U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 02:21 PM

1 posts, read 678 times

Advertisements

My son is in 5th grade and has been getting bad grades. As a punishment I told him he needs to do one page of math (what ever part they are learning currently) reading for 45 minutes and 10 sentences about what he read, then and only then Will he be able to watch tv or play his video games, until he picks his grades up. My wife seems to think this punishment is too harsh. Is this punishment too harsh? Please help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2018, 02:25 PM

39,060 posts, read 37,695,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcernedDad123 View Post
My son is in 5th grade and has been getting bad grades. As a punishment I told him he needs to do one page of math (what ever part they are learning currently) reading for 45 minutes and 10 sentences about what he read, then and only then Will he be able to watch tv or play his video games, until he picks his grades up. My wife seems to think this punishment is too harsh. Is this punishment too harsh? Please help.
It's not that it's too harsh.

It's that you are making something helpful into a punishment. Homework is not supposed to be a penalty, and you don't want him to grow up thinking it is. He NEEDS to do homework to supplement his classroom learning, and using it to penalize him could cause him to develop an aversion to it.

Besides, y'all need to look at the root of the problem. WHY are his grades bad? If the work is too hard or he doesn't know how to study, he doesn't need to be punished. He needs HELP.

If he's too focused on playing video games, limit those, and get him the kind of help to build his study habits. Then his grades will improve.

Old 05-05-2018, 02:53 PM

6,737 posts, read 2,619,543 times
I agree with Birdie - this isn't supposed to be a "punishment". This is how to solve the problem of him being behind in school.

Read more, practice math more.

Old 05-05-2018, 04:42 PM

10,090 posts, read 6,495,844 times
What is behind the slipping in grades?

Old 05-05-2018, 07:04 PM

16,484 posts, read 15,923,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
It's not that it's too harsh.

It's that you are making something helpful into a punishment. Homework is not supposed to be a penalty, and you don't want him to grow up thinking it is. He NEEDS to do homework to supplement his classroom learning, and using it to penalize him could cause him to develop an aversion to it.

Besides, y'all need to look at the root of the problem. WHY are his grades bad? If the work is too hard or he doesn't know how to study, he doesn't need to be punished. He needs HELP.

If he's too focused on playing video games, limit those, and get him the kind of help to build his study habits. Then his grades will improve.
Good points.

Check with his teacher to try to figure out why he is suddenly having so many problems.

Old 05-05-2018, 08:13 PM

10,382 posts, read 2,816,810 times
First, you want to find out why he is struggling, and after you have done that, you want to instill a love of learning. Giving him extra work and presenting it as punishment is not likely to accomplish this.

Reading, especially, should be presented as a pleasurable activity. Do you set an example in this way, or do you treat it as a chore yourself? We didn't have video games when I was that age, but we did have TV, of course. We also had lots of books, and my parents started taking me to the library once a week when I was very small. They read for their own pleasure, and they read to me. I still love books, and would rather read than almost anything else in the world.

Last edited by Catgirl64; 05-05-2018 at 08:29 PM..

Old 05-05-2018, 09:36 PM

10,638 posts, read 3,316,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcernedDad123 View Post

My daughter does that AND MORE everyday as part of her regular given homework, so I don't see how that's punishment? Doesn't your child receive homework? If not than I can see it as punishment in his eyes, but personally your son should be practicing math, reading, spelling and vocabulary EVERYDAY! If he's not, than that's probably why he's getting bad grades!

I suggest you start a daily homework routine ASAP, speak to his teacher and also see if his school offers a tutoring program.

Old 05-05-2018, 10:58 PM

2,902 posts, read 1,021,414 times
If your goal is to make him hate school with a passion, keep up that kind of punishment.

Ugh.

Old 05-05-2018, 11:09 PM

7,098 posts, read 2,213,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
My daughter does that AND MORE everyday as part of her regular given homework, so I don't see how that's punishment? Doesn't your child receive homework? If not than I can see it as punishment in his eyes, but personally your son should be practicing math, reading, spelling and vocabulary EVERYDAY! If he's not, than that's probably why he's getting bad grades!

I suggest you start a daily homework routine ASAP, speak to his teacher and also see if his school offers a tutoring program.
When I was in school, we were given no homework at all, until math class, in the 7th grade. But we had good teachers and I guess most of us paid attention to the instruction we were given in class. When our class members were seniors in a large high school, we all took a 12-hour, comprehensive achievement test. We got the highest average score of any public school in the nation. The one school that had a higher average, was a private boarding school, that was just 25% as large and admitted only top-level students.

I, for one, did a lot of reading and studying independently and I think many of my schoolmates did the same. We wanted to learn and so we did. Motivation, not forced learning, is the key to academic success.

Old 05-06-2018, 07:47 AM

5,081 posts, read 6,229,549 times
I don't think it's too harsh, but I think it may not have the results you intend. If he already hates doing schoolwork, this is just going to make him hate it more. I would be more apt to take the TV and games away completely until his grades improve. And take them every time the slip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting