Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 12:01 PM

461 posts, read 504,004 times

Advertisements

I would definitely get her evaluated for bi-polar as she fits some of the criteria. I would also take away her phone/electronics until her grades improve. That works wonders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 03:08 PM

17,322 posts, read 13,062,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2u View Post
My daughter is 16 and stopped doing school work this year. She instead writes essays about how she's going to become the president, famous, etc. and lots of other topics not related to the things the teacher wants her to do. She also gets easily distracted in class. I thought maybe she was anxious about the school work but she knows she's smart and says it all the time she's smarter than everyone. Her teachers say she is always laughing and smiling. At home she sometimes has mood swings like all teens, otherwise she is also laughing and smiling all the time. In fact this summer she talked about her idea to invent teleportation and some other innovative technologies. She said all of America will change the constitution so she could become president in 10 years. I tell her it's great that she's so ambitious but she won't reach those goals unless she does her school work. She is bright and can talk about many different topics at once. Yet is refusing to do school work.
Have her evaluated for ADHD and IQ. This sounds like she is bored and can't focus

Old 05-04-2018, 03:15 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,912,734 times
Sounds like it may be a mental condition, or maybe she is smoking pot or taking hallucinagens? She's apparently somewhat delusional, possibly even schizophrenic. Have you spoken to her about her change in personality and motivations? Ask her if she is using drugs, though she may not be honest with you. Even pot can cause a big change in motivation and personality for a teenager. Ask her to take a drug test, and if there's no drugs involved take her to see a psychiatrist.
Quote:
My daughter is 16 and stopped doing school work this year. She instead writes essays about how she's going to become the president, famous, etc. and lots of other topics not related to the things the teacher wants her to do. She also gets easily distracted in class. I thought maybe she was anxious about the school work but she knows she's smart and says it all the time she's smarter than everyone. Her teachers say she is always laughing and smiling. At home she sometimes has mood swings like all teens, otherwise she is also laughing and smiling all the time. In fact this summer she talked about her idea to invent teleportation and some other innovative technologies. She said all of America will change the constitution so she could become president in 10 years. I tell her it's great that she's so ambitious but she won't reach those goals unless she does her school work. She is bright and can talk about many different topics at once. Yet is refusing to do school work.

Old 05-04-2018, 04:25 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,109,111 times
If she really thinks the American people are going to change the Constitution so she can become president in ten years, she is clearly delusonal a d mentally ill and needs to see a psychologist as soon as possible, not doing homework is the least of her problems.

Old 05-04-2018, 05:59 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,520,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoman_6 View Post
i'd pick up some brochures for her about hair dressing, waitressing, and nursing room orderlies.
My first thought as well. She *might* be bipolar— or she might simply be living in a fantasy world far more prosaic than anything found in DSM-(whatever it is now). If her only symptom is grandiosity, I’d be dubious.

Old 05-04-2018, 06:18 PM

6,972 posts, read 4,811,404 times
IF she doesn't have anything wrong with her physically or mentally, I'd let it go. I might even go so far as to give her a year off from school. Of course, she has to be doing something and as a parent, I'd try to find out first what she's interested in, then explore that or sidelines of those interests until she finds something she likes enough to pursue. Then ask that she pursue that or go back to school. And this doesn't mean you do this on your own - she has to take the lead on this.

You might also let her know her job is learning and if she isn't doing that, she'll be expected to pay her room and board by getting a job.

There are a lot of things that need constant practice and little book learning: gymnastics, ballet, equitation, etc. She may want to fly planes, make and cast models, sketch, work with computers, research something. Some of those things do take some serious knowledge of math and other sciences, but if she's interested enough in what she chooses, then she'll be interested enough to take the classes. You might even consider trying to get her an internship in a political office if she really thinks she'll be president some day.

Sixteen is the age to start looking for something that will grab her by the heart and last as an interest forever. She's old enough to know what she likes and young enough to start preparing for what she wants to do.

Old 05-04-2018, 06:19 PM

3,005 posts, read 2,319,423 times
My parents didn't provide a reward for doing well in school or punishment for doing badly. I didn't have much interest in it. I did what most people, young and old, do when they have to do something, but there's no incentive to do well: as little as I could get by with.

Old 05-04-2018, 06:38 PM

37,426 posts, read 45,623,586 times
Quote:
Take her down to McDonalds and have the manager discuss her upcoming duties.

Old 05-04-2018, 08:22 PM

4,235 posts, read 3,674,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCapeCod View Post
The young lady sounds like me when I was 16. Didn't do any work in high school. Graduated with around a D average. I was a real dope!!!

72 now. BA from John Jay College of Criminal Justice (CJ), Masters from Western New England in CJ (3.97GPA). My point? Young people do grow out of their foolishness. Four years in the military helped me, not sure what route to take for the young women.

Best of luck,

Rich
This sounds beyond and different from your experience. OP indicated that this recently started (at least that is my interpretation when she noted that the 16 year old "stopped" doing her schoolwork).

Something else is going on, and I agree that some kind of mental health and/or neurological evaluation is called for. Perhaps she has some undiagnosed learning disability that she can no longer hide. Although the delusions of grandeur seem odd to me, even for a teen. That thinking just seems off to me for a 16 year old -- a 6 year old? Maybe. But 16 is old for thinking that the Constitution is going to be amended anytime soon.

Especially if there has been a recent and relatively sudden change in behavior and in thinking, some kind of mental health professional should be called in. Perhaps the school's guidance counselor can give some insight.

Old 05-04-2018, 08:24 PM

236 posts, read 193,316 times
Talking about being famous sounds as if she is losing touch with reality in some way. Is she being heavily influenced by alot of media? Teens are going off the deep end right now with youtube. They literally believe that talking about make up and clothes on camera can lead to great wealth and fame! What would give her the idea she can just decide to stop being accountable in school? She sounds like she needs some guided structure in an area she is excited about. Only parents can really encourage kids to be accountable. No homework? Then no cell phone, tv or friends. Simple as that. She will thank you later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting