U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 06:35 AM

48 posts, read 22,112 times

Advertisements

My 9 year old son has gotten to the age where he wants to play video games on weekdays. We were low-tech for the first several years of his life so it's taken a while to get to this point. Since he's in the ever-so-important 4th grade (with MS admissions coming up) I've really cracked down on video games on weekdays. Recently I've been considering letting him play video games after he finishes all of his homework on weekdays, but I think this encourages him to rush through it without making sure he truly understands the material. How are you all addressing video games on weekdays? What do you think is the right balance?

I'm not too concerned that he may be addicted to video games just yet, as often times he chooses to read fiction books instead. I'm trying to err on the conservative side to make sure it doesn't progress in that direction, however.

Thanks everybody!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 06:41 AM

21,070 posts, read 21,922,318 times
My kids are grown now but we did not allow video games during the week. I do have a friend that didn't allow video games during the school year - just on breaks.

Old 04-24-2018, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
My kids are grown now but we did not allow video games during the week. I do have a friend that didn't allow video games during the school year - just on breaks.
Thanks, maciesmom. How did they end up handling screens/video games when they moved out? I'm concerned that if I don't expose him to screens now, he's going to go nuts when he goes off to college lol. But seriously, I have friends whose grades took a big hit in college because they did nothing but play video games...

Old 04-24-2018, 07:11 AM

21,070 posts, read 21,922,318 times
My son is now 25, a college graduate, employed and living on his own. He still plays video games from time to time, but like your son, was never super into them. He was and still is, more of an outdoor sporty guy. Video games are for downtime or for when other more interesting pursuits are not practical (time, weather etc). On a sunny Saturday given the choice he'd always choose to be biking, running, boarding, snowshoeing, hiking etc.

Old 04-24-2018, 07:16 AM

8,971 posts, read 15,924,861 times
I limited my son to 2hr on weekday from the time he got home from School Till Bedtime. (Elem School)

The Xbox Parent controls can set the "On Hours" and number of hours per day / week that it can be used. So he could not get up in the middle of the night to play, It would not work.

He could "Earn" additional Hours by doing "other Things".

In middle school Since his grades were good, I allowed him more time, just kept set the "Off Hours" to not include when he should be sleeping or before school.

In HS, He had unlimited Hours to play, would go to "Off Hours from 11p-7a on weekdays. and would be 100% available from 4pm Friday to 11pm Sunday

I was planning to restrict his WiFi overnight, But there were enough open / unsecured WiFi nodes around our home to make that pointless, his IP traffic would go thru our routers, so I could spot check what he was up to.

Old 04-24-2018, 07:30 AM

2,413 posts, read 1,243,624 times
Our son can use screens after he does the following: homework, clean his room/bathroom/playroom, plays outside for at least 30 mins (week nights) or 2 hours (weekend), feeds the pets, does one house chore and tells us about his day. During he week this amounts to maybe 30 mins, on weekends he may be closer to 1-2 hours. That includes games or tv.

Old 04-24-2018, 08:32 AM

24,398 posts, read 28,457,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynDad85 View Post
My 9 year old son has gotten to the age where he wants to play video games on weekdays. We were low-tech for the first several years of his life so it's taken a while to get to this point. Since he's in the ever-so-important 4th grade (with MS admissions coming up) I've really cracked down on video games on weekdays. Recently I've been considering letting him play video games after he finishes all of his homework on weekdays, but I think this encourages him to rush through it without making sure he truly understands the material. How are you all addressing video games on weekdays? What do you think is the right balance?

I'm not too concerned that he may be addicted to video games just yet, as often times he chooses to read fiction books instead. I'm trying to err on the conservative side to make sure it doesn't progress in that direction, however.

Thanks everybody!
Quote:
Thanks, maciesmom. How did they end up handling screens/video games when they moved out? I'm concerned that if I don't expose him to screens now, he's going to go nuts when he goes off to college lol. But seriously, I have friends whose grades took a big hit in college because they did nothing but play video games...
We use the parental controls on the x box to limit the time on weekdays and limit the hours of the day. Our 6th grader gets 2 hours on weekdays and 4 hours on weekends. He doesn't have a lot of homework this year, so it hasn't interfered.

Before we set the parental controls we told him if he could show us he was going to be responsible by limiting himself, we wouldn't set limits. He didn't, so we did.

The parts I bolded in your posts are concerning. Middle school admissions? Seriously? This isn't college. He's 9. Let him be a kid.

Old 04-24-2018, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Middle school admissions? Seriously? This isn't college. He's 9. Let him be a kid.
If only I could... Unfortunately the middle schools in our district are generally horrendous and the few good ones are extremely competitive, requiring good grades, good attendance, and good scores on standardized testing. Next year we'll take it easy again in 5th grade, but so far I've been strict on the screen time during the week to make sure his grades go up and stay up, and it does seem to be working.

Old 04-24-2018, 11:27 AM

1,898 posts, read 1,131,017 times
I homeschooled my kids, so it was different, but I did not limit screen time at all in the afternoon or evening.

What I did do was insist that they do certain things before they got any screentime: did something outside, did something active (sometimes the outside thing), read at least 1 chapter in a fiction book, read an article in their magazines, worked on a creative project. And I don't mean for just 10 minutes. They are 19 and 20 now and do a wide variety of things including video games, etc.

If your son is getting acceptable grades and learning things, which you should be able to tell easily by talking to him, then I don't see why this type of thing wouldn't work. Not all screen time is brain-melting.

Old 04-24-2018, 01:12 PM

24,398 posts, read 28,457,656 times
Quote:
If only I could... Unfortunately the middle schools in our district are generally horrendous and the few good ones are extremely competitive, requiring good grades, good attendance, and good scores on standardized testing. Next year we'll take it easy again in 5th grade, but so far I've been strict on the screen time during the week to make sure his grades go up and stay up, and it does seem to be working.
Wow that's nuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or