U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 10:23 AM

1 posts, read 606 times

Advertisements

So, my best friend n I got a house together. She has two kids whom I love like my own neice n nephew. I've been around alot since they were born. They are both so intelligent, and they are, for the most part, good kids.

She split with their dad, and she works a low paying job to support them. I work alot and consequently am not home often.

These kids run over her. The youngest, in kindergarten, won't do her schoolwork. Andi (the mother) was dragging the youngest across the room trying to get her dressed for school. The oldest throws tantrums sometimes so bad he leaves marks on his mom.

I believe in spanking children responsibly. It should be sudden and sturdy. But i feel like I'm out of line when I want to discipline them. And I wouldn't even know where to start.

I come from a home where the children were focused on school work and disciplined responsibly. We never fought with our parents until late in highschool and for the most part, did what we were supposed to do.

I'm not saying my household was great, but we all ended up hardworking, responsible adults who do reasonably well at everything we try to do.

I love these kids. I want them to be successful and have satisfying lives. I dont know what to do, or if I should do anything at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2018, 10:26 AM

10,634 posts, read 17,902,595 times
You can't spank someone else's children, even if they're your roommates.

Your roommate needs to ask her son's pediatrician what to do about the tantrums.

Old 05-09-2018, 10:43 AM

9,983 posts, read 6,054,423 times
Mind your own business. Don't hit children. You don't know what she is dealing with.

Old 05-09-2018, 12:22 PM

2,243 posts, read 4,671,527 times
You're renting, I hope? Stay out of it.

Old 05-09-2018, 01:43 PM

13,881 posts, read 19,801,667 times
Spanking isn't the issue. These aren't your kids, you need to stay out of it.

Old 05-09-2018, 04:39 PM

24,105 posts, read 27,819,147 times
I don't think most parents spank anymore. It's been shown to be detrimental. You absolutely may not spank someone elses kids! Don't even think about it. This is your best friend? Had you not spent any time around her kids before you decided to move in together?

Old 05-09-2018, 04:46 PM

583 posts, read 221,330 times
Personally, I'd stay out of it. People generally don't appreciate unsolicited parenting advice and it really isn't your place to discipline your friend's children. If the situation becomes unbearable you can always opt not to renew a lease with her.

Old 05-09-2018, 04:51 PM

15,376 posts, read 14,730,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
You can't spank someone else's children, even if they're your roommates.

Your roommate needs to ask her son's pediatrician what to do about the tantrums.
I agree. Your room mate also needs to work with the teachers and school on the homework and school related issues.

I bet that if the oldest child is physically violent against his mother (leaving marks/bruises), he is also having behavioral problems at school.

Old 05-09-2018, 05:01 PM

4,011 posts, read 5,686,527 times
Are these kids doing anything to make your life uncomfortable? Are they bothering, disturbing, or hurting you (or your belongings)? If so, I would talk to the Mom specifically about that and how to control/end the children's behavior insofar as it affects you personally. You are the roommate and live there so I think that would be a valid concern. But beyond that, you don't have a horse in this race. Stay out of it. And as others have said, do not hit other people's kids. Even if Mom says you can, in this situation it's a really bad idea.

Old 05-09-2018, 05:06 PM

18,335 posts, read 1,663,874 times
Is this a romantic relationship or just room mates? If you have long term romantic ideas with her, then you definitely need to be on the same page & ask her to talk to drs & teachers etc. If it is purely economic arrangement, steer clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or