U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 07:00 PM

7,434 posts, read 8,373,344 times

Advertisements

Your son may not have been upset, but maybe the child he spoke to was. Perhaps that is why the apology was warranted?

Often times, as adults, we apologize to others, even though we didn't immediately think what we said would cause so much hurt/ anger. It really doesn't matter what your intent is; it only matters how someone took it. This is a lesson that is never too early to learn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2018, 07:14 PM

9,498 posts, read 6,629,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Ignorantia juris non excusat or ignorantia legis neminem excusat.

Sounds like you failed to learn a valuable lesson about modern jurisprudence.
Am I the only one who doesn't know what this means? We're all just going to pretend the emporor has new clothes? wait...

Okay, let me try "Ignorance is no excuse" ? Okay if that was it then it wasn't so hard.

I'm kind of with you OP. Punishmentia juris non fit crimini.

Old 04-10-2018, 09:46 PM

3,823 posts, read 1,285,810 times
Sometimes, when we commit a social faux pas, the proper thing to do is apologize. Even if one didn't know what he did was a faux pas.

It really isn't that bad that the teacher made your son apologize. Help your son grow up to a mature person and tell him he should apologize at school if he says something quirky that is not appreciated by someone else. Teachers these days could get fired if they allow kids to mention the word "sex" in the classroom.

Old 04-10-2018, 09:50 PM

3,823 posts, read 1,285,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
It would help your son (and you) if you view his teachers as allies instead of persecutors.
Many teachers leave the profession due to problems with the parents who don't want their child being corrected in any way, shape or form. Parents these days want to believe their child is perfect and no corrections or discipline are ever warranted. Consequently, we have lots of narcissists and sociopaths in our society now. They never learn responsibility towards their community or empathy for others, and believe the entire world revolves around them.

Old 04-10-2018, 10:05 PM

3,481 posts, read 2,653,432 times
He said something rude. He didn't know it was rude, and now he does. It's appropriate to apologize after saying something rude even if it was an accident. I don't see the problem here. He wasn't punished, he was just coached to give a socially acceptable response.

Old 04-11-2018, 01:13 AM

25 posts, read 9,261 times
I have let it go but the way it was handled was not the way i would have done it. Thanks for your thoughts.

Old 04-11-2018, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
He said something rude. He didn't know it was rude, and now he does. It's appropriate to apologize after saying something rude even if it was an accident. I don't see the problem here. He wasn't punished, he was just coached to give a socially acceptable response.
I dont know about rude but it definitely was incorrect. As someone else said other kids could go home and say it and we dont want that. He was made out to appear as though he did something wrong when he was merely reporting what he was told. He didnt do anything on pirpose with bad intensions. A simple "thats not true" and "we dont discuss this at school" would have siffoced without putting hom in a situation of feeling giolty for his innocense and being misinformed. I think he learned from it. Nobody is perfect. They could have handled it the way i would have but they did not. Lord knows i have handled things in the past that i could have done better. I asked for your thoughts, thank you. If anyone has thoughts about if he was a she and possible outcomes, i would be interested to hear your thoughts. That just came to mind so i dont know offhand if i think things would have been handled differently...

Old 04-11-2018, 01:33 AM

I appreciate what youve said regarding allies instead of prosecutors. I wish it was that easy but i raised a daughter alone already and that was hell and a whole other story where i was thrown under the bus undeservingly. Yes, i still carry those wounds and am sensitive towards any potential maltreatment.

Old 04-11-2018, 05:30 AM

3,231 posts, read 2,357,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aboom View Post
My son said "that means sex" when he saw a boy do the "rabbit ears" behind a girls head in class. The teacher overheard and called the counselor. After speaking with him in the hallway he was told to go back in and apologize, which he did.
Sounds like a very bad counsellor or one with bad or no training. Making children say sorry - as in telling them to do it - is a poor approach to counselling or parenting. And anyone with any training should know that. Hell most people I know with zero training know that. You might as well get the child to stand on one foot and sing "wagga wagga" for all the good making them say sorry will do.

Old 04-11-2018, 05:38 AM

857 posts, read 273,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I was with you until this. Look at it from the teacher's point of view. All she needs is one kid going home and making bunny ears to a sibling, and telling her/his parent that it means sex because Aboom's child told her/him so, for the fires to rain down. Yeah, I find the whole reaction a bit over-zealous, but teachers have to be that way it seems.

Let it go.
Exactly.

And then it would be "See? Public schools are such cesspools. Why don't teachers do something about this sort of behavior?!".

As for the silly whining about 'political correctness' these days, do these people really think that sexual gestures would have gone uncorrected in the 'good old days'? The correction would almost certainly have been more memorable than simply explaining to the child that that was not appropriate and requiring an apology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or