Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 09:41 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,259,867 times

Advertisements

It’s been for the most part just me and my kid from the start. If it wasn’t for my aunt we would have moved to a beach community a long time ago. Anyway the kid is growing older and is happy here so I’m trapped here for a few more years. I’ve started a calendar count down to when she graduates. She’s extremely smart. There’s no reason for her to not attend and graduate from a good college. Of course I’m encouraging her to go out of state. Here’s my question. If you were in my situation would you move wherever she went to school or just ship her off and see her during the holidays? I’m sure she’ll have her own life and I won’t see her as much as I like either way. Can the college parents give me some advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2018, 09:55 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
All three of mine went away to (different) schools. Not a single one remained in their university town after graduating. Stay, or move to an area YOU want to live in, because chances are your daughter will only be there for four years anyway.

Oh, and let your daughter enjoy her independence.

Old 04-09-2018, 07:27 AM

1,201 posts, read 802,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va83 View Post
It’s been for the most part just me and my kid from the start. If it wasn’t for my aunt we would have moved to a beach community a long time ago. Anyway the kid is growing older and is happy here so I’m trapped here for a few more years. I’ve started a calendar count down to when she graduates. She’s extremely smart. There’s no reason for her to not attend and graduate from a good college. Of course I’m encouraging her to go out of state. Here’s my question. If you were in my situation would you move wherever she went to school or just ship her off and see her during the holidays? I’m sure she’ll have her own life and I won’t see her as much as I like either way. Can the college parents give me some advice?
For the love of god, do not follow your kid to college!!! Let her fly.

Old 04-09-2018, 08:54 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va83 View Post
You phrased the options as if not following her to college is a bad thing. It's not. Do not follow her to college. She'll be busy finding her own way, and may not stay there afterward anyway. It is completely normal for people to go away to college and only come home on holidays. You can visit her. She can visit. But she needs to be allowed to start her own life.

Old 04-09-2018, 09:03 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,606 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Almost no one moves to where their kids are in college, unless the student has concerning problems, or disabilities.

Old 04-09-2018, 09:47 AM

581 posts, read 455,982 times
I've never heard of a parent following their kid to college. Let your daughter go where she wants to go, but I'm sure you're aware it's going to be more expensive to attend school out of state. If that means taking more on in terms of student loans, you might want to reconsider.

Old 04-09-2018, 09:54 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Let your kid have some fun on their own. Also, time for you to start enjoying the next phase of your life as your kid becomes and adult and starts their own life.

Old 04-09-2018, 10:24 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,985,828 times
I would have been pretty pissed if my parents followed me to college. That should definitely not be a consideration. Move to where you want to live, regardless of what your daughter does for school. I didn't stay in my college town, anyway, so if my family had moved there it would have been a waste. If, after graduating college, your daughter moves somewhere and settles down and you like that area, then maybe consider moving at that point. But, I would have a frank discussion with your daughter first. I would definitely not move somewhere with the expectation of seeing her more because there's a chance she won't want that.

Old 04-09-2018, 10:40 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoR View Post
For the love of god, do not follow your kid to college!!! Let her fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
You phrased the options as if not following her to college is a bad thing. It's not. Do not follow her to college. She'll be busy finding her own way, and may not stay there afterward anyway. It is completely normal for people to go away to college and only come home on holidays. You can visit her. She can visit. But she needs to be allowed to start her own life.
Please do not follow her to college. That would be something like expecting to go along with her on her honeymoon and sharing a bedroom with her and her new husband. (Please tell us that you aren't considering that, too).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklesNShine View Post
I've never heard of a parent following their kid to college. Let your daughter go where she wants to go, but I'm sure you're aware it's going to be more expensive to attend school out of state. If that means taking more on in terms of student loans, you might want to reconsider.
Yes, tuition for out-of-state schools can easily increase her student loan debt by $50,000 or more. Can you/she really afford that extra expense?

Old 04-09-2018, 11:02 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Just my .02, as someone that went to school 8 hours away from home. I think there's a sweet spot, around 2-4 hours, for distance from home. Far enough that its inconvenient when the first "challenge" hits you, close enough that its doable if something big happens (death in the family, you get really sick, etc...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting