behavior make the players feel? They sure wouldn't encourage it....

sorry I stepped on anyone's toes by opening this....

Mods, you can close this thread anytime.
Neither do most of the kids today. Obviously it's wrong. Do you really think parents these days are, for the most part, teaching kids that this kind of behavior is acceptable? I don't.

Old 04-03-2018, 11:42 AM

4,100 posts, read 4,323,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
I'm stunned that the OP is singling out teenagers. I saw plenty of middle aged men tearing up Philadelphia after the Eagles won Super Bowl.
Right? It's not just kids. Fans of all ages have become destructive while celebrating their team (be it college or professional) winning a championship. It boggles my mind that anyone would do that but it happens.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.c9d48b34219c

"Fires in the streets. Smashed windows. Flipped cars. Light poles toppled by alcohol-fueled crowds. Philadelphia awoke this morning after the triumph of Super Bowl Sunday to a city in disarray and this vexing question: What is it about sports that makes fans riot?

Why do fans care so intensely about their teams? What is going on in their brains after a win or loss? What circumstances make a riot more likely?

Psychologists and sociologists have studied the phenomenon of sports fan violence and have found some interesting answers. Researchers attribute violent behavior to a heady mixture of factors: intense fan identification with a team, behavioral changes when people become part of a mob, and strong psychological and physiological responses when your team wins or loses."

It's been happening for years.

https://www.foxsports.com/college-ba...te-wins-040312

Last edited by HokieFan; 04-03-2018 at 11:51 AM..

Old 04-03-2018, 11:49 AM

9,336 posts, read 7,353,454 times
Strong women. The good old days when you could drive your date 40 miles into the wilderness and then give her just two options are long gone, but that was a pretty conventional means of letting off steam when I was in my teens.

Old 04-03-2018, 11:54 AM

4,100 posts, read 4,323,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
Strong women. The good old days when you could drive your date 40 miles into the wilderness and then give her just two options are long gone, but that was a pretty conventional means of letting off steam when I was in my teens.

Old 04-03-2018, 12:04 PM

4,912 posts, read 1,921,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
Wow you lived in a rough neighborhood.

Old 04-03-2018, 12:11 PM

23,964 posts, read 21,995,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Maybe it's the trend of polarization that we're going through right now combined with higher population? From my perspective the worst are so much worse and the best are so much better.

Also it's worth mentioning that the human genome is undergoing a breakdown at a more rapid rate than previously. I can google some recent scientific articles I've read about this but I'd sure prefer if you did it yourself. LOL.

Modern medicine is now able to keep babies alive which used to die and they are passing along genetics which aren't standard. It's an awkward thing to talk about because of the implications and I'd like to just approach it neutrally here. As a result it's speeding up an evolution, or devolution, of the human genome. I can't help but believe that we are seeing some of the social effects of improving foetal viability.

Unintended consequences.
well, I can certainly understand your hesitation and why, after some of the comments here, but it does most certainly make sense....

thank you....

Old 04-03-2018, 12:16 PM

23,964 posts, read 21,995,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I believe we can talk about this without the either/or mindset. Can't we?

We certainly do have some factors in our society affecting behavior that weren't present fifty years ago. The older ones of us here can see the difference.

It's not a matter of labeling and blaming so I don't see any need for defensiveness on any side. I raised a boy and a girl and know they had pressures that just weren't there when I was growing up. And it showed in some of their bad choices.

One thing I see nearly everywhere that scarcely existed while I was growing up is foetal alcohol effect. When the baby bragger comes out in the paper once a year I just cringe looking at how many of those sweet little folks have the physical markers of parental alcohol abuse. That affects a child by making it difficult for him to make the connection between what he does and possible negative outcomes. It looks just like antisocial personality disorder.

All by itself the widespread effects of mood-altering chemicals we use in this society is certain to create changes in our social behavior. There's always at least one guy at the party who wants to fight when he drinks too much.
Never once considered that, but a very noteworthy find.
We were discussing this yesterday, regarding social abilities...which I'm sure is also effected...

many thanks and yes, I thought we could discuss this as well and had given up hope for an intelligent discussion....but there are certain factors out there which is affecting children and teenagers...

My son is in law enforcement and he made an interesting statement...about kids not evolving nearly as quickly as we did....

I stated in my first posts, that I'm not blaming anyone's child here....simply wanted to open it up for discussion to see if anyone else was noticing huge changes....

Yes, this stuff went on before, but it wasn't as much, you had isolated cases here and there, but normally kids stayed away from trouble, and moved on....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or