U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 07:08 AM

3,934 posts, read 1,327,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whymee View Post
Yeah I get what you all are saying. Just really creeped out about it. I have told my daughter I don't want her bringing it out and it is her responsibility.

I feel you.

Just because every other poster DOESN'T have a distaste for the things, doesn't discount the fact that you do. Everyone telling you "that's silly" STILL doesn't discount the fact that you hate them. Like I said, I'm the same way about spiders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2018, 07:20 AM

10,565 posts, read 3,201,726 times
She’s 12 and old enough to take care of it herself! Be glad it’s not a dog that you have to walk constantly! Tell her to keep it in her room. I don’t see this as being a big deal!

Old 04-06-2018, 07:36 AM

19,849 posts, read 20,316,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
One of my favorite memories is of my pet mouse Snowball that my dad got me when I was 5. She was a treasured pet, (I once forgot to take her out of my shirt pocket and she spent the night with me - I found her in the morning when I woke up) she went every where with me when, riding on my shoulder. I loved that mouse.

My mom did not enjoy pets( and certainly hated mice), but I am sure glad she put up with it for my sake....

Poor little Snowball only lasted a couple years (our dog munched on her one day).... but she was a dear little pet and, my first one....
Your story reminds me of the pet mouse my son had when he was 5 or 6. He held in out in the palm of his hand to show it to our dog, right up against her snout. She had that mouse in her mouth going down her throat in half a second. My son began wailing and I had to reach down and pull the mouse out by the tail. We were all traumatized.

Old 04-06-2018, 07:43 AM

19,849 posts, read 20,316,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I feel you.

Just because every other poster DOESN'T have a distaste for the things, doesn't discount the fact that you do. Everyone telling you "that's silly" STILL doesn't discount the fact that you hate them. Like I said, I'm the same way about spiders.
I certainly don't discount her distaste or fear of mice. I'm not a fan of snakes or tarantulas and hated it when my sons would catch a snake and bring it home (especially when they escaped) but I'd get out the old aquarium for them to keep it in. I think part of parenting is supporting your kids interests even when they freak you out.

Old 04-06-2018, 08:04 AM

1,168 posts, read 715,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whymee View Post
I can't stand the things, yet without talking to me my husband when he was out with our daughter got a mouse and everything needed to take care of it. My husband and our 12 year old daughter went out and stopped at a pet shop and came home with a mouse! Our daughter is really excited but I am not at all as I am sure you can tell.

Call me sexist but I wouldn't have a problem with her being stereotypically adverse to it. When I talked to my husband and he just says it really didn't cost much and our daughter wanted one.

It's setup in her room but just having it in the house bothers me!
Hahahhaha. I had mice for pets as a kid (girl). I have no idea why I preferred them, especially because we had cats in the house.

Oh my poor mother. I'll ask her about it. I totally forgot about it until this thread.

Old 04-06-2018, 08:13 AM

6,152 posts, read 2,394,710 times
We had all the rodents - mice, hamsters, gerbils, guinea pigs, and rats. The rats were the best.

But I'd rank mice second best. They're agile and smart and cute as the day is long. Especially if you get a couple of them (same gender) and they build stuff together and figure out mazes. She can put a variety of empty boxes, cans, cardboard tubes in the cage and watch the mice climb around on them to get to treats.

Rats can be trained to follow you around or come when called.

My husband is allergic to rats or we'd have some now. All the fun of a dog and almost none of the work.

Old 04-06-2018, 08:50 AM

1,316 posts, read 460,905 times
People in cities go to extreme measures ridding their abodes of mice, and here you bring one into your house as a pet. SMH

Old 04-06-2018, 08:54 AM

6,152 posts, read 2,394,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
People in cities go to extreme measures ridding their abodes of mice, and here you bring one into your house as a pet. SMH
Failure of the imagination, joee5. People also go to all manner of trouble to rid buildings of graffiti, and then some parks are purposely "for" graffiti - and they look great and are an expression of art and joy.

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en...BQsQoioIhAEwCg

Old 04-06-2018, 09:29 AM

4,885 posts, read 2,504,105 times
Sorry OP--I get you.

I used to tell my sons, "rodents of any kind" will not be permitted as pets in this house. When you grown up and have a home of your own--do what you want. Besides the creep factor--they are just pooping machines. I have no time for constantly cleaning a cage, nor time to remind someone to do it.

Old 04-06-2018, 09:51 AM
Status: "17 pit bull deaths this year; 8 since Memorial Day." (set 15 days ago)

1,144 posts, read 304,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
Sorry OP--I get you.

I used to tell my sons, "rodents of any kind" will not be permitted as pets in this house. When you grown up and have a home of your own--do what you want. Besides the creep factor--they are just pooping machines. I have no time for constantly cleaning a cage, nor time to remind someone to do it.
My rule was no mice (hamsters and guinea pigs were ok), absolutely NO REPTILES and no cats!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or