U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 12:16 PM

15,030 posts, read 15,866,956 times

Advertisements

There's nothing wrong with kids "today" that hasn't been wrong for years. Kids are by nature impulsive and some more so than others. They take risks and act before they think. But by and large they survive and turn into functioning adults.

Unless my daughter is greatly deceiving me, she and her friends are much more thoughtful and better behaved than my friends and I were at their age. And thank goodness for that.

A high school friend of mine used to like to drive around and whack mailboxes with a bat for fun. During the school lunch hour, no less. But he grew up and went on to have a successful career and appears to be a model citizen.

Old 04-03-2018, 12:18 PM

25,176 posts, read 23,023,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Young people doing good things aren't newsworthy. People would rather watch drama on the news... like the OP. Crap sells!
yes, they are doing good things....never said they were not, but, this is not drama, there is in fact something going on out there with kids....

and btw, I don't watch the news, I watch the weather, the news is simply on, and I caught this, this morning...

I've noted a huge change in kids now for quit a while, and while you don't agree, thats fine...but wanted to open this up for discussions of reasons why?

Old 04-03-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Neither do most of the kids today. Obviously it's wrong. Do you really think parents these days are, for the most part, teaching kids that this kind of behavior is acceptable? I don't.
well, kibbiekat, something is going on....something is changing....and I'm trying to find out why....

I'm repeating what I heard on the news....and it's disturbing, that kids would go that far....

that is why a police presence was called upon and they decided it was time to end it before it became worse....

Normally this doesn't happen...no, but why so many, and why chance on hurting someone else, and getting in trouble, be it their property or getting in fights, or breaking windows....

Old 04-03-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Right? It's not just kids. Fans of all ages have become destructive while celebrating their team (be it college or professional) winning a championship. It boggles my mind that anyone would do that but it happens.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.c9d48b34219c

"Fires in the streets. Smashed windows. Flipped cars. Light poles toppled by alcohol-fueled crowds. Philadelphia awoke this morning after the triumph of Super Bowl Sunday to a city in disarray and this vexing question: What is it about sports that makes fans riot?

Why do fans care so intensely about their teams? What is going on in their brains after a win or loss? What circumstances make a riot more likely?

Psychologists and sociologists have studied the phenomenon of sports fan violence and have found some interesting answers. Researchers attribute violent behavior to a heady mixture of factors: intense fan identification with a team, behavioral changes when people become part of a mob, and strong psychological and physiological responses when your team wins or loses."

It's been happening for years.

https://www.foxsports.com/college-ba...te-wins-040312
yes, your right, it's not just kids....so b/c the adults are doing it, the kids think it's ok?

I just don't think or believe cities should have to tolerate this any longer, but what is the answer?

It is so marvelous to win....but the phenomenon to destroy in a gang like attitude?

thanks so much for your posts and the links....

Old 04-03-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
There's nothing wrong with kids "today" that hasn't been wrong for years. Kids are by nature impulsive and some more so than others. They take risks and act before they think. But by and large they survive and turn into functioning adults.

Unless my daughter is greatly deceiving me, she and her friends are much more thoughtful and better behaved than my friends and I were at their age. And thank goodness for that.

A high school friend of mine used to like to drive around and whack mailboxes with a bat for fun. During the school lunch hour, no less. But he grew up and went on to have a successful career and appears to be a model citizen.
I know that to be true, b/c I remember hearing kids talk about it, but to be honest, we used to stay away from those kids....and yes, some still do it, but it is behavior that shouldn't be excused or shrugged off as if it's normal behavior...it's not....

Old 04-03-2018, 12:28 PM

5,917 posts, read 3,995,770 times
Kids are horrible because their parents are stupid. Just confirmed what you overheard on the news, which I'm sure included the ages of all the miscreants.

Feel better?

Old 04-03-2018, 12:30 PM

21,073 posts, read 21,940,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post

Yes, this stuff went on before, but it wasn't as much, you had isolated cases here and there, but normally kids stayed away from trouble, and moved on....
Just like most kids today do.

Old 04-03-2018, 12:39 PM

1,612 posts, read 628,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
I'm just putting this out there because I'm tired of "adults" complaining about "kids today." I know that's gone on forever, but my personal opinion is that it's backwards looking instead of forward looking.

For what it's worth, I was a college student when my college basketball team won the same basketball championship 2 different times. The same kind of thing went on in the 1980's. I was there. It has nothing to do with parenting.
Actually, it has everything to do with parenting, or the lack there of. Itís about respect. Respecting the property of others is a fundamental principle that must be taught at a very early age. Unfortunately many kids never receive this type of in house education, and it shows when they participate in the kinds of things the OP mentioned. Respect isnít something you just happen to pick up on, itís a learned behavior.

And lest you think Iím banging on young people, I see just as much disrespect of others property by older people as I do younger. It is a fact that as a society we have chosen to ignore the principles of respect and good manners, and age has little to do with it.

Old 04-03-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't think it's kids today, either. My friends and I used to start fires in the ladies room wastebasket, or in lockers (we dropped lit matches into the little hole beneath the latch) just for the fun of it. That was in the 70s. There will always be stupid kids who destroy property.
What?

Old 04-03-2018, 12:46 PM

588 posts, read 53,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I don't believe we were bored? But we did drive faster than we should, however, we didn't drink but we tried smoking....however, we knew better than to go out and destroy the property of others...
When you say, today's kids are a tame bunch, I don't think they are....not from what I've seen, but yes, they are socially naive due to technology...not to mention, immature, I don't believe they've evolved as much as we did...but we worked when we were young...and again, it probably all depended on the culture of the town or city you were raised in?

your right, it isn't the same issue, but totally stems from the same problems, lack of respect for others...lack of respect for the property of others, lack of respect for rules and regulations....

but yes, something has to change...and your so right on with the issue as far as when they get killed, now it's to late for the blame game, lets figure out why it happened and fix it...

I think it is mostly a parenting problem....b/c not all kids engage in this type of behavior, they know better and shy away from it...due to the way they were bought up.

But I also know, that when a family has several kids, they can all be good kids except one, that is a problem, yet, they were all bought up by the same family, so the parenting was good, the kid just simply turned bad....?
Growing up, I recall kids getting out of hand on occasion (in the sixties). I dont think itís increased. Today, if.a news story breaks out in any small city, we will hear about it on our 24-hour news or on the internet. Back then, these skirmishes were limited to the local newspapers. If anything, Kids seem brighter and more respectable nowadays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting