U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 10:15 AM

3,191 posts, read 2,798,770 times

Advertisements

You have a different perspective after you have kids. Blow it off when they say something they have no idea about. They may apologize when they have kids themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2018, 10:15 AM

2,402 posts, read 1,027,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agreen9189 View Post
Lol Yes but they were completely different one was all red, the other was like black with pink, blue and yellow stripes

What fun. . A fashion statement par excellence

Old 05-05-2018, 11:10 AM

2,301 posts, read 1,106,624 times
Nah they are being naive. Wait until they have kids.

Old 05-05-2018, 11:15 AM

2,188 posts, read 1,216,432 times
Of course friends without kids usually don't know what goes into getting a child ready, feeding a child, etc, etc. If they do have some idea, they don't often know what is like on a day-to-day basis. One of my favorite Dave Barry quotes is this: A perfect parent is a person with excellent child-rearing theories and no actual children." It's so true. Let those comment roll off you. If they have kids someday, they'll realize it. Snarky comments in return won't mean anything to them now.

As for the visit part- I totally get that. I have 3 kids and had my first in my late 20s (before all of my friends). I so appreciated the friends who were happy to spend time with me AND my children. But not everyone liked that. And now that my kids are older, I don't want to spend time with friends and their younger children all that often (unless we plan for a date WITH all our children). There's nothing judgmental about that or a sign that they don't like your kid. It's just completely different to spend time with someone who has a child hanging around than time without kids. If you value these friendships, see if you can work out time together without your child. When your child is around, you are splitting your attention between your child and your friend and it also limits the way you and your friend can talk and what you talk about.

Get to know other moms with young kids through playgroups, library story time, visiting parks, etc. Some of my best memories and closest friends were friends made after I had kids through these informal events. When you both have kids around, it's much more relaxing and fun. And the other mom will "get you" on some level. Of course, then you may get into potential judgy mom wars, so choose those friends wisely. You might have to kiss a few frogs to find your princess

Old 05-05-2018, 12:00 PM

27,006 posts, read 14,943,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I wouldn't really say anything to them unless they were rude to your son or excessively rude. But you might look for more "mommy" friends if you don't have any. They are such a blessing when you have little ones.

This is so very true. Mommy friends can help each other and have fun too. I don't know if I could have done it without my Mommy friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Just smile and say "I'll be sure to remind you of that statement when you have your own kids."
LOL. I cringe when I think of MY own statements before I had a kid.

Old 05-07-2018, 11:45 AM

6,114 posts, read 5,134,617 times
You should have said, "He has another pair just like them at home!"

Old 05-07-2018, 12:17 PM

2,051 posts, read 1,314,834 times
you are taking it too personally. There is a show on Netflix on this issue you are dealing with, its called "The Letdown". One specific episode where she brings her baby to hangout with friends because she couldn't find a sitter & the friends made excuse to end the night only to have after party without her.

I been in your friends shoe. Half of my friends were starting to have babies in late 20's while other half of my friends were dating/settling down around that time. Since college we always tried hosting a big gathering at someone's place & it was always fun to catch up. But then my friends started brining their babies with them to the parties. now in middle of a deep conversation about my dating life, a baby starts crying & ruins the moment and now we are off track. Soon more friends started having babies and toddlers & our hangout turned into daycare. The group automatically shifted in 2 parts (2 sides of the room with few quick conversation as we got food). We eventually realize this is not working & have cut down large hangouts.

As other posters say, priority is different. Even friends who had kids in earlier and are now pass the baby stage don't want to hangout with a friend and her baby all the time. But the OPs friends question about socks sounds innocent and not judge

Old 05-07-2018, 03:40 PM

170 posts, read 76,575 times
Yes. Thanks for the responses I decided against saying anything, Ive known all of them for over 10 years and know they have good intentions and hearts, like you all stated they just dont get it right now. But im definitely going to start looking for more Mom friends

Old 05-07-2018, 04:03 PM

10,852 posts, read 18,796,414 times
By the time they get around to having kids at 33 or 34, you'll have all the mommy stuff down pat, your son will be past the messy years, and you'll be secretly rolling your eyes at how inept their parenting is, at least at first.

My sister always made snide comments and made me feel like an inadequate parent. Now she's got a kid, and he runs wild, won't wear anything but pajamas, climbs everything in the house, won't sleep in his own bed, kicks his dad in the nuts every time he picks him up, and refuses to be toilet trained even though he's three.

Old 05-07-2018, 05:05 PM

6,308 posts, read 2,290,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agreen9189 View Post
. I love my friends and Its not weird me being the only parent, but my only concern is they can be slightly judgy at times which is a peeve for example last week I visited my friends who are twin sisters, one of them noticed my son had on mismatched socks ( I couldn't find the other one in the suitcase and was in a rush so I was winging it) so she made a comment jokingly, but I could tell she was judging me as well. So I made a remark to her telling her "I hope once you have children , you have it all together".
I'd tell her off. It doesn't matter if kids wear mismatched socks or what they're wearing. I get those stupid comments too. I'm not sure why anyone cares what socks my kids wear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting