Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 04:57 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,859,085 times

Advertisements

After completing a short roundtrip to see my parents around Xmas time (on the plane for a little over 2 hours each way), we're making the same trip this evening and hoping for better results.

Our first trip saw mixed results (slept for 90% of first flight, screamed for over 50% of 2nd flight) and I'd like to see what advice experienced parents had for dealing with their own babies on the plane.

Our little one will be sitting on our lap for the flight but hates to sit on our lap in general and is typically very squirmy and loud when he's in an uncomfortable position.

Some things we'll be trying to make the flight easier...

-trying to keep him up during the afternoon so he avoids his 2nd nap and is more tired later on
-bottle feed him during the flight's ascension and descension
-Ipad with his favorite sing-a-longs downloaded
-Ibuprofen and Orajel before the flight (teething)

Thanks for all suggestions in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 05:05 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,696,461 times
Nyquil.

Ok, in all seriousness - your list so far is pretty spot on. You need some things to divert his attention. When we did this with a 9 month old, we relied mostly on something new he handn't seen before that he could manipulate. We had a really tiny bead maze that he was fascinated with. My wife and I took turns with him so he'd see a new face. We also brought a book that had a hand puppet - that worked for like 45 minutes.

The key thing... patience. And don't worry about other passengers. Other passengers likely fall in two categories: the few that are vocal about how miserable your child's crying is making them and the many others that are silent yet grateful that you are doing what you can.

And if all else fails, get yourself a drink in flight. Oh, and just general parenting advice - don't get angry with your spouse (I'm inferring from your post that you are traveling with someone else) because of how the child is reacting. Your spouse or travel partner is pretty much on your side and just want to get through this ordeal as much as you want to get through it.

Old 05-10-2018, 06:32 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,876,043 times
High value snacks (stuff you don't give often but kid loves)
Small new toys

Honestly, I would have bought a seat for baby if it was that bad when you did it before. I would also be careful skipping naps. It might really backfire. My kids couldn't sleep on a plane when they were little. Skipping their nap just made them more grumpy.

Old 05-10-2018, 06:45 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,466,587 times
If baby hates being on the lap, why subject him to that? Purchase an extra seat for him and use an airline infant seat so he can be comfortable.

Old 05-10-2018, 06:49 AM

407 posts, read 369,875 times
I echo the sentiment about being careful about skipping a nap. Overtired kids can be WAY worse than just an annoyed kid that can't move around much.

Is he walking yet? Or at least able to wobble along with his hands being held up? I'd walk the aisles or carry him up & down the aisle if he get restless so he can see new things.

The previous posters had good tips - new toys, yummy snacks.

Old 05-10-2018, 07:06 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,580 posts, read 17,923,325 times
I agree with getting him a seat of his own, and providing a box of fun toys. I would even bring a carry on box, and every 15 minutes or so he gets to open a new toy - like dollar store stuff, or maybe it would be a wrapped snack.

I would be wary of too many meds - those packages say "may cause excitability, especially in children" for a reason.

Old 05-10-2018, 07:17 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,581,696 times
New toys and a little Benadryl can go a long way. Let him fly in his pjs and use bribery. Fruit snacks worked well for our son at that age - one per 5 mins of good behavior is what we did on flights. But honestly if all else fails then just buy a drink and ride it out.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:08 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,068,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
New toys and a little Benadryl can go a long way. Let him fly in his pjs and use bribery. Fruit snacks worked well for our son at that age - one per 5 mins of good behavior is what we did on flights. But honestly if all else fails then just buy a drink and ride it out.

Might even get one for yourself too!

Old 05-10-2018, 09:21 AM

5,449 posts, read 4,042,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
I notice the Benadryl package now says, "do not use to make children sleepy."

I had a friend who, many years ago, relied on paregoric. Don't think that is available any more.

Old 05-10-2018, 09:35 AM

7 posts, read 6,847 times
Good tips on here. A few more:

Smiles and kindness to all of your neighbors. Catch eye contact.

Letting things slide off your back. A 13 month old baby can't like an adult. Don't expect him to and don't let other people who don't know or have forgotten what it's like to be a parent of a toddler bother you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting