U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 10:37 PM

10,390 posts, read 2,823,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky2224 View Post
It's great to hear your story about your Labrador.

Yes, I did consider future kids when I got my dog. This possibility was a major factor in choosing a breed and breeder. (Please don't judge me for getting a dog from a breeder. I considered the humane society and visited a couple dogs there to possibly adopt. I think it's wonderful to adopt from the humane society and other rescues, but many (not all) of the dogs there are not ideal around babies.). The breeder I got my dog from has young kids who play with the dogs and they do a great job of socializing the puppies. Also, I got my dog into training classes after I got her. She since been around kids and toddlers at my place, and she does great. A couple weeks ago, my niece and nephew stayed with me for part of their Spring Break. Like I mentioned earlier, she can struggle with "stay", so I'm working on it... I'm walking into other rooms with treats and telling her to stay and rewarding when she does. I think she'll get there. Yesterday, as we were on a walk, a family walked out of a neighbor's carrying a baby in his/her carrier and with a toddler. I told my dog to sit and stay as they crossed our path. She stayed very well. Also, I have a dog walker come now, every weekday while I'm at work. They are 2 sweet, retired ladies who alternate days, and they can continue to come when I have the baby. (I think they'll be excited to hear the news.). Another thing... I'm only 8 weeks along. I think I have plenty of time to get my dog ready.

All these factors to say... It's my boyfriend who thinks I need to get rid of the dog now, and that it will be too big of a struggle to balance both. (I lost my job last September and moved a few states away for a new, better job, so we're not currently in the same place.). It's the biggest fight we've ever had. I'm a little blind sighted because in the past, he's enjoyed hanging out with my dog. One big reason is that his coworker's wife had a dog and ended up getting rid of her dog a couple months after they had their first baby. I'm pretty frustrated in general, because he seems to be on a page where we're going to do everything the way his coworker and coworker's wife did things, and while I appreciate hearing their experiences and tips, I'm not always on the same page. I'm sharing things with my boyfriend that I think would be good principles or good to do to prepare, and his response is, "I don't need to look at that/read that, (his coworker) tells me everything I need to know." So, I guess in general, the dog piece is one part of a larger issue here.
So your boyfriend, with whom you do not live (has he committed to do this before the baby is born?) wants to run the show, including insisting that you get rid of a dog that may be around when he is long gone.

No. Just no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2018, 05:46 PM

27,304 posts, read 15,063,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
So your boyfriend, with whom you do not live (has he committed to do this before the baby is born?) wants to run the show, including insisting that you get rid of a dog that may be around when he is long gone.

No. Just no.
Agree x 1000. Why is he calling the shots at this juncture?

I don't understand people that automatically get rid of their dog when a baby is coming. Like no one ever had a baby and a pet before?

Come on.

It's really not that hard.

Old 04-15-2018, 07:38 AM

1,328 posts, read 703,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoR View Post
Also, if it is a breed famous for killing a human every couple of weeks without warning, provocation, or prior aggression (or a mix thereof), just get rid of it! It isn't worth the risk to your child. Also, remember your child is your child and your dog is your dog; they aren't siblings and the baby comes first. The dog needs its needs met for exercise, food, and attention, but no need to feel guilty if the dog has to take a backseat for awhile.
Ignore this OP.

Old 04-15-2018, 07:42 AM

1,328 posts, read 703,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoR View Post
Your comment doesn’t even make sense.
Funny you say that because it sounds exactly like what you are always posting.

OP, it sounds like you have a great plan. Baby and dog will probably grow up as best friends!

Old 04-15-2018, 08:07 AM

13,021 posts, read 12,464,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
What? What? What? We must run in completely different circles. I'm a mother of two, grandmother of two with dozens and dozens of friends & relatives who have had children and I have never heard any new mother say that they were "bored out of their minds" during the first few weeks after having a baby. Too exhausted to take a shower, yes. Too busy to eat, yes. Too tired to get dressed, yes. No time to run errands, do laundry, buy groceries, yes. But, never so "bored" that they needed to find a hobby like training a dog. And, these were all two parent households. I would imagine that it would be much more exhausting and stressful for a single parent of a newborn.

Back to the regular thread.
I've heard it from more than one person with their first baby. Commonalities were that they normally worked high-stress/high-drama full-time jobs, the babies were heavy sleepers, and both parents were neat freaks so everything was clean all the time. So not exactly typical. But if there's down time, yeah, that's a few moments to steal with the dog.

Old 04-15-2018, 03:23 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,239,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I've heard it from more than one person with their first baby. Commonalities were that they normally worked high-stress/high-drama full-time jobs, the babies were heavy sleepers, and both parents were neat freaks so everything was clean all the time. So not exactly typical. But if there's down time, yeah, that's a few moments to steal with the dog.
I have this super unusual set of circumstances from which I will offer an opinion that is likely to be of help to next to no one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or