Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 09:00 PM

126 posts, read 136,903 times

Advertisements

A recent article about Tammy Duckworth really opened my eyes on something. People were making a big deal about her nursing on the senate floor. That doesn't seem like a big deal to me to be honest...although i guess it is basically bringing your baby to work and breastfeeding in front of co workers. What REALLY got me that no articles made mention of is that she is FIFTY. Yes, she had a baby at 50. Now I had my kids at 35 and 37 and i felt like i was older. I live in boston, people are educated here they have careers, but still most of peers are having kids in their 30s. I know of a few who had a baby at 40. But FIFTY?!?!? is this going to become the norm? I get that Tammy duckworth is not your average woman either.

Are we pushing the envelope here? Just because science makes way for something should it happen? we dont really know what the ramifications of women having children so late in life are. I think we've evolved but how much more room is there evolve as far as getting pregnant goes.

And yes i realize it's better to have a baby when you're older and financially stable but damn...do people need to wait until we're 50 for this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2018, 09:03 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
^^It's her second and I believe she and her hubby tried for a long time before the first.

Old 05-03-2018, 09:10 PM

Right i also know she had a 3 year old. I know janet jackson had a baby at 50 but for some reason i put celebs in another bucket. Tammy is again not the average woman...but my former boss also had twins at 52 and i thought she was an anomaly. Now i'm starting to see that it's becoming a thing.

Old 05-03-2018, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lologal321 View Post
Right i also know she had a 3 year old. I know janet jackson had a baby at 50 but for some reason i put celebs in another bucket. Tammy is again not the average woman...but my former boss also had twins at 52 and i thought she was an anomaly. Now i'm starting to see that it's becoming a thing.
If three people make a "thing".

Old 05-04-2018, 05:01 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Why does it have to be "a thing"? There are lots of other "things" happening in the world that are more offensive than this. I am 50, and I feel like I could conceive another baby tomorrow and do absolutely fine.

I had my youngest at 37, and the medical staff definitely treated me like I was having my own grandchild. But going through that as well as a twin pregnancy previously only taught me how strong and resilient the human body is and how powerful the "mind over matter" concept can be.

I understand that there are risks of pregnancy at "advanced maternal age," but health care and lifestyles are different these days.

Old 05-04-2018, 06:00 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,722,107 times
I’m 40 and my kids are teenagers. I could not imagine starting with a new baby now. My main concern with a 50-year-old having a baby is that they have a decent chance of not being around for their child’s high school or college graduation, wedding, etc. Yes, I realize I could die tomorrow and not see my kids graduate, but the chances are much higher for someone nearing 70.

Old 05-04-2018, 06:11 AM

I'm not saying it's 'offensive.' I dont think 50 is old per se but it's old to be giving birth.

I also recall when i had one of my kids there was a woman on the elevator who was over 60 who had just had twins. Her son who was about 30 was standing there all happy. They happened to be spanish speaking, but all i could think of was WHY. THe woman looked OLD. I was nervous thinking she was sick and then it was announced she'd just had twins. I was like, WHAT? how?

Old 05-04-2018, 06:14 AM

48 posts, read 35,203 times
I mean, guys have been having kids in their 50s for forever now. It only seems fair that women should too, if science has made it safe! I understand a woman's desire to progress in her career before starting a family.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:06 AM

9,873 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lologal321 View Post
They happened to be spanish speaking,

How is this statement relative to the topic, at all?

Old 05-04-2018, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I’m 40 and my kids are teenagers. I could not imagine starting with a new baby now. My main concern with a 50-year-old having a baby is that they have a decent chance of not being around for their child’s high school or college graduation, wedding, etc. Yes, I realize I could die tomorrow and not see my kids graduate, but the chances are much higher for someone nearing 70.
By the time mine were 10 or so, I couldn't imagine having another one either. I think that happens no matter what one's age. A college friend of my husband's had his in his 40s. When we got a birth announcement I said "Would you want to be starting a family now?" to which DH replied, "No, but he didn't do it when we did (in our 30s), it's all new to him". It was a good perspective.

LIfe expectancy for a woman age 50 is 33.24 years (as of 2014), IOW, Ms. Duckworth can expect to live to be 83.24 years. Not only is she likely to see her daughter graduate from high school, she could possibly see her become a mom herself!
https://www.ssa.gov/oact/STATS/table4c6.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting