U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 09:12 AM

6,127 posts, read 4,554,184 times

Advertisements

Just ask Mom. Or your Mom.

On a practical level she might have ideas of what the kid will eat, what she wants her to eat, etc...

On an impractical level she might be reading too many Mommy Blogs and freak out because there was orange dye in the crackers you gave her.

My wife was hired to potty train a child and the mom flipped her lid when she found her giving the kid m&m's (they had food dye obviously) as a reward for using the potty. Funny, this mom agreed to pay hundreds of dollars then wanted to question how she was doing it...Felt that a little kid should intellectually understand and want to use the potty...Some people...But I digress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 09:51 AM

1,745 posts, read 1,031,335 times
Honestly asking why you'd have to feed a 3-year-old every 2 hours? As soon as my kids could hold a fork it was 3 meals a day plus snack. Seems odd... and a perfectly good reason why the kid is turning away food.

Old 05-10-2018, 09:57 AM

83,170 posts, read 95,840,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
you could always hit up the ethnic/asian stores and get exotic snacks... introduce them to food from around the world in bite sized packages

those yogurt covered fruit snacks are tasty, like th yogurt coffee bean/chocolate but with fruits <-- very high in sugar, kid shouldnt have more than one or two

ayran is a yogurt drink too, but not sweet and american kids may not like it
Unless the OP's employer has given him/her money to buy food, that is not his/her responsibility. S/he could make suggestions or bring something along for a special treat.

Old 05-10-2018, 09:59 AM

473 posts, read 329,147 times
The parents should be giving you guidance and what a typical day/foods are like for their kid--every kid is so different.

Here is what my almost 3 year old eats in a day (she drinks no milk, only water, fyi. If kids drink a lot of milk, they will have a reduced appetitite).

breakfast: 1 egg, a lot of fruit (like a mixture of strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, and half a banana made into a fruit salad) and 3 mini pancakes or a chocolate-zucchini muffin. Or we do a bowl of oatmeal with fruit. Occasionally cheerios with almond milk and fruit.

Am snack around 10 am: very small. Water and maybe a granola bar, a kid's size RX bar, a banana, a couple of mandarin oranges, etc.

11:45 am: lunch-- I always offer 1-2 vegetables and a protein. So something like rotisserie chicken cubes, sweet potato fries, and broccoli.

nap

3 pm: pm snack-- something small again like a whole milk yogurt with granola and fruit mixed in, a piece of cheese with (cut long ways) grapes, crackers and hummus, dried peas and guacamole, etc.

6pm: dinner--again, I stick to the 1 protein and 1-2 vegetable sides formula. Usually I offer 1 "real" vegetable and 1 starchy vegetable. So dinner might be baked salmon, with a side of cubed new potatoes and roasted asparagus. Or chicken fried rice with riced cauliflower mixed into the real rice. If we have pasta (usually 1x a week), I mix pureed butternut squash into the red sauce before mixing it with italian sausage and the pasta (I let my kids pick the shape each week), that way they still get a veggie when they eat a bowl of pasta.

My general food rules are: I aim for no *added* sugars (natural sugars are fine with me), I aim for organic or grassfed/free range/wild caught when possible in my budget, I read labels carefully, and I really try to offer 3-5 servings of fruit and vegetables, healthy proteins and fats, and less-processed grains a day. When I'm having one of those days and I don't have time or the inclination to really cook something, then at minimum, I try to pair something processed (like fish sticks or chicken nuggets) with two unprocessed things like steamed broccoli and an ear of corn. Or If I buy frozen french fries or something, then I pair those with a roasted/steamed veg and a less processed main like homemade burger patties, or wild caught fish.

Old 05-10-2018, 10:20 AM

21 posts, read 8,757 times
I have a 3 year old. He is in daycare during the week but this is his weekend schedule.

Breakfast at 8:30 (cup of milk, a banana and 6 mini pancakes)

Lunch at 12. (peanut butter sandwich or grilled cheese)

Snack at 3 (a fruit bar and a fruit squeeze pouch)

Dinner at 6 (pasta or chicken and vegetables)

Dessert at 6:30 (usually an apple and a rice cake or a cookie/piece of cake on the weekends when at grandpas)

Old 05-10-2018, 12:05 PM

2,216 posts, read 1,079,967 times
At three my child ate on a typical day:

Breakfast: milk and oatmeal with blueberries mixed in
Snack: piece of fruit and some goldfish
Lunch: chicken, peas and rice
Snack:fruit and crackers or veggies and hummus
Dinner: whatever the family ate

Bedtime was so close to dinner we never did dessert.

Old 05-10-2018, 12:19 PM

93 posts, read 25,783 times
3 yr olds are funny acting when it comes to food

Old 05-10-2018, 01:34 PM

8,790 posts, read 3,117,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Unless the OP's employer has given him/her money to buy food, that is not his/her responsibility. S/he could make suggestions or bring something along for a special treat.
maybe, i figured she would ask for a higher babysitting rate since food is part of it, besides snacks are cheap enough that it wouldnt cost much. babysitters make what $30/hr?

Old 05-10-2018, 01:45 PM

83,170 posts, read 95,840,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
maybe, i figured she would ask for a higher babysitting rate since food is part of it, besides snacks are cheap enough that it wouldnt cost much. babysitters make what $30/hr?
Maybe? People shouldn't be expected to have to buy supplies for the workplace, in any job. This is especially true in babysitting in someone else's home, and especially for the food. And the national average for a babysitter is $13.44/hr, the going rate about $14/hr. Where did you get this $30/hr idea?
https://lifehacker.com/this-calculat...aby-1711689076

Old 05-10-2018, 02:13 PM

4,682 posts, read 4,468,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agreen9189 View Post
3 yr olds are funny acting when it comes to food
Pro tip: Give 'em a little whiskey and they'll eat most stuff.

Edit: also good for sleeping and anxiety.

Last edited by G-fused; 05-10-2018 at 03:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or