Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 01:57 PM

638 posts, read 529,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
you read it the way you wanted to read it....I didn't say or man that...I did say there were always kids that got out of hand, but nothing like today...sure there were isolated cases, sure there were down right bad kids, but for the most part, kids didn't act out violently....kids didn't shoot each other up...kids didn't talk back to teachers to the extent it is happening today...
For the most part kids didn't act out violently?

How old do you think Bonnie and Clyde were?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonnie_and_Clyde

Take a look at their pictures... one forgets just how young and innocent they looked (as well as how many people they murdered).

What's that you say? That is one incident on the national news? But my dear... so is your anecdote.

Most young people aren't interesting enough to make the news even if they were violent, which they aren't. Not enough initiative.

Old 04-03-2018, 02:08 PM

4,272 posts, read 6,298,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalabran View Post
"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter inplace of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

Socrates - 300 BC

copied and pasted from a similar CD thread
Did the Greeks call things "dainties?" I'm thinking not....

I know this quote is always attributed to Socrates, but dainties is NOT a Greek (or even Latin) term.

Old 04-03-2018, 02:15 PM

136 posts, read 98,437 times
I think kids and young adults back then where held accountable for their actions then they are now. Parents also took more responsibility for their kids actions too. That's why I think you didn't hear about it as much as you do now.

Old 04-03-2018, 02:19 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,089 times
Quote:
When did a college celebration, turn into a police dispatch?

I am so tired of kids being raised to believe, it's ok when their home team wins a sport, to celebrate by stomping on cars, turning them over, climbing light posts, smashing windows, destroying the property of others....and starting fires?

I just cannot for the life of me, understand, why and how they got the idea that this behavior is ok? And I don't care what city they are from, it's unacceptable behavior.

Celebrations are a reason or cause to destroy the property of others, including tax payer's belongings....

I believe this is part of the reason why kids are so unruly, and think it's ok to run from an officer and not respect a police officer's request....then when people get shot, right away it's the officer's fault...NO, it is not!!!!

Crime is crime, and if an officer yells, stop....they mean it....

Kids just don't seem to be able to grasp the concept of respect...and I'm sorry, but that comes from parenting....

and before anyone gets all upset and defensive about this post, I opened this for a discussion, b/c it's what I saw on the news this morning, upon reports of college basketball winning...so, don't go getting all upset thinking I know any of you personally and start getting all defensive in this thread....

This is some thing that needs to seriously be addressed, and discussed, b/c kids are losing the value of respect for themselves, respect for the property of others, and most of all, respect for laws.....they do not seem to be able to grasp the concept of wrong doings.

Why do you think that is, and what can we all do together to change it?
They will learn to be politically and socially correct when they move into jobs. Until then, let them be kids.

Old 04-03-2018, 02:37 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Maybe all of you who believe that children are such wonderful little people.....need to speak with teachers, more frequently and police....its no longer just the inner city kids....also coaches, who coach kids sports....and the way parents act...at the kids sports games....
Was it ever just inner city kids?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weenie66 View Post
I think kids and young adults back then where held accountable for their actions then they are now. Parents also took more responsibility for their kids actions too. That's why I think you didn't hear about it as much as you do now.
I disagree. My dad and his friends used to blow up mail boxes and set fires back in the 50's and never had any consequences. Today they'd be in juvenile hall. This was in the suburbs, not the inner city.

Old 04-03-2018, 02:52 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post

I disagree. My dad and his friends used to blow up mail boxes and set fires back in the 50's and never had any consequences. Today they'd be in juvenile hall. This was in the suburbs, not the inner city.
Not to mention, previous generation's "youthful indiscretions" were eventually forgotten. Today everything is on the internet forever. No moving past it.

I remember my kids going to college worrying that some person would take a picture of them at a party with a red Solo cup in the picture, pos it on social media and worried they'd not get a job after graduating.

Last edited by maciesmom; 04-03-2018 at 03:02 PM..

Old 04-03-2018, 02:56 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post

Boys being boys and all .

Old 04-03-2018, 02:58 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,397,493 times
Kids have always done these things. And no, not anymore isolated than now. You just didn't have the ability to see it on social media, the internet, TV, etc. No one was filming it with an iphone for all to see. And honestly, most kids have always been basically good kids...now and then. There are some things parents are doing wrong now compared to the past and other things they are doing better (when you know better, you do better...but sometimes you overcompensate). Kids these days are smart and creative. They are innovative and they are a lot more open minded. Kids these days are pretty great for the most part. And some of what they deal with these days is downright scary compared to what we dealt with (internet predators, online bullying, learning to navigate a new tech world)...so I'd say they are handling it about as well as teens can be expected with parents who have no personal experience with anything. I have a teenager and the internet didn't explode until I was in grad school, so I'm learning as I go with the stuff teens use to communicate now. Kids these days have different issues, but they are no better and no worse than what you are romanticizing in the past. Hell, I thank God my younger years weren't captured on an iphone video for eternity. And I was a basically good kid.

Old 04-03-2018, 03:02 PM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
My daughter is a teacher. More issues with parents than with kids.
Yes that's what I hear 2 except for some teachers will say the children become like their parents in school . I Want to thank you for the discussion greatly appreciate

Old 04-03-2018, 03:08 PM

6,931 posts, read 218,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weenie66 View Post
. Keep in mind, Folks today can’t sneeze without being photographed.
We have a 24 hour nationwide news-cycle now. Plus, everyone is walking around with cameras in their phones, ready to upload to the world at a moment’s notice. There are thousands of local news stories being broadcast every day.

When i grew up, (in the 60s), most families only had 1 car, (which dad took to work). Kids weren’t in touch with mom at any moment’s notice. Parents did not have the means to hover over their kids as much as today.
My wife and I had much more responsibility for our 3 kids, than my parents did, thanks to modern conveniences. My kids are now becoming responsible adults without any major setbacks thru the years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting