Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 02:12 PM

5,341 posts, read 14,138,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
There are so many ways this could have been a misunderstanding and not an actual medical issue.

If you were in your car ...

If you were holding your phone in a way that obscured the microphone ...

If your speaker is malfunctioning ...

If you were in a room with background noise...

Call them the first thing Monday and make them tell you what the heck is going on. This is very odd.
This....god do i hate it when i have some yahoo on the phone with their voice fully muffled because they dont' know how to hold a phone! #arghh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 02:45 PM

6,459 posts, read 7,793,546 times
I did not read the responses so this might have been said.

It sounds to me like an overzealous and inexperienced desk administrator. Probably wanting to think of themselves as a mandatory reporter or something weird like that. It has to be...just doesn't make any sense otherwise.

If it were me, I'd keep the appointment and let the actual orthopedist or other clinician know about it.

Best of luck

Old 05-14-2018, 03:43 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
I did not read the responses so this might have been said.

It sounds to me like an overzealous and inexperienced desk administrator. Probably wanting to think of themselves as a mandatory reporter or something weird like that. It has to be...just doesn't make any sense otherwise.

If it were me, I'd keep the appointment and let the actual orthopedist or other clinician know about it.

Best of luck
Is this sarcasm? If not, I suggest you do read the thread. Doctors are mandatory reporters, and this was not a CPS report anyway. It was a "welfare check". Doctors do that sometimes.

Old 05-14-2018, 04:37 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I don't know why you'd believe that, since you had nothing to do with this episode. At the doctor's office where I worked, the OM didn't always know the day-to-day of the office.

It is not unheard of for doctor's offices to send the police out for welfare checks. It happened to my brother, and I got wrapped up in it b/c I was his emergency contact.
Then what are they managing? Based on the OP's update, I thought it was perhaps 1 rogue employee. If you don't know what to do in a situation, you ask your boss. Wouldn't the office manager be involved in that conversation?

Old 05-14-2018, 04:54 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Yes, well, probably the doc should have asked you mom and your sis if it was OK to show sis the scans. I agree with your concerns. I know it sounds trite, but my thoughts and prayers for them.
Thanks, that's nice of you, not trite at all.

Old 05-14-2018, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Did your doctor’s office ever call the police to do a welfare check on someone who had done nothing more then leave a voicemail message and did they do it as a first resort or did they try to get a hold of the person first?
Not that I know of. We did not have a voicemail system for patients. When the office was open, calls were answered by a real person who worked at the office. When it was closed, we had an answering service that took the calls. We were open over the lunch hour.

My brother's doctor did call the police for a welfare check when he didn't show up for an appt, didn't answer his phone and I said I hadn't talked to him for a week or so. I was the emergency contact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Then what are they managing? Based on the OP's update, I thought it was perhaps 1 rogue employee. If you don't know what to do in a situation, you ask your boss. Wouldn't the office manager be involved in that conversation?
Mostly the office finances. No, it would not be likely that the office manager would be involved in a conversation such as was described in the OP. This office manager had not heard of the incident.

As far as asking what to do, in my office the person on the phone would ask the "phone nurse" who was kind of the head nurse for that day. The likelihood of a "rogue employee" just taking this upon herself is, IMO, slim to none. That goes double, at least, for a new employee, which was presumed by one poster.

Old 05-14-2018, 10:50 PM

343 posts, read 229,561 times
I understand why the OP felt embarrassed but I don't understand the outrage people are showing here. I think it's a good thing that people are willing to risk being wrong and potentially embarrassing someone when they are seriously worried if that person is having a medical emergency. Most people probably wouldn't just because they might be wrong and be seen as over-reacting.

I wouldn't really care who made the decision to call the police for the wellness check. Somebody who felt it was necessary and cared about the wellbeing of the OP did it. It's not like they intended to inconvenience or humiliate anyone.

I think a view I'm not seeing expressed here is that this is a pretty humanly decent thing to do- to risk being wrong and feel guilty for embarrassing someone (because we do feel guilt if we unintentionally do so). I go through this with my elderly dad. Sometimes he doesn't answer the phone for days or weeks and I panic but I know if I show up at his door he gets offended that we assumed something bad had happened. If I found out that he'd had a wellness check requested by one of his doctor's or their staff (any of them) I'd be relieved to know that he is getting quality care.

Old 05-15-2018, 12:44 AM

371 posts, read 287,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeMachine View Post
Something very embarrassing happened today and I am happy for any advice on how to move past it. Today I left two separate voicemails, somewhat lengthy, on the answering machine for the Pediatric orthopedist detailing some changes I needed to upcoming appointments. I repeated phone numbers, birthdays, everything they asked me to leave in the voicemail and yet somehow they do not call me back. Instead they call the police thinking I'm drunk or in need of medical assistance and of course the police come out and cause consternation where my kids are now scared and not sure why the police are knocking on the door. Most bizarre over-reaction I have no idea why the person thought this other than maybe my voice sounded bad from a cold or who knows what I have no idea. I am very flummoxed by this and have no idea what to do now. Should I just pretend like this misunderstanding never happened and continue on scheduling and working with the orthopedist office? I just feel like I want to move along and find a new doctor as if I can never face them again. Has something like this ever happened to anyone else? I just wanted to move an appointment!
find a competant orthopedist. I wquld be concerned about someone like this operating on my daughter

Old 05-15-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndCatsForAll View Post
I understand why the OP felt embarrassed but I don't understand the outrage people are showing here. I think it's a good thing that people are willing to risk being wrong and potentially embarrassing someone when they are seriously worried if that person is having a medical emergency. Most people probably wouldn't just because they might be wrong and be seen as over-reacting.

I wouldn't really care who made the decision to call the police for the wellness check. Somebody who felt it was necessary and cared about the wellbeing of the OP did it. It's not like they intended to inconvenience or humiliate anyone.

I think a view I'm not seeing expressed here is that this is a pretty humanly decent thing to do- to risk being wrong and feel guilty for embarrassing someone (because we do feel guilt if we unintentionally do so). I go through this with my elderly dad. Sometimes he doesn't answer the phone for days or weeks and I panic but I know if I show up at his door he gets offended that we assumed something bad had happened. If I found out that he'd had a wellness check requested by one of his doctor's or their staff (any of them) I'd be relieved to know that he is getting quality care.
In fairness, a couple of people did say something to that effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItIsWritten. View Post
find a competant orthopedist. I wquld be concerned about someone like this operating on my daughter
First off, this has nothing to do with the doctor's skills as an ortho. Secondly, see the above and read through the thread.

Old 05-15-2018, 10:56 AM

371 posts, read 287,817 times
[quote=Katarina Witt;51899765
First off, this has nothing to do with the doctor's skills as an ortho. Secondly, see the above and read through the thread.[/QUOTE]
You do not know that. This shows a lack of discernment at best. A skill I'd prefer my Surgeon POSESS.

This guy doesn't seem very smart.

Again, find another Orthopedist. I can recommend my Brother if you are in Arizona.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting