Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 08:18 PM

35,508 posts, read 17,765,818 times

Advertisements

I don't know if it's true that more young adults fail to launch out of higher socioeconomic strata. But if it IS true, the cause seems obvious. Because there's no way they could afford a really nice house like that on their own and they really like living in a great neighborhood and a great house.

With parents who are in lower economic homes, the adult kids can replace that experience on a young adult salary themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 10:04 PM

371 posts, read 286,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Does it have to do with working-class parents genuinely having less ability to afford keeping kids around too long, or is it just a fervent desire on their part to make sure their kids have the resources to be self-sufficient, or is it just an issue of differing values?
I would think working class parents would want their children around longer to help pay rent.

Either way, until they are married, no reason to leave the nest.

Old 04-04-2018, 10:05 PM

371 posts, read 286,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
I use to work for the very successful black man, when his kids grew up and mature into working members, he would add on to his house, with another wing. so it was like five large houses connected by walkways. He told me once, so when he retired the family would still run the company and take care of him. It was his retirement plan to have the whole clan in his household. Must of been 45 people in that house. Like a family complex / commune
cool!

Old 04-04-2018, 10:48 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,409,489 times
I highly doubt that is true, it seems like lower income people are more likely to live with their parents until they're in they're 30s or later.

Old 04-05-2018, 08:45 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,239,939 times
Almost all the upper income people that I know end up having their kids leave for school. I don't know any lower income people that do that.

These same upper income people have kids that when they complete their degrees go on to find work and are able to move into their own places.

Most of the lower income people have kids that end up with lower income jobs. These jobs are not the kind that will allow these kids to move out. My wife's sister raised two kids in poverty. They live in housing. The sad part is her oldest she would spend very little time with him. He became very independent. He would get his advice from my wife, even over his mom he respected my wife's opinion. He went on to work at a McDonalds and on the advice from us, his manager, and his girl friend he went on to get his AS degree, then him and his girl friend transferred to a university. They graduated from there some years back and are both in solid careers now. I think his success comes from not having his mom as a mentor.

My sister in laws daughter on the other hand? She works at the same McDonalds her brother worked at. She has no motivation to go on to school. Dropped out of high school because she wanted to get a job. Will not go on to complete her education. Does not drive, although she could not afford a car anyway. She will not take advice from my wife, me or anyone else. Her friends are all low income. She associates with others that are in the same position that she is in.

Old 04-05-2018, 11:09 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,516,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Does it have to do with working-class parents genuinely having less ability to afford keeping kids around too long, or is it just a fervent desire on their part to make sure their kids have the resources to be self-sufficient, or is it just an issue of differing values?
I don't think the facts support what you are presuming to be true. For a start, the more highly educated (eg college vs high school) and the higher paid children (higher socioeconomic status) are more likely to live independently than at home with parents:

More young adults are living at home, and for longer stretches | Pew Research Center

Old 04-05-2018, 12:35 PM

2,606 posts, read 2,692,775 times
Quote:
I use to work for the very successful black man, when his kids grew up and mature into working members, he would add on to his house, with another wing. so it was like five large houses connected by walkways. He told me once, so when he retired the family would still run the company and take care of him. It was his retirement plan to have the whole clan in his household. Must of been 45 people in that house. Like a family complex / commune
This is how they did it in old country, extend the existing house so the whole clan was together. Even after living in USA for 20+ years I hear people from my background complain how they can't simply extend house in Midwest as they can back home. I say Midwest because the cold makes it even more difficult to just add a room.

I never understood why some young adults had hard time living with in their means. I grew up low income so my taste and desirers were easily manageable. I never cared for brand new car or fancy cell phones, so it surprise me when people my age with half my income NEEDed better things in life even if they can't afford it. Until my own lifestyle became expansive & I realize if someone grew up with certain standard that are expensive, it will be very difficult for them to adjust to cheaper lifestyle.

ex. I didn't think 2x about getting an old/used car. But if someone grew up in a family where they never kept car longer than 5 years, they will wonder if its safe to have 5+ year older car. I had a friend ask me that question while I never brought a car that was newer than 5 years.

Old 04-05-2018, 02:24 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,299,935 times
I was a bit better off than my cousins growing up - I moved out as soon as I could after graduating college. They lived at home with their parents for several years. I went to school with people who were way better off than I was - I don't know anyone who lived with their parents after graduating college. It's hard to get a start when you're young, especially if you don't have that college degree to get your foot in the door. Vo-tech will land you a good job, but that stuff doesn't always pay well right off the bat.

Old 04-05-2018, 02:46 PM

24,371 posts, read 9,240,450 times
As a black guy who grew up in San Antonio around a majority of Hispanics, I can tell you the large majority of these people still live in San Antonio or the house they grew up in. So I would definitely like to see stats back up the OP.

But as already stated, there's numerous reasons why adult children would love to stay and mooch off their parents. P. Diddy, one of the richest black people in America lives in a mansion with his family/adult kids, obviously it's easier for his kids to stay there than to live on their own and actually work for a living.

I've met people who have "rich parents" and they live with them. They know they don't have the skills to live by themselves and maintain that same standard of living. Not every offspring to a rich person will be successful early on their own. Kind of like The Sopranos, the daughter left for college and the son was a spoiled brat too lazy to leave anywhere.

But in general, it's lower income folks who have mastered the art of adult children living. I can tell you a lot of African Americans are living in the same house their grandmother bought.

Old 04-05-2018, 03:02 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,364,617 times
Quote:
I know someone who did that too, but she was a white woman.

One of my daughters never really lived at home after she graduated from HS. She did "stay" with us the three summers of college, but even though she went to grad school close enough to live at home, she had an apt. The other daughter graduated with no money saved and no plans, so she lived with us for a year till she had enough money to rent an apt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting