U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 11:01 AM
Status: "Today's special: filet of incel. Limited time offer." (set 1 day ago)

9,121 posts, read 2,310,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
The ticket example IS cheating and taking advantage. It's not the same thing.

So .... if you bought a Waterford crystal vase at a store for $100, and when you went to return it they said, "This vase is currently selling at $50, and that is all we will give you..." you would be fine with that?

If a friend broke a $100 crystal plate at your home and offered you $50 because that's the price she saw for one on eBay, that would be OK?

It's about the price you paid, not your friend's perceived value of your item. They pay for the replacement value because their actions kept you from using the item. How you use that money is totally up to you.
What if they just gave you a new plate, identical to the one they broke? Would you ask what they paid for it and demand the difference if they got it on sale?

In any case, your examples are flawed, because the friend's family DID pay the full price. A better example would be, if a friend broke your vase and gave you the amount you paid for it, then you found it on sale, would you pocket the difference, or just get yourself a new vase at the reduced price and give the rest of the money back to your friend because...well, you know...they're your friend?

I don't know a lot about skateboards, but it sounds like the part that was broken was the deck. I asked if any parts were still usable for a reason. If they were, the best solution would have been to use them, and replace only the broken part.

I won't go so far as to say that the boy is stealing, but he is taking advantage of a friend who's trying to do the right thing. From a strictly legalistic point of view, I suppose it's defensible...but it isn't very nice.

Actually, I have another thought to add to all of this:

Who paid for the skateboard in the first place? If it was the kid, with his own money, that's one thing. If his parents bought it, the friend's parents are actually reimbursing THEM, and they should be the ones to decide what's appropriate, in terms of repayment. It may seem nitpicky, but I think it's an important distinction.

Last edited by Catgirl64; 04-07-2018 at 11:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2018, 11:38 AM

3,852 posts, read 3,176,893 times
Whoa. This is how your son treats his friend? Your son is no friend.

The friend & his parents behaved honorably, your son did not. Who needs friends like your son?

Good additional point made above about who paid for the original board & who should decide adequacy of reimbursement.

Last edited by historyfan; 04-07-2018 at 11:41 AM.. Reason: additional comment

Old 04-07-2018, 12:03 PM

9,001 posts, read 7,261,426 times
I'd have my kid return the unused money.

There is a difference between what an insurance company would do. Returning the money is the right thing to do. He should not profit from a friend's misfortune.

Old 04-07-2018, 12:29 PM
Status: "Today's special: filet of incel. Limited time offer." (set 1 day ago)

9,121 posts, read 2,310,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
I'd have my kid return the unused money.

There is a difference between what an insurance company would do. Returning the money is the right thing to do. He should not profit from a friend's misfortune.
This makes me wonder about yet another question. Would the OP's son feel differently about the situation if he discovered that the friend was being made to repay his own parents for the money he received to replace the board? It's a possibility.

Old 04-07-2018, 12:37 PM

4,838 posts, read 3,390,139 times
If he can get the board fixed or parts replaced for less than the initial cost and the board is as good as new, then I say he should give the remainder of the money back to the other kid's parents.

Old 04-07-2018, 12:40 PM

4,083 posts, read 2,479,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atina333 View Post
My son's friend broke his skateboard and the kid's parents graciously paid the full cost of the board which was only a few months old. Total of $170.

Took my son shopping for a replacement board today and he only bought part of it (cost of $70) claiming that he's going to get the wheels, etc from a friend for free. Therefore he's pocketing the remaining $100.

I say that's wrong but he says it's up to him how he replaces the board. I see what he's saying but I'm still torn.

Thoughts?
That your sons friends parents know right and how to act with class. You son knows how to save. Good for YOU teaching him the value of a dollar...Or 100.

MY mother loaned out our chainsaw to a co-worker, he then loaned it to his father and it got stolen. They never offered to replace it. Then he later wanted to borrow another item and I told her "It's not working right now" 3 times I repeated it over several months and he got the hint "You're never getting anything again you jerk"

Old 04-07-2018, 12:44 PM

573 posts, read 942,421 times
I would insist my son pay something to kid #2 for the used wheels and give back the balance to the parents of Kid #1. Everybody wins.

Old 04-07-2018, 01:58 PM

15 posts, read 10,273 times
OP here to answer some of your questions.

The board fell onto a train track(!) and was not able to be retrieved. Therefore no wheels to salvage.

I'm thinking he should refund them any overage but my son, a great debater, has made some valid points. Basically, he sees it as they're paying him for what he lost and how he decides to spend it is up to him; I see it as they're paying for the replacement.

I wish I’d done as Maliblue suggested, replace the board and then go to the family with the receipt. Lesson learned.

Someone asked who paid for the original board and said whoever did should decide what to do. My son paid for it and he made that very point, that it’s his decision. I told him to think long and hard about this and consider how he’d feel if shoe were on the other foot.

(Interestingly enough, I realized that if I had to pay for something I broke, I'll pay the full value and not worry about how it was spent. If I was receiving money for something someone broke, I'd refund the overage).

Last edited by atina333; 04-07-2018 at 02:13 PM.. Reason: added something

Old 04-07-2018, 02:26 PM

5,396 posts, read 6,237,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atina333 View Post
OP here to answer some of your questions.

The board fell onto a train track(!) and was not able to be retrieved. Therefore no wheels to salvage.

I'm thinking he should refund them any overage but my son, a great debater, has made some valid points. Basically, he sees it as they're paying him for what he lost and how he decides to spend it is up to him; I see it as they're paying for the replacement.

I wish I’d done as Maliblue suggested, replace the board and then go to the family with the receipt. Lesson learned.

Someone asked who paid for the original board and said whoever did should decide what to do. My son paid for it and he made that very point, that it’s his decision. I told him to think long and hard about this and consider how he’d feel if shoe were on the other foot.
These are two entirely separate transactions.

Your son was deprived of [the use of] his skateboard, the other kid's parents paid for that loss. That transaction is done and settled, as it should have been.

What your son now does with the money is an entirely different transaction. Suppose he were to decide that he no longer wanted to skateboard? Should he have to give the money back? Of course not, whether or not he wants to continue to skateboard is irrelevant, he was deprived of his property through the fault of another and was then 'made whole'. Whether he chooses to continue to skateboard, or not, he deserved restitution for the loss of his property. What he does with the money is an entirely different matter that has no relation to the action of his being 'made whole' for the loss of his property.

If he chooses not to continue skateboarding at all, he still deserves to have that restitution for the loss of his property and is entitled to keep the money. If he chooses to replace his property at a lower cost, then he is still entitled to keep what money remains. The restitution being paid does not obligate him to spend the entire sum on obtaining a replacement, the one has no bearing on the other.

Old 04-07-2018, 02:40 PM

36,891 posts, read 35,640,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
These are two entirely separate transactions.

Your son was deprived of [the use of] his skateboard, the other kid's parents paid for that loss. That transaction is done and settled, as it should have been.

What your son now does with the money is an entirely different transaction.
Yep
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or