Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 12:30 PM

250 posts, read 148,286 times

Advertisements

My son said "that means sex" when he saw a boy do the "rabbit ears" behind a girls head in class. The teacher overheard and called the counselor. After speaking with him in the hallway he was told to go back in and apologize, which he did.

My son said that he learned from a fellow classmate earlier this year that the bunny ears meant "sex" when held behind someone's head . He admittedly did not know anything else associated with the word, thats why he spoke freely about it when saw the gesture.

It was all innocent. He had no clue that he was opening a can of worms. I just found it a bit odd that he had to say he was sorry to the other kids. I would have just told him "that's not something we talk about here so let's not say that anymore okay?"

He's not upset and I'm not upset, I just think that was a weird way to handle it, having him to say "i'm sorry" when he didn't even know what it meant.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2018, 12:35 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times
It sounds like you are upset, and I guess I would be too.

On the other hand, I looked it up on urban dictionary, and apparently he's right.

So the teacher and counselor learned something that day. ;D

Old 04-10-2018, 12:38 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,333,999 times
"Political Correctness" run amuck -- courtesy of the teachers' desire to turn the entire school system into their personal fiefdom.

These are first graders (six-year-olds)!; and we're supposed to let the urban dictionary impose adult(?) standards?

Old 04-10-2018, 01:04 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,699,769 times
Ignorantia juris non excusat or ignorantia legis neminem excusat.

Sounds like you failed to learn a valuable lesson about modern jurisprudence.

Old 04-10-2018, 01:33 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aboom View Post

He's not upset...
I think this is all that matters.

You will encounter more than a couple of "weird ways of handling things" as a parent. If he learned something and wasn't harmed, it's better to let this kind of thing go.

Old 04-10-2018, 05:08 PM

"It sounds like you are upset, and I guess I would be too."

"He's not upset and I'm not upset, I just think that was a weird way to handle it,"

Last edited by Aboom; 04-10-2018 at 05:18 PM..

Old 04-10-2018, 05:32 PM

This already concerns me:

"the teachers' desire to turn the entire school system into their personal fiefdom."

As a single, custodial dad, i already have endured being spoken to as if i dont know what im doing (i most certainly do). When this occurs, i smile and go along in agreement not being defensive but raising my inner eyebrow.

Its a line i walk on so as to not make myself more of a target. This "sex" comment, got me concerned but i think its much ado about nothing at this point. We just dont want any more attention like this. Lol

Old 04-10-2018, 06:04 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Quote:

"the teachers' desire to turn the entire school system into their personal fiefdom."
I was with you until this. Look at it from the teacher's point of view. All she needs is one kid going home and making bunny ears to a sibling, and telling her/his parent that it means sex because Aboom's child told her/him so, for the fires to rain down. Yeah, I find the whole reaction a bit over-zealous, but teachers have to be that way it seems.

Let it go.

Old 04-10-2018, 06:22 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
"It sounds like you are upset, and I guess I would be too."

"He's not upset and I'm not upset, I just think that was a weird way to handle it,"
In fairness, since you started a thread about it here on CD, I'd guess you're upset. In any event, you're not just blowing it off.

Old 04-10-2018, 06:31 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:

As a single, custodial dad, i already have endured being spoken to as if i dont know what im doing (i most certainly do). When this occurs, i smile and go along in agreement not being defensive but raising my inner eyebrow.

Its a line i walk on so as to not make myself more of a target. This "sex" comment, got me concerned but i think its much ado about nothing at this point. We just dont want any more attention like this. Lol
It would help your son (and you) if you view his teachers as allies instead of persecutors.

I know it's taxing to be talked down to as a single parent. But don't punish all his teachers for the past actions of others. It already sounds like you're downplaying your son's actions based on your mistrust of the school officials. That's a dangerous path to travel down as a parent of a child who has a LOT of school left.

He said something he shouldn't have, and they handled it. He doesn't sound traumatized. Hopefully he has learned from this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting