U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 08:11 PM

511 posts, read 228,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
LOL so YOU get to keep the rest???

How is that ethical?
I'm not keeping anything. He returned the $100.

The money I reward him is out of my own pocket.

If they let him keep the money, then he keeps it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2018, 08:28 PM

36,911 posts, read 35,657,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliblue View Post
My thought is that this is a perfect opportunity to teach him something about ethics, and we really could use more ethical people in the world.

I might tell him that he handled his finances shrewdly. However, I'd point out that ethically, he shouldn't take advantage of other people's generosity.

Quote:

Meh, all that lecturing and "rewarding" is just a lot of sanctimony that makes a simple situation overly difficult.

He wouldn't be "taking advantage of their generosity." You're adding a layer of unnecessary guilt to this situation. The friend's family already presented to the son a great example of ethics in action. Their son broke something of his, and without being prompted they made it right. End of story.

All the OP's hand-wringing over the cost is unnecessary.

Old 04-07-2018, 08:56 PM

581 posts, read 451,334 times
Say that my friend lent me her pearls to wear for a party. Then, say that I lost her pearls. I would pay her for what she paid. Whether or not she decides to buy another necklace OR buy a cheaper pair is NONE of my business. And I would not care one bit if she just pocketed the money. My payment is for the loss only and nothing else.

I think it would be different if the skateboard was not a total loss and he was able to just replace the wheels and pocket the rest. Then the friend should just pay for repair.

You son should keep the money guilt free. He sounds quite money smart to me!

Old 04-07-2018, 09:12 PM

12,774 posts, read 19,237,460 times
I also agree the son has no obligation to return the money. The destroyed skateboard was $170, and the other family paid that debt in full. What happens to the money at this point is up to your son. He may not like the offered wheels and want to upgrade them at some point, or the other friend may renege on his offer of them. And since your son paid for the first board himself, it should be his decision what to do with the money now.

Old 04-08-2018, 01:56 AM

15,580 posts, read 17,756,135 times
Quote:
My thought is that this is a perfect opportunity to teach him something about ethics, and we really could use more ethical people in the world.

Regardless of whether or not he profited from the transaction, the $100 was not intended as a bonus; it was supposed to go for a board. I'd point out that often the way such transactions occur in the real world is that he would spend the money first, and then go to the kid's parents with the receipt. In this case, the parents were generous and trusted the money was only for the board.

I think that if he were encouraged to return the balance in the spirit in which it was offered, the parents would be very impressed with his character. I'm willing to bet that they even tell him it's okay, he can keep it. If they do, then he can keep it. However, they are not obligated to do so, so he should go there with the intent of returning it and not expecting to get it back.

If he did this with a positive attitude, I'd reward him afterwards with some spending money (not the full $100 because I wouldn't want him to feel entitled to that sum) Since I am a softy, I'd probably make up the difference by taking him to his favorite restaurant or something.

I might tell him that he handled his finances shrewdly. However, I'd point out that ethically, he shouldn't take advantage of other people's generosity.
It's all good. Leave the kid alone....

Old 04-08-2018, 11:46 AM

9,810 posts, read 6,947,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I stated what I would do if it were my child.
You obviously can do what you wish with your child.
I personally would choose to do as I stated and in my opinion, if something other than what I stated is done it is stealing.
The OP did state the *new out of pocket cost* which is $170.00 and the OP also stated the money given was given specifically to *replace* the broken skateboard.
Yes, it's money to replace the skateboard. Not money to use for something else. Parent-to-parent transactions make more sense to me anyway.

How do you break a skateboard? Run over it?

Old 04-08-2018, 02:02 PM

21,700 posts, read 20,731,045 times
Quote:

I agree. If they reward him for his honesty, all the better.

Old 04-08-2018, 05:40 PM

324 posts, read 77,708 times
Let him keep the money. Geez...they paid for the darn board..he can keep the rest and spend it as he wants. Whats the problem???

Old 04-09-2018, 01:42 PM

1,769 posts, read 2,133,028 times
If someone hits and totals your car, and their insurance pays you $20k to replace it, but you buy a car for $10k, are you going to send the insurance company $10k back? I highly doubt it.

Old 04-09-2018, 02:04 PM

14,682 posts, read 15,519,947 times
I agree with your son. He spent his own $170 on the skateboard and it's his decision to do what he wants with the replacement funds. I don't see anything unethical about it at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or