U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 12:38 PM

1 posts, read 447 times

Advertisements

My daughter is 2 years and 7 months old. Up until last month, she went to daycare during the day while both my wife and I worked full time. While in daycare, she had no trouble with naps. Their napping setup there was individual cots for all the kids, who slept in a communal room with the lights dimmed. In all her time there, she never had any problems with napping, regularly sleeping over two hours. She also napped just fine on weekends at home with us.

However, ever since my wife started maternity leave last month (the new baby isn't here yet, she just has a physically strenuous job that she can't do while 8 months pregnant) our daughter has been very resistant to naps. My wife will easily spend over an hour every day repeatedly putting her back into bed. My daughter's recurring complaint is that "it's not dark out." We have black out curtains in her room which block all the light from outside, except for a small sliver that sneaks in the gap between the curtain and the wall. We also have a white noise machine, and we've used this setup since she was an infant.

The odd part is that, once she finally does get to sleep, she'll easily sleep for two to three hours. We've considered weaning her off of afternoon naps, but we're not sure that she's really ready to give up naps based on how long she eventually sleeps, and also we think that we're [i]really[i] going to want her to be taking naps once the new baby is here.

We'd really love any advice you could offer on how to make her more comfortable with going down for naps, or if you really think maybe we should start weaning her. And if you need any more information, please don't hesitate to ask

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2018, 12:46 PM

35,748 posts, read 34,386,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAPPLEBY811 View Post
We've considered weaning her off of afternoon naps..., but we're not sure that she's really ready to give up naps based on how long she eventually sleeps, and also we think that we're [i]really[i] going to want her to be taking naps once the new baby is here.
There comes a time in every toddler's life when the nap is more for the parents than the kid. You may be facing that time, right when your new baby is arriving.

Don't panic. But understand that you cannot force her to go down for a nap, and you will stress the both of you out if you try.

You CAN establish "quiet time," where she may not have to go to sleep but she has to stay in her room doing quiet things. She should be able to obey that rule at her age, and it can be combined with the baby's arrival by stressing to her that "we all need to have quiet time ...."

You also could be sure that her mornings are very physical, but there is still no guarantee that she will go down. It's tempting to let her nap for 3 hours because it is convenient for you, but I wouldn't keep doing that. Shorten the naps and keep her busy, and you should settle into a routine when the baby comes.

Old 04-06-2018, 12:49 PM

227 posts, read 62,012 times
I would cycle with our son to get the energy out then he took his daily bath right after... for relaxation.

Back then I had a home business so wanted a set amount of time to make phone calls

Usually junk food /treats were not given in the morning or afternoon to ensure it wouldn't hinder a nap

Diet & exercise play the largest roles in sleep, JMHO

Old 04-06-2018, 01:27 PM

14,982 posts, read 16,042,621 times
Age 2.5 to 3 is when many children give up their naps. I would start getting her used to a quiet time - looking at books in her bed or playing with stuffed animals quietly. Start the reading routine as well for both bedtime and naptime. I would not let her sleep longer than 2 hours especially if she falls asleep late.

I would keep her mornings active - playing at the park or outside in the yard if possible. Generally, a calm lunch time and then quiet time for 2 hours may work.

Old 04-06-2018, 01:29 PM

1,879 posts, read 943,571 times
Wasn't much past 2 when my daughter stopped naps. She slept 12 hours straight until 4 so didn't need one. Once she hit 4 she started sleeping 10 to 11 hours.

Old 04-06-2018, 01:45 PM

544 posts, read 128,904 times
Is she getting plenty of fresh air and exercise in the morning to tire her out? She may just be getting to the point she is outgrowing naps. You cannot make a child fall asleep but at 2 1/2, she should understand that she cannot get out of her bed. When I needed the quiet time from them and they didn't nap, I told them they had to stay in their room, on their bed, on the sofa, or wherever until the timer went off. I'd set the timer and they were allowed to listen to music on headphones (had some little children's cds I would put on for them) or look at books, but they had to stay on the bed and they had to be quiet. If they did fall asleep, I'd take the timer out and turn it off!!! More often than not, they'd end up dozing off. My kids were outside a lot and usually ready for a rest by early afternoon.

Old 04-06-2018, 02:18 PM

4,578 posts, read 4,393,085 times
Kids stop napping at different points. As long as she's not a lunatic because of no nap and is sleeping ok at night, then it is what it is. Quiet time works sometimes in lieu of a nap.

best of luck

Old 04-06-2018, 03:31 PM

4,780 posts, read 5,869,758 times
I am willing to bet that it has everything to do with the fact that your daughter had much more of a regular routine at daycare than she does at home. I have found that daycare providers and preschool teachers are much more consistent with schedules, expectations, consequences, etc. than parents, which usually translates to different behaviors. If your daughter found it too light, too hot, too whatever at school, she knew that there was nothing that would be done about it (probably because there was nothing that could be done), so there was no point in her trying to fight it. She knows that's not the case now.

I would suggest finding a schedule that works and sticking to it. Once she falls into the new routine, she will probably go back to going down for a nap with no problem.

Old 04-06-2018, 03:38 PM

35,748 posts, read 34,386,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
I am willing to bet that it has everything to do with the fact that your daughter had much more of a regular routine at daycare than she does at home. I have found that daycare providers and preschool teachers are much more consistent with schedules, expectations, consequences, etc. than parents, which usually translates to different behaviors. If your daughter found it too light, too hot, too whatever at school, she knew that there was nothing that would be done about it (probably because there was nothing that could be done), so there was no point in her trying to fight it. She knows that's not the case now.
Great point

Old 04-06-2018, 03:43 PM

2,570 posts, read 829,075 times
It might be that your toddler is enjoying having mommy at home, and wants to spend as much time with her as possible. Maybe your wife could lay down WITH her until she drifts off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or