Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 03:49 PM

171 posts, read 145,921 times

Advertisements

Im 29 yrs old, I have one child , a 3 year old. My very close friends all do not have kids yet, which is fine. When I initially told my friends of my pregnancy they were ecstatic helped me with almost EVERYTHING imaginable. I love my friends and Its not weird me being the only parent, but my only concern is they can be slightly judgy at times which is a peeve for example last week I visited my friends who are twin sisters, one of them noticed my son had on mismatched socks ( I couldn't find the other one in the suitcase and was in a rush so I was winging it) so she made a comment jokingly, but I could tell she was judging me as well. So I made a remark to her telling her "I hope once you have children , you have it all together".

Another example is one of my friends called while visiting the twins and she made a comment saying the reason she hadn't came to visit either cause she knew my son would be there and it would be too much for her to want to deal with... I lowkey felt insulted. He is 3 what do they expect? Hes not a nuisance , or throwing tantrums all over the place, but he is still at a toddler. Im not expecting them to understand personally how I feel until they have their own children, but I still wonder am I overthinking things. I haven't said anything to them personally about how I feel, but was wondering should I say anything or just let it go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 03:57 PM

2,146 posts, read 3,061,436 times
Let it go. No point in ruining the visit. Take comfort in knowing that if they have kids, they too will realize mismatched socks are the least of your worries. It's just not worth the battle.

Old 05-04-2018, 04:03 PM

461 posts, read 509,213 times
I would let it go, but I would try and find friends that had toddlers so you could do toddler friendly things with people that understand that lifestyle. I would do things that didn't involve your child with your close friends. It may be hard but you are at different stages of life. Kind of like when everyone is single and that one friend gets married. You can no longer do the same things as when everyone is single. Don't take it personally, they just don't know and won't know or understand until they have kids. Having a child changes everything and this is one of the things it is changing. You sound like a normal parent with a normal toddler by the way...

Old 05-04-2018, 04:20 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
Let it go. No point in ruining the visit. Take comfort in knowing that if they have kids, they too will realize mismatched socks are the least of your worries. It's just not worth the battle.
Good points.

BTW, did you realize that mis-matched socks are a fashion statement for children? They even sell mis-matched socks as pairs of socks in high end stores (at least they did a few years ago),

Old 05-04-2018, 04:22 PM

171 posts, read 145,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Good points.

BTW, did you realize that mis-matched socks are a fashion statement for children? They even sell mis-matched socks as pairs of socks in high end stores (at least they did a few years ago),

Lol Yes but they were completely different one was all red, the other was like black with pink, blue and yellow stripes

Old 05-04-2018, 05:00 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
Just wait til they have kids... then they will know the truth. I, too, was the perfect parent before having children.

Old 05-04-2018, 05:08 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
I wouldn't really say anything to them unless they were rude to your son or excessively rude. But you might look for more "mommy" friends if you don't have any. They are such a blessing when you have little ones.

Old 05-04-2018, 08:13 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
Just smile and say "I'll be sure to remind you of that statement when you have your own kids."

Old 05-04-2018, 09:36 PM

11,160 posts, read 7,964,064 times
I would have said.. "Oh you like his socks? He has another pair just like them at home. "

Old 05-05-2018, 10:12 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,253,620 times
It's a different kind of visit if it's you with your child vs just you. Can't blame them if this is not the kind of day they want and it's not that they are judging. I have certain friends that I won't take a walk with if they are bringing their dog because it's too slow and too much about the dog but I will be happy to have a morning walk sans the pet Kind of the same thing - only a little worse really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting