U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 03:49 PM

8,007 posts, read 5,261,837 times

Advertisements

I was just commenting on today in society in general with my post. I was not suggesting that babies in public should be vulnerable to assault, although there was a report of a screamer getting slapped recently. But if you think it could never happen, spend a session on youtube watching "Road Rage:" videos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2018, 09:11 PM

20,820 posts, read 22,392,071 times
Buy him a seat. Not only will it make him more comfortable and less likely to become a potential human missel should the plane hit heavy turbulence, it will make it easier on you too.

Old 05-13-2018, 09:12 PM

1,747 posts, read 854,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I am sorry for your loss. Deeply sorry. We will have to agree to disagree. I don't see any problem traveling with infants or toddlers. I did get thrown in the deep end as I adopted internationally and flying with an infant was a requirement to get home.

I find it much harder to travel with older kids. Not because of behavior but because their routines get messed up and they miss things like sports or school. Coming back from a trip with them, I need a vacation. And there is much more "go go go" as they want to see all the sights and don't need mid day naps (although we still always have a mid-day break)

I would have never left my kids with "child care" for an extended period. To me that is a terrible idea.
Part of the beauty of making family visit your infant rather than the other way round, is that grandma, grandpa, auntie, whoever can watch the little one while you and the spouse go away for a much needed weekend retreat. You can't do that if your weekend retreat involves carting an unhappy baby cross country to see the same family members who could have come to see you AND gotten to spend one on one time with their new family member.

Old 05-13-2018, 09:19 PM

25,161 posts, read 24,062,887 times
It will be hell. Resign yourself to being ON the entire time. Period. Sing and dance in a top hat and turn cartwheels (this is metaphorical) and do whatever the hell it takes. You will constantly be trying to keep him entertained. But in the end...it IS only two hours. Just psych yourself for it.

Buy the seat. Period. Or else don't go.

Bring new toys, as people said. Bring snacks he isn't usually allowed to have. Plug him into a kid's movie. Anything.

You don't have the usual control because you are stuck in the air on a plane. At home you can be the good parent that everyone applauds. You can enforce timeout through bloodcurdling screams. You can let him cry until he vomits rather than give into a sugary snack. But here, in this enclosed area, it is absolutely cruel to the other passengers to have a kid shriek for 50% of a flight if you can in any way help it. I say this as a parent, BTW. I did a 5-hour flight with an autistic non-verbal toddler. So I do get it.

People will say, "Oh no, you really MUST teach your child to behave like a good soldier, my own little darling sat up straight and gurgled contentedly at six months of age on a 10-hour flight and even politely adjusted his own seatbelt and napped on command, society has just gone to the dogs with toddlers acting exactly as if they're, well, toddlers, the horror." Whatever. YOUR kid doesn't fall into an adorable little unrealistic line like that and he hates sitting in a lap. NOW is not the time to *start* putting your foot down. That time is in your own home, or dragged out of a store or whatever. Not on a flight where the passengers are at your mercy.

JMHO.

Old 05-14-2018, 05:34 AM

6,992 posts, read 8,158,012 times
What's a "baby" and what's an "emergency"?

What do you mean what is a baby? I think that's pretty self explanatory.

We just had a baby in the extended family, the first of the millennials to have a child. It's brought back all of the stress of having a newborn to me. It's sort of like having major surgery. Yeah, you stay close to home for a while. But how long is a while? I recall when I had my second, just six weeks before a high school reunion. The doctor told me there was no medical reason not to fly out there and attend. I ended up not going, but for other reasons.

You stay until the child is not going to cry like a baby would and they learn how to act. Probably a bit of flexibility.

Re: emergencies-Is wanting to see your brother who has COPD and can't handle the altitude in Denver an "emergency"?
This would be an emergency. A funeral would also be one and you could possibly say this about a weekend. A family trip to Disney World for example? Wait until the kid is older and will remember it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting