U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 06:18 PM

25 posts, read 14,898 times

Advertisements

Thanks, All. I appreciate the insights!

The dog is crate trained well, can be gated off to one room, and knows basic commands. She's about a year old and full grown at 20 pounds. Also, she loves kids and is good around them, but she hasn't been around new borns. I've thought about getting a package of one on one training sessions with a trainer just to make sure commands are solidified (She struggles with stay sometimes, other times she's great with stay). She does need walks and being taken out to potty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2018, 08:17 AM

6,769 posts, read 2,629,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky2224 View Post

The dog is crate trained well, can be gated off to one room, and knows basic commands. She's about a year old and full grown at 20 pounds. Also, she loves kids and is good around them, but she hasn't been around new borns. I've thought about getting a package of one on one training sessions with a trainer just to make sure commands are solidified (She struggles with stay sometimes, other times she's great with stay). She does need walks and being taken out to potty.
Some dogs just "get it". I had a jack russell terrier mix, and when I brought my first baby home, that dog just readjusted his own position in the "pack" down one space, and was very careful when he jumped up on the couch to never land on the baby, or when his toy accidentally landed on the baby's floor quilt he sat at the edge of the quilt and looked to me for permission to get on the quilt where the baby was and retrieve his toy.

I don't think your dog will need a whole lot of commands - a calm demeanor and an understanding that the baby is a little human to be loved and respected are kind of what's more important.

Old 04-06-2018, 08:48 AM

596 posts, read 738,877 times
I'm so glad you are asking this question. I had a basset hound when my son was born. I was so enraptured by the baby, that I apparently neglected my dog. She developed glaucoma. I didn't notice when it was just in one eye. I took her to the vet when she started bumping into walls. By then, it was too late to help her.

I wish I had worked harder to establish the balance you are looking for. This was over 20 years ago and it still haunts me.

Old 04-06-2018, 02:19 PM

5,024 posts, read 4,835,146 times
Wag app.

Old 04-06-2018, 04:29 PM

770 posts, read 564,770 times
Quote:
Hi! Single parents out there... Do you have any advice on how to balance taking care of a new born baby and your dog?
Yes, get rid of the dog. the dog should never have attention while a newborn is on the back burner

Old 04-06-2018, 06:07 PM

6,455 posts, read 9,512,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 191185 View Post
Yes, get rid of the dog. the dog should never have attention while a newborn is on the back burner
Ignore this.

Old 04-06-2018, 06:37 PM
Status: "Pit bulls have killed 22 people this year. BSL NOW!" (set 1 day ago)

1,150 posts, read 326,779 times
Quote:
Your comment doesn’t even make sense.

Old 04-07-2018, 02:17 AM

10,383 posts, read 2,821,197 times
Quote:
I hope you never own a pet. They are not disposable.

Old 04-07-2018, 02:24 AM

10,383 posts, read 2,821,197 times
Quote:

The trainer sounds like a good idea, for both of you (trainers train the owners as much as the dogs!)

I'm sure you probably already know this, but as your baby grows, be sure to teach him or her how to interact with a dog - be gentle, don't put your face in the dog's face, know when the dog wants to be left alone, things like that. Things kids just naturally want to do can be perceived as threatening by a dog, particularly a smallish one.

Old 04-07-2018, 07:58 AM

21,008 posts, read 25,794,422 times
I thought of something else. Clip the dog's toenails once a week so they are always blunt. If you don't know how, get someone to show you how.

If both you and the dog are trained for toenail clipping, it takes no more than a minute, it is stress-free, and will help to prevent accidental scratches.

You can also use a Drexel tool to keep nails short, if you don't want to use nail clippers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or