U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 05:54 PM

6,435 posts, read 9,158,355 times

Advertisements

Seriously, all this is going to create is how to play one parent against the other, which you seem open to. Ulterior motive on your part to allow it regardless of what her dad says?

What would you do if you were still married to him?

No. Just no... but you can always put it in context that you're ok with it, but dad isn't. Then he's the bad parent... wouldn't you look so much better in her eyes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2018, 07:32 PM

21 posts, read 4,691 times
@Stagemomma

"Tattoos: I told my daughters when they were about 14 and 11 that the day they got a tattoo was the day they could kiss any college money from me goodbye. So when they are finished with grad school they can think about a tattoo."

I gave my kids the same exact talk about tattoos and piercings. Once they were out of college and into the professional workforce, they saw tattoos and piercings as liabilities.

@mtbikelover, you should teach your daughter to respect her father. It is not about tattoos or piercings but respecting her parents.

Old 04-20-2018, 08:37 PM

889 posts, read 310,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j7r6s View Post
That's a ridiculous line of reasoning.

Hey Mom, I want you to let my 19 year old boyfriend start staying the night, and I want to become a prostitute, and I'm thinking about starting a heroin habit.
OK, let your 19 year old boyfriend stay the night but no to the other two.

LOL.

Old 04-20-2018, 08:59 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,008,921 times
Do 13-year-olds need a parent present and giving permission to get their ears pierced now? It's been quite a while since I had mine done (3 holes in each + left cartilage) and no one even asked how old I was or anything.

To me, this is really being blown out of proportion. I wonder what the argument against a 3rd hole is, exactly.

That being said, if it becomes a parental argument, and one doesn't want it, it has to be "no" I guess. Seems more like some sort of power play than an actual issue with an ear piercing.

Old 04-20-2018, 09:22 PM

3,977 posts, read 1,654,282 times
Each ear comes with holes. So far she has four technically. Persuade her that anymore holes could lead to malformity as she a ages.

Old 04-20-2018, 09:33 PM

24,003 posts, read 27,503,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Each ear comes with holes. So far she has four technically. Persuade her that anymore holes could lead to malformity as she a ages.
Lie to her?

Old 04-20-2018, 09:37 PM

4,248 posts, read 1,722,823 times
I don’t see the big difference between two and three...?!

Old 04-20-2018, 10:14 PM

5,732 posts, read 1,653,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I agree. Your daughter is 13 and if she learns to play you against one another now she'll do it every time she wants something. No harm will come to her if she doesn't get a 3rd piercing. Just tell her that the answer is "no" but you can talk about it in a couple of years.

The daughter should be required to write-up an explanation of how her life will be diminished, if she doesn't get more piercings and a tattoo. See if that might give her a sense of self-realization, about how non-essential such things are, in her life as a whole.

Old 04-21-2018, 07:33 AM

24,003 posts, read 27,503,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
The daughter should be required to write-up an explanation of how her life will be diminished, if she doesn't get more piercings and a tattoo. See if that might give her a sense of self-realization, about how non-essential such things are, in her life as a whole.
A lot of things that make people happy are non-essential.

Old 04-21-2018, 11:02 AM

1,975 posts, read 945,466 times
OP, you already said yes to your daughter if she got her grades up. She kept her end of the bargain, did she not? You need to follow through.

As for your ex... if he's not paying child support, as far as I'm concerned he gets absolutely ZERO opinion in such a minor matter. Some of you posters are absolutely ridiculous for saying that the child can't get another piercing because she needs to respect her father... HA! Deadbeat fathers who aren't paying for their child's well beating are not worthy of respect. If he ever starts acting like a responsible father, taking care of and paying for his child's well being, THEN and ONLY THEN does he get a say.

I'm a male saying this, btw. I have a daughter of my own. Piercings are no big deal, in fact I had my ears pierced back in the 80's/early 90's. They will close up if she ever decides to not want that many ear piercings.

As far as the tattoo goes, I'm with you. If she wants one, she definitely needs to be old enough to have it done on her own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or