U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 01:50 PM

34 posts, read 9,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalkr View Post
OP, set the boundaries up front, a lot easier to relax the limits later than to enforce the rules once he's used to all that screen time.
Thanks, Moonwalkr. That's kind of our situation right now. He's been off of screens during the week but now that his school year is winding down I was considering cutting him some more slack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2018, 04:08 PM

694 posts, read 570,305 times
If he's playing games or watching youtube videos it's cuz' I'm there with him, giving some guidance, answering questions or, providing supplemental information.

If the weather is good, we go outside and play. No games before homework. I teach him "play" only comes before "work" in the dictionary. I also add in homework. You on't win the prize by being equally fast as others, you must be faster!

Sounds harsh but we're all smiles. When all the work is done we play, run, laugh, make fart sounds. Screen time like pizza isn't inherently bad but, it is if it excludes a few other things.

Old 05-04-2018, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RageX View Post
If he's playing games or watching youtube videos it's cuz' I'm there with him, giving some guidance, answering questions or, providing supplemental information.

If the weather is good, we go outside and play. No games before homework. I teach him "play" only comes before "work" in the dictionary. I also add in homework. You on't win the prize by being equally fast as others, you must be faster!

Sounds harsh but we're all smiles. When all the work is done we play, run, laugh, make fart sounds. Screen time like pizza isn't inherently bad but, it is if it excludes a few other things.
Can I ask if your son is an only-child? I think what you're doing is great, but it may be tricky for folks with larger families to have that sort of one-on-one guidance all the time.

Old 05-07-2018, 12:55 PM

694 posts, read 570,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynDad85 View Post
Can I ask if your son is an only-child? I think what you're doing is great, but it may be tricky for folks with larger families to have that sort of one-on-one guidance all the time.
Yea, he is. So yes, my guidance is mostly applicable to an individual child as opposed to a group of kids.

Old 05-07-2018, 06:55 PM

73 posts, read 16,405 times
Why buy your kids the Xbox or whatever plays these video games in the first place? My kids are 2 and 4 so we're not there yet..but they do love certain shows already and are mesmerized by the screens. I'm not getting rid of my phone or my tv...but why bring more into the house that will encourage screen time or cause more whining to watch etc.

Old 05-08-2018, 09:40 AM

2,719 posts, read 2,009,380 times
My grandkids would be on their devices 24/7 if allowed. My kids make sure they get more outside play with friends than indoor solitary screen time.

My son is an online game developer, but even he knows the kids need fresh air, sunshine, imagination and exercise. He uses the devices as rewards (after homework, play, chores, whatever) and will take them away as a punishment.

Thinking back to my dad, fifty years ago. It was absolutely unacceptable to turn the tv on during the day, he would tell us to get outside. And if we said we didn't know what to do outside, he'd say, I'll find you something to do, which meant chores. Happy memories.

Old 05-08-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Thinking back to my dad, fifty years ago. It was absolutely unacceptable to turn the tv on during the day, he would tell us to get outside. And if we said we didn't know what to do outside, he'd say, I'll find you something to do, which meant chores. Happy memories.
Haha my mother used to drop the same line

Old Yesterday, 12:05 PM

1,519 posts, read 576,584 times
Here is another approach, might be good for certain families.

Wing it.

Just go with gut feeling.

Some days no screen time, too busy, kid is bad, etc
Some days tons of screen time, at home sick, weather, kid is good, etc

Old Yesterday, 01:26 PM

2,938 posts, read 2,664,604 times
My son is 10 and in 4th grade. He goes to an afterschool program 3 days a week and then the other 2 days he is with family members until I or his dad get home. We don't have a limit. My son gets good grades and his homework gets completed nightly. He plays sports and he plays with his friends. Summer is coming up and our neighborhood pool opens so we will be there most weekends and he will be in summer camp during the week when we aren't on vacation.

Old Yesterday, 04:19 PM

14,849 posts, read 12,477,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynDad85 View Post
Thanks, maciesmom. How did they end up handling screens/video games when they moved out? I'm concerned that if I don't expose him to screens now, he's going to go nuts when he goes off to college lol. But seriously, I have friends whose grades took a big hit in college because they did nothing but play video games...
One of my friends kids is a paid video game athlete while in engineering school. Esports or something.

Video games are not all created alike, and should not be treated as one thing. Minecraft and its ilk are very different than Halo. Even Halo has a social aspect, but hopefully not in 4th grade. Also, speaking of socializing, is playing video games a way to hang out with his friends after school?

All kids should have screen time monitored, but I have no inherent dislike of video games vs TV. Especially if they are skills based games like minecraft or also serve a social aspect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or