U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 10:52 AM

748 posts, read 201,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whymee View Post
I can't stand the things, yet without talking to me my husband when he was out with our daughter got a mouse and everything needed to take care of it. My husband and our 12 year old daughter went out and stopped at a pet shop and came home with a mouse! Our daughter is really excited but I am not at all as I am sure you can tell.

Call me sexist but I wouldn't have a problem with her being stereotypically adverse to it. When I talked to my husband and he just says it really didn't cost much and our daughter wanted one.

It's setup in her room but just having it in the house bothers me!
I would be pretty ticked off! Your husband should have discussed that with you and you both should have agreed. That said, the thing probably won't even still be around in 6 months. Just wait it out. It will either escape and never be seen again. It will die. Or she will grow tired of it and you can suggest "setting it free" in the park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 11:06 AM

11,253 posts, read 2,197,632 times
[quote=Kibbiekat;51525006]Meh. If this is your biggest problem with your 12 year old, be thankful.

Yes!

My brother had a pet white mouse that caused no issues at all and in fact was darn cute....

Old 04-05-2018, 11:49 AM

12,158 posts, read 6,397,183 times
What's the big deal? It IS in a cage - it's not even a typical house mouse - more like a lab mouse, right?

You should never even have to see it. If your daughter at the age of 12 can't take care of it then she doesn't get to keep it - that's the whole point is to teach her responsibility, right?

And she should be doing 95% of cleaning her room by now too - so you have little reason to even go in and catch a glimpse.

Calm down!

Old 04-05-2018, 12:26 PM

9,110 posts, read 12,904,883 times
it could have been a tarantula (my daughter likes spiders)

Old 04-05-2018, 12:41 PM

20,316 posts, read 24,356,191 times
Just a generalization, not a criticism of you personally, but it is beyond ridiculous to be afraid of mice. They weigh a fraction of an ounce, are terrified of people, and are completely incapable of harming a human.

I suspect that women who scream and jump up onto chairs do that because they learned that behavior from their mothers and somewhere got the unfounded idea that it is "feminine " to shriek when they see a mouse.

At least your daughter is going to grow up sane about rodents.

I agree with everyone who said that rats make better pets. Rats are affectionate, get really attached to their person, and they can learn tricks. They are kinda like 5 ounce dogs.

Old 04-05-2018, 01:07 PM

8,254 posts, read 8,257,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Just a generalization, not a criticism of you personally, but it is beyond ridiculous to be afraid of mice. They weigh a fraction of an ounce, are terrified of people, and are completely incapable of harming a human.

I agree. Nobody freaks out about a squirrel or chipmunk, but terrified about a little mouse? I never understood that.

The pet store mice also usually don't make it a year due to all the inbreeding that they are put through as the mice/rats are usually bred as food for other pets. Their genetics are flawed and if you look at them funny they develop a respiratory infection and die within hours. If you get 6 months, I'd be surprised.

Old 04-05-2018, 01:36 PM

3,189 posts, read 1,064,927 times
If OP says she can't stand the things, then...she can't stand the things. I'd feel the same way, if someone brought home a spider for a pet. My husband and son tease me from time to time about bringing home a tarantula some day.

IF someone brings a tarantula into my house, they better keep it out of my sight. That's all I've got to say on THAT. If it would ever get loose in my house, someone is moving out. I'm not sure who.

Old 04-05-2018, 01:45 PM

19,241 posts, read 19,921,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

I suspect that women who scream and jump up onto chairs do that because they learned that behavior from their mothers and somewhere got the unfounded idea that it is "feminine " to shriek when they see a mouse.

At least your daughter is going to grow up sane about rodents.

I agree with everyone who said that rats make better pets. Rats are affectionate, get really attached to their person, and they can learn tricks. They are kinda like 5 ounce dogs.
I thought women only did that on cartoons.
People have different phobias. I was in school with a girl that was afraid of mice. In our biology lab practical we had to pick up a mouse and determine the sex of a mouse. She was terrified and couldn't do it.

Old 04-05-2018, 02:20 PM

23,901 posts, read 57,950,908 times
You should get a snake for a pet. Problem solved.

Old 04-05-2018, 02:27 PM

2,321 posts, read 976,727 times
One of my favorite memories is of my pet mouse Snowball that my dad got me when I was 5. She was a treasured pet, (I once forgot to take her out of my shirt pocket and she spent the night with me - I found her in the morning when I woke up) she went every where with me when, riding on my shoulder. I loved that mouse.

My mom did not enjoy pets( and certainly hated mice), but I am sure glad she put up with it for my sake....

Poor little Snowball only lasted a couple years (our dog munched on her one day).... but she was a dear little pet and, my first one....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or