Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 09:05 PM

19,480 posts, read 24,975,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeMachine View Post
Wow that certainly is some scary food for thought I left the voicemail during a few minutes between several tasks at work and I certainly hope if I was in this state one of my nearby co-workers would have noticed however they are all as shocked as I am. However what you said is very interesting I have never considered that possibility. I did not call them back as I discovered the police were now looking for me only once I arrived home and the doctor office was shut. I suppose my best plan is to wait until Monday, call them, and just let them know there seems to have been some sort of drastic miscommunication
If you were at work and no one noticed anything wrong with you then it probably wasn't a TIA/mini-stroke. I was concerned that you were home alone when you called the doctor's office. Many people miss the symptoms of mini-strokes in themselves and the symptoms can be fleeting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 09:16 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,599,006 times
There are so many ways this could have been a misunderstanding and not an actual medical issue.

If you were in your car ...

If you were holding your phone in a way that obscured the microphone ...

If your speaker is malfunctioning ...

If you were in a room with background noise...

Call them the first thing Monday and make them tell you what the heck is going on. This is very odd.

Old 05-04-2018, 09:23 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,910,921 times
Quote:
Thank you I am torn between just pretending it did not happen and at least saying sooooo... how about those police officers LOL. I mean I know I don't have the voice of an American Idol, but I did not realize it was this bad hee-hee
I certainly don't think it's anything you should be embarrassed about but something you should be concerned about. If it was me I would want to know who at the Drs office called the police and why. Just tell them something must have really been lost in translation. If you are comfortable and confident in the Dr then I wouldn't let an issue with the the staff keep me from coming back. Wow- how bizarre-good luck!

Old 05-04-2018, 09:42 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,739,577 times
That's really strange. I would ask them about it Monday morning.

You said your child has to have another surgery. Does that mean this doctor has done other surgery on your child? If so, an effort to put this behind you and keep seeing the same doctor is probably in your child's best interests, just because it's not ideal to change doctors partway through a series of procedures.

Old 05-04-2018, 10:05 PM

7,154 posts, read 3,970,131 times
Talk directly with the doctor in private. He/she needs to know. This may not be the first time his staff has acted weirdly.

Old 05-04-2018, 10:11 PM

741 posts, read 1,283,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Talk directly with the doctor in private. He/she needs to know. This may not be the first time his staff has acted weirdly.
Interesting idea. I am going to keep this in my back pocket. The surgery is fairly close and I don't want any weirdness or bad vibes in the doctor's mind leading up to the surgery regarding our professional relationship. Perhaps after the surgery I could review my overall experience regarding how his practice handled my scheduling voicemails. This whole thing makes me want to cry, probably because I just hate being embarrassed and then having to go back to face people blah.

Old 05-04-2018, 10:23 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,268,826 times
Oh gosh, OP, I understand your embarrassment, but there's really no reason to feel that way. Here's what I recommend...

Before you walk back into the office on Monday, take a deep breath, square your shoulders, and walk confidently to the front desk and sign your child in. Then, ask if you can speak privately with the receptionist. Explain that you were contacted by police for a welfare check and that you want him or her to know that you appreciated the vigilance in ensuring that you were okay; however, you are confused about what set off alarm bells for them. Ask if you can hear the message so you can ascertain what might have sounded off about your call. Then thank them again for sending someone to check up on you and go on with your day.

As far as your children as concerned, I would just explain to them that your phone message to the doctor's office was garbled and that the nurse was worried that something was wrong so she sent someone to check on you, and "Aren't we lucky that there are community helpers like police officers and firefighters whose job it is to do things like that? Although it was just a misunderstanding this time, if we had really been hurt or in danger, we could count of them to help us." And then if your kids do not know how to call 911, this is your time to teach them what to do in an emergency.

Last edited by randomparent; 05-04-2018 at 11:38 PM..

Old 05-04-2018, 10:29 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,201,070 times
Why the embarrassment????? They were wrong, correct?

Old 05-04-2018, 10:43 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,599,006 times
Quote:
Interesting idea. I am going to keep this in my back pocket.
It needs to be the FIRST thing you do.

You don't need to be embarrassed. You just need to find out what exactly happened.

Old 05-04-2018, 10:47 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,592,902 times
What I don't understand is why you don't ask them why they interpreted a normal message as someone needing an intervention. It's kind of bizarre. I would drop into the office and ask to talk to the manager and find out what went wrong on their end.

Why would you be embarrassed if you did nothing wrong?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting