U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-11-2018, 01:48 PM
 
Location: Texas
979 posts, read 444,880 times
Reputation: 5234

Advertisements

Obviously, we need to reclaim the meaning of "bunny ears."

Bunny ears wuz bunny ears when I was in the first grade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-11-2018, 02:04 PM
 
1,945 posts, read 1,578,848 times
Reputation: 3857
To me, if they did not just tell him not to say it again, Then they should have taken the Kid that did the rabbit ears out into the hall and tell HIM not to do it again and to apologise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2018, 04:59 PM
 
5,275 posts, read 2,734,159 times
Reputation: 13663
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I don't get it. What should be done to the kid who made the sign? It's a funny, cute thing people do, no harm meant.

And then the boy informed that person of the new/risque connotation to that symbol, out of innocence.

Seems to me the teacher might have just pulled the kid aside and said when kids do it, it's a fun bunny ear thing and it doesn't mean anything else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
To me, if they did not just tell him not to say it again, Then they should have taken the Kid that did the rabbit ears out into the hall and tell HIM not to do it again and to apologise.

This was kind of my point. I'm trying to find what the kid did wrong here that required an apology? That's why my question on what was said/done to the kid who made the sign? This was the more serious offense. Was there equitable justice or just the one kid singled out? We don't know. But a teachable moment was lost and turned into punishment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2018, 10:01 PM
 
Location: Texas
4,768 posts, read 1,677,549 times
Reputation: 10050
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
This was kind of my point. I'm trying to find what the kid did wrong here that required an apology? That's why my question on what was said/done to the kid who made the sign? This was the more serious offense. Was there equitable justice or just the one kid singled out? We don't know. But a teachable moment was lost and turned into punishment.
I don't see the "punishment" here. Telling a child to say "I'm sorry" is not a punishment. Even if it was unfair in some way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2018, 12:39 AM
 
3,244 posts, read 2,408,057 times
Reputation: 3956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
Teaching kids proper sincere apologizing techniques is great emotional and social education too.
This is true but leading a kid down and _telling_ them to say "sorry" is not teaching them proper and sincere techniques. That is what would bother me about the counsellor - and doubt their training - in how the OP described the event.

If as the Controlling Administrator of the school I heard my school counsellor dealt with the situation in that way I would either be sending that counsellor for a retraining - or seeking a new one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2018, 05:49 AM
 
Location: Florida
3,543 posts, read 2,824,986 times
Reputation: 7281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Exactly! The child may have been sat in a corner, or even spanked. Not approving mind you, just sayin'.



How do you know the bold? Maybe the child learned not to say something if he's not sure of the meaning. That'd be a good lesson for a lot of CD posters.
CD posters are not six year olds in school (though some have the mentality of six year olds, but I digress...). Generally, kids should be expected to try to use language even if they are unsure of the meaning of a word. This applies to the native language as well as to a foreign language. They should also volunteer answers even if they are not 100 percent correct. If a child says “my mom cooked lettuce with our corned beef,” would the teacher pull the child out of class and then March him back in and make him apologize? No, she would not. She’d say, “I think you mean cabbage. Cabbage and lettuce look the same but they’re two different vegetables.”

To a small child, the word “sex” is as innocuous as the word “lettuce.” She could have said, “no, it means bunny ears, like Timmy is making Jamie look like a little bunny.” That would have nipped the interest in the word “sex” in the bud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2018, 07:05 AM
 
4,921 posts, read 1,928,446 times
Reputation: 14553
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
CD posters are not six year olds in school (though some have the mentality of six year olds, but I digress...). Generally, kids should be expected to try to use language even if they are unsure of the meaning of a word. This applies to the native language as well as to a foreign language. They should also volunteer answers even if they are not 100 percent correct. If a child says “my mom cooked lettuce with our corned beef,” would the teacher pull the child out of class and then March him back in and make him apologize? No, she would not. She’d say, “I think you mean cabbage. Cabbage and lettuce look the same but they’re two different vegetables.”

To a small child, the word “sex” is as innocuous as the word “lettuce.” She could have said, “no, it means bunny ears, like Timmy is making Jamie look like a little bunny.” That would have nipped the interest in the word “sex” in the bud.
I would have to say most 6 year olds I know have an idea of what "sex" is. They may not have a complete idea, but they know it is something to do with "private parts" and it makes you giggle. They way butt jokes or weiner jokes make 6 year old boys giggle.

I'm just going to say, when the 6 year old in this thread said "that means sex", it's likely he wasn't being purely informative or would have said that in the presence of the teacher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2018, 07:08 AM
 
Location: southern california
54,277 posts, read 71,066,153 times
Reputation: 46218
first Grade has changed it would appear
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2018, 08:07 AM
Status: "Summer's here!" (set 10 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
83,597 posts, read 96,680,654 times
Reputation: 30261
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I would have to say most 6 year olds I know have an idea of what "sex" is. They may not have a complete idea, but they know it is something to do with "private parts" and it makes you giggle. They way butt jokes or weiner jokes make 6 year old boys giggle.

I'm just going to say, when the 6 year old in this thread said "that means sex", it's likely he wasn't being purely informative or would have said that in the presence of the teacher.
I have to agree. It's not quite like equating "sex" with "lettuce". More like with "butt" or "wiener" or "tiddy" or something like that. They know it's considered a little, well, for lack of a better work "dirty".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2018, 08:28 AM
 
Location: Texas
4,768 posts, read 1,677,549 times
Reputation: 10050
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
If as the Controlling Administrator of the school I heard my school counsellor dealt with the situation in that way I would either be sending that counsellor for a retraining - or seeking a new one.
Everyone complains about teachers and school counselors. Every little thing. I can imagine it gets old. And no, I don't work for a school but I sympathize with them. They get lots of complaints from parents almost every day. Many parents cannot accept that their child might be wrong about something, might not be perfect, might need some correction at times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top