U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the obvious main problem?
Dad 0 0%
Mom 3 11.54%
Bad parenting in general 5 19.23%
Other 18 69.23%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 12:23 PM

4,104 posts, read 3,444,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
OP, I also agree with getting her evaluated by a psychiatrist/psychologist.

The lack of remorse is worrisome.
Understatement. Violence & no remorse. It's GD horrifying. Running away is least of problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2018, 01:36 PM

586 posts, read 406,268 times
I would recommend finding a good family counselor. I have two boys (neither of which are nearly as old as your girl) but I know all families have certain dysfunction in them (some less than others). But a good counselor would be able to help you, your wife and daughter. First thing that made me think things could go wrong is your parenting methods. Both parties have to be on the same page with parenting technique. Otherwise one parent will come off always as "the bad guy". It will create a inconsistent growth and learning environment for the child. These are all things I've learned over the years through my own counseling process.

Old 04-15-2018, 02:53 PM

10,372 posts, read 2,809,607 times
Talk to her doctor with complete honesty, and get a referral to at least a therapist, and possibly a psychiatrist. It is not normal for an 8-year-old to steal credit cards. Actually, it's also not normal for a kindergartener to choke a classmate. Please do not delay taking action. This child needs help, before it's too late.

Old 04-15-2018, 05:44 PM

10,638 posts, read 3,311,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Oops, I missed that she was walking to and from school unsupervised. In the school districts where I live and/or taught the school would never allow an eight year old to do that (unless there was a responsible older sibling or neighbor who was "in charge" and they had signed permission from the parents of all the children involved).

I have to agree here! I walked to an from school when I was 5 (I was terrified too) but that was also 40 years ago! Times are different! You need to drop her off and pick her up or have someone else do it!

I also agree she needs to see a therapist. This is not normal behavior for an 8 yr old. The longer you take to address it, the harder it's going to be to resolve these issues. No real blame here, but MOM needs to not let her get away with crap! It has to be a team effort and MOM and Dad need to be on the same page!

Old 04-15-2018, 07:07 PM

10,090 posts, read 6,489,790 times
Did OP ever come back? Lots of good (and a little of crappy) advice. Well I hope someone finds it helpful.

Old 04-15-2018, 11:49 PM

3 posts, read 1,573 times
Yes, OP here
I have thoroughly read Commets and thank all that took time to try to help me as a father through this.
I want to make clear, I'm not looking for a "quick fix" nor am I looking for where to put blame...I take responsibility for my actions raising my daughter and for what environment I create and expose her to. That includes my relationship with my wife and daughter as a whole and independently.
I have always tried to keep my daughter in mind during and before every choice I have ever made. She is my everything.

I am not expecting anyone to give me the answer as it's far to complex and impossible for the limited glimpse I've provided to the situation. I am here in hopes to better my abilities and what impact on her life.

Much love and appreciation for all comments and care. Thank you

Ps..
Alot walking home comments... I was not thorough on this part... Our condo complex shares a wall with the school. She has 3 friends that live in same complex. From school exit to cond complex entrance, they walk 200 feet together and never alone. The moms wait outside and out and usually watch kids the entire way home. Despite this, we don't allow it anymore after the run away.

Last edited by LiveAz; 04-16-2018 at 12:54 AM..

Old 04-16-2018, 12:51 AM

3 posts, read 1,573 times
After much research and consideration from advise.. I have decided to implement and stick to a plan of action. I would really value feedback....

Should I continue on this thread or post a new one referring this one. Considering this impacts my daughters future and life, I would like as much feedback as possible. Should I continue on this thread or post new one referencing this one??

Old 04-16-2018, 01:16 AM

8,855 posts, read 10,310,313 times
She needs professional help. Please set her up with a GOOD child psychologist. Some posters are focusing on the running away, there is so much more going on there.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:02 AM

2,054 posts, read 983,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
She needs professional help. Please set her up with a GOOD child psychologist. Some posters are focusing on the running away, there is so much more going on there.
If your daughter had choked my daughter the first week of kindergarten, there would have been hell to pay. What did the other parent do? What do her teacher and school do when she exhibits these behaviors?

There is a distinct possibility that your child might be a sociopath. You need to get her evaluated as soon as possible and try to get her into some sort of treatment program. If she is diagnosed has some other problem, you can begin to work on that issue. Please don't delay getting her to a qualified psychologist.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:52 AM

133 posts, read 47,411 times
It could not be from effects of abuse but austism. You donít always see it too. There are many types. And this wonít be sonething the parent caused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or