U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 04:19 PM

27,336 posts, read 17,536,235 times

Advertisements

What is acceptable food should be determined by the parents.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum (on loan)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 05:10 PM

15,819 posts, read 18,381,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GummyShark View Post
I'm babysitting and I know I have to feed her every 2 hours but I'm not sure what or how much. She'll turn away food sometimes but will still be hungry so it's hard to gauge. I'm assuming it would be something like a small snack for adults? Ie: a handful of crackers with cheese, a tube of yogurt, half an apple, etc?
Breakfast, lunch and dinner. A snack about 10am.....and one after her nap, well before dinner.

Look online for easy kids meals that are healthy and easy. Kids that age often are taking an interest in helping make their own snacks, or lunches. Have fun and remember to play a lot, it's the best thing folks can do with kids.

Old 05-10-2018, 09:01 PM

583 posts, read 249,785 times
Maybe it's different nowadays, but I used to babysit a lot in high school and the mom would always tell me how she wanted the kids fed when I got to the house. You really shouldn't have to take it upon yourself to shop for food or plan menus.

Old 05-10-2018, 11:14 PM

7,040 posts, read 2,184,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsadaisy View Post
That stuff or little snacks here and there. Mac n cheese, chicken nuggets any kind of finger foods or snacks. mashed potatoes etc.

You're talking about the McDonald's menu here. Not healthy for anyone and certainly not for small children, even though you've said you eat it every day.

Old 05-11-2018, 05:47 AM

4,994 posts, read 4,804,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklesNShine View Post
Maybe it's different nowadays, but I used to babysit a lot in high school and the mom would always tell me how she wanted the kids fed when I got to the house. You really shouldn't have to take it upon yourself to shop for food or plan menus.
What's different nowadays is that people don't say nowadays.

Old 05-11-2018, 06:51 AM

6,598 posts, read 2,567,081 times
I don't understand.

Is there some reason the child's parents are unable to give you instructions?

Old 05-11-2018, 06:59 AM

42,167 posts, read 49,629,449 times
Here's my 3 year old's sample daily menu (from yesterday):

Breakfast: cheese omelet, apple, chicken sausage

Morning snack: peanut butter on 9 grain bread

Lunch: chicken breast, carrots, steamed broccoli

Afternoon snack: cucumber, bell pepper, raisins, string cheese

Dinner: whole grain spaghetti with grass-fed ground beef, yogurt, pomegranate, mixed veggies

Drinks water.

Old 05-11-2018, 07:12 AM

10,638 posts, read 3,287,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Just ask Mom. Or your Mom.

On a practical level she might have ideas of what the kid will eat, what she wants her to eat, etc...

On an impractical level she might be reading too many Mommy Blogs and freak out because there was orange dye in the crackers you gave her.

My wife was hired to potty train a child and the mom flipped her lid when she found her giving the kid m&m's (they had food dye obviously) as a reward for using the potty. Funny, this mom agreed to pay hundreds of dollars then wanted to question how she was doing it...Felt that a little kid should intellectually understand and want to use the potty...Some people...But I digress.
Yes, ask mom and dad for a menu plan! When my mother watched my kids overnight I always gave her a meal plan so she wouldn't have to guess what they would eat. That way you're making what the child likes. I doubt the child eats every 2 hours! meals, several snacks.

Old 05-11-2018, 10:16 AM

6,114 posts, read 5,136,231 times
My grandson is now four, but remembering back to last summer when I babysat him during the week, I'd give him choices. Kids that age (and older) like having choices. When he'd say to me, "I'm very very hungry!" it was time to eat.

For breakfast, I'd ask him if he wanted oatmeal, pancakes, scrambled eggs, or french toast. Then we'd go outside to play, ending up with his favorite summer activity...picking berries. He'd eat at least a half pint of blackberries or strawberries. Later, mid morning, he'd eat some yogurt with more berries or fruit. Then for lunch I'd again give him a choice...his mom does a cooking marathon every Sunday so she always has homemade pizza, vegetarian chili (they are vegetarian), black bean soup, butternut squash soup, etc.

Every day we'd go out to the garden and pick string beans and zucchini. Kids don't seem to fight eating vegetables when they help grow and pick them. His favorites are steamed string beans and zucchini fritters. He'd have a mid afternoon snack...always a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Sometimes for supper he'd also ask for PB and J, or a toasted cheese sandwich, but his favorite is what he still calls "bread"...a small quesadilla I make him with 6" tortillas, filled with black beans, corn, diced fresh tomatoes, and pepperjack cheese.

Now that he's older, he eats more at one sitting and asks less frequently for snacks. Every Saturday morning, I make him and his baby brother their favorite breakfast...blueberry pancakes. It's typical for him to eat four or five large pancakes with butter and maple syrup, and then not even be hungry hours later when it's lunchtime.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 05-11-2018 at 10:29 AM..

Old 05-11-2018, 01:03 PM

721 posts, read 212,804 times
try to feed a child fresh fruit, fresh veggies (make it fun, ants on a log/celery/raisins/cream cheese) ....... try to avoid highly processed foods, canned foods are usually high in sodium and have too many preservatives....... as a grandma i stay out of the aisles, where all the unhealthy food are and have too much sugar, stay away from over processed white breads and instead use a whole grain bread for sandwiches, my grandkids get dave's killer bread, natural peanut butter or cream cheese with a no sugar added jelly sandwich. feed a child from the perimeter of a grocery store and read the labels carefully in the processed meats dept..... and really? read those yogurt labels, yogurt is often very very high in sugar, there are healthier kinds like Siggi's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or