Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 09:02 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
Exactly.

And then it would be "See? Public schools are such cesspools. Why don't teachers do something about this sort of behavior?!".

As for the silly whining about 'political correctness' these days, do these people really think that sexual gestures would have gone uncorrected in the 'good old days'? The correction would almost certainly have been more memorable than simply explaining to the child that that was not appropriate and requiring an apology.
Exactly! The child may have been sat in a corner, or even spanked. Not approving mind you, just sayin'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
So basically he learned not to volunteer information or use words he’s unsure of. Great lesson to be taught in school, which is supposed to be a place to get your questions answered. This is a six year old, not a ten year old who would know that “sex” isn’t generally a polite thing to talk about in mixed company. I agree that it was handled stupidly. By making a big deal out of it by requiring a meeting and an apology, the teacher just made it certain that the other children will remember the word “sex” and that it’s a Naughty Word much along the lines of “poop head.”
How do you know the bold? Maybe the child learned not to say something if he's not sure of the meaning. That'd be a good lesson for a lot of CD posters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Thanks for the warning...I think I will skip it...although now my mind is running amuck.
I'm going to look it up as soon as I get off here! I learned something today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
The question is "what was he corrected for?" Correction implies he did something wrong. What was done to the kid who actually made the sign? Opportunity for learning for the whole class lost.
It's easy to "Monday Morning Quarterback" this stuff. The teacher has to decide on the spur of the moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2018, 10:05 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aboom View Post
My son said "that means sex" when he saw a boy do the "rabbit ears" behind a girls head in class. The teacher overheard and called the counselor. After speaking with him in the hallway he was told to go back in and apologize, which he did.

My son said that he learned from a fellow classmate earlier this year that the bunny ears meant "sex" when held behind someone's head . He admittedly did not know anything else associated with the word, thats why he spoke freely about it when saw the gesture.

It was all innocent. He had no clue that he was opening a can of worms. I just found it a bit odd that he had to say he was sorry to the other kids. I would have just told him "that's not something we talk about here so let's not say that anymore okay?"

He's not upset and I'm not upset, I just think that was a weird way to handle it, having him to say "i'm sorry" when he didn't even know what it meant.

Thoughts?
It may not make sense to you from the perspective that you think the apology was meant as a punishment only and since he didn't know it was wrong to say because then he shouldn't have been punished? Some say that "ignorance of the law" is not a defense....

If it was also or mainly meant to educate your son that he said something "not nice/appropriate" then it makes more sense except the teacher or whoever did not give a good explanation that was something your son could carry over into another situation. So not a great learning experience. I don't consider an apology as a bad thing - you can apologize even if you don't consider yourself to be "wrong" or at fault but because you said something unintentionally hurtful, for example.

Old 04-11-2018, 11:19 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,878,970 times
If you do something innocently and later find out that it hurt a friend's feelings or something, don't you apologize even though you didn't know at the time?

Once your son learned that it was inappropriate, there is nothing inappropriate about apologizing. It's not punishment or morality policing. It's a "Whoops, I did something that turned out to be wrong. Sorry about that!"

Teaching kids proper sincere apologizing techniques is great emotional and social education too.

Old 04-11-2018, 11:23 AM

11,780 posts, read 5,792,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Oh My!

If you want to lose your breakfast, just look up bunny ears in the Urban Dictionary. I wish that I had not done that.
60 yrs old and I learned something new - who ever came up with these new urban definitions to words - well it says more about them than it does the rest of the populace who think it's just putting 2 fingers up behind a person's head in jest for a picture.

If I were the teacher - I would have moved along - diverting from the faux pas and discussed it with the parents after class.

Old 04-11-2018, 11:29 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,554,439 times
If a child did not get in trouble for saying that bunny ears is a sex thing, then someone would complain. Teachers can’t win.

Old 04-11-2018, 11:36 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,554,439 times
I’m also kinda curious as to where these six year olds are hearing this.

I for one didn’t know what "bunny ears" were.

Old 04-11-2018, 12:33 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,584,478 times
I had no idea what bunny ears were in terms of sex however I wouldn’t have a problem with my 8 year old saying it in that context. I think we are way overly sensitive to the word sex in general and my son, who is 8, knows exactly what sex is and what it can lead to (babies and stds). He asked so we told him the truth. If he told someone else at school I wouldn’t have an issue with it as long as it was accurate and not said or meant in a derogatory way. Likewise if another child told him about it with accuracy it’s totally fine. It’s not fine to do it at their age (obviously) but knowing what it is is a different story. I prefer to be the source of the information too given that our kids share a bus with middle schoolers who y’all openly about that and all sorts of other things I’ve had to explain.

Old 04-11-2018, 12:41 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Ignorantia juris non excusat or ignorantia legis neminem excusat.

Sounds like you failed to learn a valuable lesson about modern jurisprudence.
Someone is raising this to an unnecessary level. This was not a court of law. It was in a grade school.

Old 04-11-2018, 01:38 PM
KCZ

4,669 posts, read 3,665,713 times
I think there was more than one acceptable way to handle this, and the teacher's way had to be in line with school guidelines that we don't know about. I don't think the teacher was wrong, even if her way wasn't the way any of us would have chosen.

Old 04-11-2018, 01:44 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,185,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccernerd View Post
I’m also kinda curious as to where these six year olds are hearing this.
The day before yesterday, my 7 year old 1st grader asked me "Mom, what's inappropriate about a lap dance?"

She said overheard it in class from a boy who tends to require a lot of the teacher's attention because, as my daughter described him, "is always in trouble". Thankfully, my daughter has the good sense to generally avoid him whenever possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting