U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 06:39 AM

2,745 posts, read 2,084,935 times

Advertisements

I'm babysitting and I know I have to feed her every 2 hours but I'm not sure what or how much. She'll turn away food sometimes but will still be hungry so it's hard to gauge. I'm assuming it would be something like a small snack for adults? Ie: a handful of crackers with cheese, a tube of yogurt, half an apple, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 07:13 AM

4,081 posts, read 3,062,520 times
Breakfast might be a yogurt tube, a half an apple and some Cheerios. Snack might be cheese cubes and sliced avocado. Lunch, grilled ham and cheese and grapes (cut into quarters to prevent choking). Snack, goldfish crackers and half a banana. Dinner, whatever the family is having.

She might not eat every two hours. I let my kids graze at that age but other people prefer set times. If she doesn’t want her 10 am snack and is hungry at 11, you can give her the snack or her lunch. It’s not anything scientific... if she’s hungry, she will eat.

Old 05-10-2018, 07:33 AM

1,170 posts, read 609,263 times
That stuff or little snacks here and there. Mac n cheese, chicken nuggets any kind of finger foods or snacks. mashed potatoes etc.

Old 05-10-2018, 07:37 AM

2,310 posts, read 4,814,568 times
Every 2 hours?! 3 year olds are the worst when it comes to food. They can barely eat at all one day and be ravenous the next. 3 "meals" and 2 snacks should still cover it. More if they still seem really hungry. If you're just sitting occasionally I'd just let them graze. Leave fruit, veggies, crackers and yogurt available.

Old 05-10-2018, 07:43 AM

9,086 posts, read 3,701,709 times
babysitter, not chef, they didt hire you to plan the daily meals

how many hours are you babysitting should depend on what you feed them. if it is a few hours, parents can feed before and after you get there if they want the kid to be on a strict diet

if she is hungry, is she saying that because she wants a snack or do parents not feed her? not snacking wont kill her if you dont want to feed her but then hou get to listen to her cry about it

anyway, pick better grazing food besides sugared yogurt or salted cheese/crackers... get them some pickled cauliflower

Old 05-10-2018, 07:54 AM

5,016 posts, read 4,828,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
anyway, pick better grazing food besides sugared yogurt or salted cheese/crackers... get them some pickled cauliflower
+1 on the pickled cauliflower.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:14 AM

2,745 posts, read 2,084,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
babysitter, not chef, they didt hire you to plan the daily meals

how many hours are you babysitting should depend on what you feed them. if it is a few hours, parents can feed before and after you get there if they want the kid to be on a strict diet

if she is hungry, is she saying that because she wants a snack or do parents not feed her? not snacking wont kill her if you dont want to feed her but then hou get to listen to her cry about it

Wow, really ? Even I won't eat pickled cauliflower.

It's for family so I don't mind putting more thought into it.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:15 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,171,833 times
I have a 2 year old, 3 year old and 4 year old. I don't think feeding every two hours on the dot is entirely necessary. With that said, my kids are grazers so they do have small meals then a snack between meals.

Ask the parents what kinds of food the child normally likes.

My children like toast, scrambled eggs (usually 1 slice of toast and about half an egg each) along with fresh fruit (grapes, strawberries, apples, bananas, mandarins, watermelon, etc etc) for breakfast. My 3 year old is partial to oatmeal, too.

For snacks, as others suggested, yogurt is good (I make my own, but that wouldn't be expected of you I'm sure), as is unsweetened Apple Sauce (the pouches make for less mess but the jars are cheaper), baby carrots and pretzels with hummus, more fruit.

Nice Cream is also often a hit, especially in Summer (frozen bananas, frozen strawberries, a touch of yogurt and milk all mixed up in the food processor to make an easy soft serve "ice cream").

My kids also occasionally like Graham Crackers.

For Dinner, I just plate them up a small portion of whatever I've cooked for Dh and I. If they eat it, awesome. If they try it and genuinely don't like it, I'll make them a sandwich instead.

Old 05-10-2018, 09:01 AM

331 posts, read 151,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GummyShark View Post
Wow, really ? Even I won't eat pickled cauliflower.

It's for family so I don't mind putting more thought into it.
Didn't the family give you any ideas or guidelines? I know when we had a babysitter watch our son, I let them know about his likes, dislikes, when he last ate, when he needs to eat, etc.

Old 05-10-2018, 09:04 AM

9,086 posts, read 3,701,709 times
you could always hit up the ethnic/asian stores and get exotic snacks... introduce them to food from around the world in bite sized packages

those yogurt covered fruit snacks are tasty, like th yogurt coffee bean/chocolate but with fruits <-- very high in sugar, kid shouldnt have more than one or two

ayran is a yogurt drink too, but not sweet and american kids may not like it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or